Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to stay in the centre of Boston

Options
  • 15-09-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I am going to Boston in December with the OH and am looking for somewhere to stay near Boston common.

Does anybody who has been there at that time of year have any suggestions where to stay and different stuff to do ?

Comments

I find the Revere hotel just off Charles St lovely and very central. Rates fluctuate wildly though - but we've gotten good deals on Kayak in the past. Before Christmas all the lights will be on and the atmosphere fantastic. Weather is usually cold but dry - snow usually doesn't arrive until January.

Things to do: shopping on Boylston/Newbury street and all the malls around Copley, drink hot chocolate almost anywhere, skating on the frog pond in the Common, visit the Aquarium, eat your way around North End (old Italian district), and take the T out to Harvard for more food/strolling around the place. Take in a show in the Theatre district (pricey though), oh and sometime in December I think there's the ice sculptures in Copley Square.
    I also like to head out to Southie - walk the Harbourwalk out or take a bus through the seaport district (past new courthouse and maybe taking in the children's museum, teaparty location, art institute etc) and then take a walk around pleasure bay/Castle island. And get some Boston Chowda in on the way back.
    Also worth visiting some of the old Boston-Irish pubs just for atmosphere and a pint, sounds a bit Oirish, but actually great fun. Google for these but there are some good ones in Cambridge and Somerville.

No end of good restaurants and bars in Boston either. It's a great town.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

Thanks for the info I will have a look at that hotel 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 42 caveatemptor1

We are just back from Boston and we stayed in the Taj hotel. the doors literally face Boston Common. Really central and nice hotel. But I also had recommendations for Ames hotel which is about a 10 min walk from the common downtown.

Do the freedom trail, self guided walking tour of historical sites.

Walk around different neighbourhoods - Beacon hill is beautiful and very central (lovely streets around Charles street), South End has lovely restaurants and boutiques, as mentioned above the North end is all about Italian food as mentioned by Cali Girl but also there is a lovely park (Wharf park I think its called) that has lots of food trucks popping up on it on various days. Fanueil Hall, Boston public market and Haymarket are all great in that area too.

You could do a day trip outside of the city, down to Plimouth Plantation which is great for learning about US history or Salem or even Provincetown via ferry (although not sure the ferry runs all year round and could be chilly!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

For people visiting Boston, i highly recommend they take a look at the new Envoy Hotel Rooftop bar, it has an awesome skyline view of the city, especially at night. I brought my parents and friends back home there and they loved it.

Obviously it'll only be open as long as the weather is good, so if you get a chance, go.

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-envoy-hotel-autograph-collection-boston

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

Thanks everybody for the comments a lot of great stuff to do that I would never have thought of .

I came across a good deal on the Sheraton hotel next to the prudential centre.

Would anybody have any comments on what that area is like and if you know what the hotel is like thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Warp up, Boston is seriously cold during winter.

[QUOTE=steokeogh;97034232

Would anybody have any comments on what that area is like and if you know what the hotel is like thanks[/QUOTE]

Great area - that's just off Boylston and a block or two from Copley Square.
    Haven't ever stayed there but have passed through/had coffee & drinks there several times. It's a big convention hotel (attached to convention centre) so will be impersonal and have a workaday type vibe. Walking distance to loads of things and on the green T line.

Have fun :) Now I want to go too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

steokeogh wrote: »

Would anybody have any comments on what that area is like and if you know what the hotel is like thanks

I stayed at the Sherston a couple years back for July 4th weekend and loved it. The rooms are nothing special but nice and clean. Ask for a room on one of the higher floors, I got a really amazing view of the city.

The best bit is the location, you can get the metro from the airport to the stop in the basement of the complex. It's attached to a mall so there is plenty of food options if you want a simple snack or non - fancy lunch, while Everywhere else in downtown is walking distance (if I remember correctly).

I found Boston a nice walkable city and would recommend one of the free walking tours. Make sure to get yourself a nice lobster roll, expensive but totally worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Let's have a boards Boston meet up ! A wonderful city.

Advertisement