Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrap Your O2 Money Card

• 15-09-2015 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

On the 16th of November your O2 Money Card (VISA) will be replaced by a
    3Money Card (Mastercard).

There is no monthly fee with an O2 card.
    There IS a monthly fee with the 3Money card.

Your balance will now be eaten away, bit by bit, unless you do regular big monthly top ups.
    Even then, it's more expensive to top up - you can't win!
    It's just corporate greed.

I'm going to switch to Swirlcard. (Any other suggestions anyone?)

Anyone like to start a Facebook campaign?

Fee PDFs for both are attached for your comparison.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Now that all banks offer Visa cards why do people still use these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

awec wrote: »
    why do people still use these things?

Because some people don't have bank accounts ...

and they are really useful when using an unknown website that doesn't take Paypal.
    It's an extra layer of security between your bank account and the big bad world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭125 Lime St

Anpost is looking like the best option now,too much fees with Swirlcard also

Anpost Costs

Card Free

Load/Reload Free

Purchases from merchants (eg. shops and restaurants)* Free

Monthly inactivity fee debited from your PostFX™ Currency Card
    if it has not been used for 12 months+

The only fees are for ATM withdrawals & Stamp Duty
    Fees are only applied to ATM withdrawals as per below:
    £1.50 Sterling, $2.50 US Dollars, AU$3.50 or CA$3.25 per withdrawal.
    Where the Card is used in a country that operates in a currency other than that on the card, transactions are charged at exchange rate of the day plus 5.75%. Please note that the Government of Ireland charges an annual stamp duty on prepaid card accounts. There is a €2.50 fee every year if the card is used in an ATM. There is also another €2.50 fee every year if the card is used in a point of sale transaction. Charges apply when there is a balance on the card at 31st December.
    http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Foreign+Exchange/Choose+the+PostFX+MasterCard+Currency+Card.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Anpost is looking like the best option now,too much fees with Swirlcard also

Anpost Costs

Card Free

Load/Reload Free

Purchases from merchants (eg. shops and restaurants)* Free

Monthly inactivity fee debited from your PostFX™ Currency Card
    if it has not been used for 12 months+

The only fees are for ATM withdrawals & Stamp Duty

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Money+Matters/Foreign+Exchange/Choose+the+PostFX+MasterCard+Currency+Card.htm
    Can one be used in Ireland Or in Euro. I only see options for Dollar,English Pound,Canadian Dollar or Aussie Dollar.

• Advertisement

I think its like a normal MasterCard but loaded with a foreign currency & that's the only catch,

It can be used in store and online,but has to loaded in one of those currencies.

So your gaming the currency market a bit,but there are no fees according to the website
    No Fees on Point of Sale transactions, fixed fees on ATM (Subject to local rules)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Surely the Revolut card is a no brainer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Surely the Revolut card is a no brainer?

Yes once you have a smartphone Revolut is the one to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

link on the revolut one?

• Advertisement

Good card but you have to top up via debit card or bank transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭maximoose

Patww79 wrote: »

Physical card, request it from in the app after sign up.

Got mine this morning :)

From O2 money.
    http://money.three.ie/notification/faqs/#faq-8

You can only close your O2 Money card if there is no balance on the card. When the balance on your card is zero, just call us on 1890 812102 or email customer care at customercare@o2money.ie and we will close your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just signed up for the Revolut card/app as well. I have had an O2 card for years that I use maybe once a month if buying something online from a site that doesn't accept PayPal or isn't a "brand name", but not willing to pay extra to top up and have that balance eaten by fees as well!

This Revolut card looks very straightforward though!

You don't.. you download the app and register through it. There's then an option to have them post out a physical card to you :)

One thing from the T&C's though....
    What is the fee structure?
    The Revolut app and multi-currency card are completely free.

Revolut offers the very best exchange rate available and applies no charges or fees. We guarantee this for the first 12 months of being a Revolut customer.

Hmm.. does that mean that you will have to start coughing up in year 2 I wonder?

EDIT: Nevermind.. further down it says...
    What happens after 12 months?
    We reserve the right to change our pricing structure after the first 12 months of using the Revolut service, however, we do not expect there to be a significant change. Revolut was launched with the ambition to offer a fair and transparent alternative to foreign exchange with no hidden fees and we fully intend to live by that philosophy.

We would never charge our customers without clearly explaining the changes and asking their express permission to sign them up on a subscription basis.

Still seems like a good deal though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Bargain alerts thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057481488

I've used this travelling in Turkey, India and Nepal and I must have saved at least €30 so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

why does the revolut app want access to everything in your phone? including addressbook call history photos.....

Is it just an info troll for marketing databases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

awec wrote: »
    Now that all banks offer Visa cards why do people still use these things?

Because sometimes you want funds on a card with no direct link to your bank account. Very handy when travelling, or if you want to let two or three other people use the card (e.g. for an association).

That new monthly fee is a real sneaky change to the T&Cs though. I got the message from Three to say they were changing the name, no mention of them charging 15€/year aswell as the top-up fee and the stamp duty. :mad:

Thanks OP for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

hi all,

was doing a search to see who offers commission free currency in advance of my trip to new york next month. found this revolut card through my search. going to read the document now .... looks like the solution. when i read the info i'm sure i'll get the answer but i'm guessing i can use this in any country i.e. for my US trip and if i've any money left i hope to go to the UK for a weekend ... thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Definitely better options out there.
    Need to get myself sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Revolut all the way - it might seem complicated at first with having accounts in euro,dollars and sterling if you wish but you soon get the hang of it.

You can just operate with Euro and it work's great. it's worth verifying your Identity and I would recommend using your Passport for this. Check out the main thread in 'bargain alerts'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Revolut all the way - it might seem complicated at first with having accounts in euro,dollars and sterling if you wish but you soon get the hang of it.

You can just operate with Euro and it work's great. it's worth verifying your Identity and I would recommend using your Passport for this. Check out the main thread in 'bargain alerts'.

One big difference with Revolut, you can't top up with cash.

So after having previously been told that I wouldn't be getting one of the new 3 cards as I wasn't spending enough for them on the O2 one, I just got an email telling me its on its way??

Anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

ken wrote: »
    Good card but you have to top up via debit card or bank transfer.

That's a bummer! If it was possible to top up offline, I'd have moved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is there any competition as in an Irish prepaid card against 3's one?

Advertisement