Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunny side up or The rocky road - J1 Destination

Options
  • 15-09-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Hey!

So I wasn't really sure where I should post this as the "Travel" board pointed me to "USA & Canada Travel" which pointed me to this board, so apologies to the mods if its in the wrong place.

So I am in my final year of college and I am very interested in completing a J1 this summer. I am thinking about heading over alone as opposed to with a group for a few reasons .. Im hoping that by doing it alone it'll help me discover more about myself (as cheesy as that sounds :o) and break me out of my shell (always been a quiet, keep-to-myself person throughout school/college despite not really wanting to be). Going solo also has the added benefit of being able to go wherever you want and plan it accordingly too. So I guess first of all I'm just looking for some advice from anybody who may have went alone and what was it like?

Seeing as I missed my chance of an Erasmus due to poor planning on my part I want to start working on my J1 straight away. I know the visas havnt opened yet but Im signed up the a few newsletters so I should be notified fairly quickly. Does anybody know when they open up?

I've also heard from a friend who completed one last year that I should stay away from the likes of USIT and just complete the paperwork on my own. To be honest that seems like a lot of stress for not a lot of savings, especially during my final year where I will more than likely be flat out with assignments. Anybody have any experience with this ?

And finally the most important part .... Destination!

I have been to America twice before, first time was to Vegas for 3 weeks and the second time was for a month where we spent the first week traveling (LA,San Fran, Reno) and then spent an other 3 weeks in Vegas. Both of these trips were family holidays and I was fairly young so I dont remember a lot.

I've been reading USITs summary's of the different states over the past few days but I am completely clueless as to where I want to go. Every state is so different and I really dont want to overlook somewhere that I might really love. Part of me wants that sunny, tropical, beach lifestyle. But then another part of me wants the mountains, forests, rivers ... etc. Im assuming the majority of J1'ers would opt for the beach lifestyle over the latter. So I am mind somewhere along the west coast, maybe north of LA, would be perfect. Id use my 30 days travel towards the end then to see as much of the country as I can! (preferably by motorbike!) So any advice on states ? Where is best, where to avoide, your own experiences!

Really looking forward to hearing some response! Im so excited and its still like 8-9 months away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I've spent a lot of summer vacations at Lake Tahoe, and if you like mountains, forests, rivers AND the beach lifestyle, then you can get it all at Tahoe - http://www.tahoe.com/lake-tahoe/beaches/

What I like is that they get 300 days of sunshine per year. Temps are cool at night (great for sleeping without air conditioning) and although temps generally only get to the low 80sF (high 20s Celsius), the altitude makes it feel hotter. It's usually very low humidity too.

There are a ton of summer jobs there, especially at resorts like Heavenly, Squaw and Northstar, which all have summer activities such as mountain biking, ziplines etc.

It's not tropical, but it's a great climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I've spent a lot of summer vacations at Lake Tahoe, and if you like mountains, forests, rivers AND the beach lifestyle, then you can get it all at Tahoe - http://www.tahoe.com/lake-tahoe/beaches/

What I like is that they get 300 days of sunshine per year. Temps are cool at night (great for sleeping without air conditioning) and although temps generally only get to the low 80sF (high 20s Celsius), the altitude makes it feel hotter. It's usually very low humidity too.

There are a ton of summer jobs there, especially at resorts like Heavenly, Squaw and Northstar, which all have summer activities such as mountain biking, ziplines etc.

It's not tropical, but it's a great climate.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave! Did you head over there on a J1 or just the location for many holidays ? Looks like a pretty nice spot from the pictures I've seen and its right on the border of California and Nevada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Since you'll be a graduate, you should be eligible for the 1 year graduate J visa also. That would be something to consider. Unfortunately for these visas, you cannot complete the paperwork by yourself. You require a sponsor who will "vouch" for you for the duration of your stay. These sponsors are set up via USIT, SAYIT and others.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Since you'll be a graduate, you should be eligible for the 1 year graduate J visa also. That would be something to consider. Unfortunately for these visas, you cannot complete the paperwork by yourself. You require a sponsor who will "vouch" for you for the duration of your stay. These sponsors are set up via USIT, SAYIT and others.

Yeh I was looking at the graduate visa as well. Very tempted by it. It would probably be a lot more beneficial to my CV/experience and could help me get my foot in the door in America. But if I'm honest I dont think I want to start my career just yet. I want a break from commitment. My plan is to travel quite a bit over the next few years so Im going to try and stay away from any long term things.

Seeing as I am a graduate I will need proof that I am returning right ? Would a letter from my current employer suffice ?

Also, whats up with driving ? I've seen a few places that people recommend cars for. Is an Irish driving licence valid over in the states ?

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion Dave! Did you head over there on a J1 or just the location for many holidays ? Looks like a pretty nice spot from the pictures I've seen and its right on the border of California and Nevada.

My sister-in-law lives there (Incline Village), so we go there a lot. Of all the places I've been in the US, it's the one place I'd move to in a heartbeat. They have very few bugs too, which I always forget until I come home and start getting eaten by mosquitoes.

I was in New Jersey when on my J1, and that was nice too. Way hotter than Tahoe, of course, but close to places like NYC, Boston, and Washington DC for sightseeing.

I saw your question about driving. If it were me, I'd try to go somewhere that let me either walk to work or maybe get a bike to ride around. You can drive with your Irish license, but many states require a local license before you can register and insure a car.

If you want a car for weekends or a trip at the end of the summer, it's probably going to cost less to just rent one as you need it. Chances are you'll spend around $5,000 for a dependable car, and then insurance on top of that.

• Advertisement

My sister-in-law lives there (Incline Village), so we go there a lot. Of all the places I've been in the US, it's the one place I'd move to in a heartbeat. They have very few bugs too, which I always forget until I come home and start getting eaten by mosquitoes.

I was in New Jersey when on my J1, and that was nice too. Way hotter than Tahoe, of course, but close to places like NYC, Boston, and Washington DC for sightseeing.

I saw your question about driving. If it were me, I'd try to go somewhere that let me either walk to work or maybe get a bike to ride around. You can drive with your Irish license, but many states require a local license before you can register and insure a car.

If you want a car for weekends or a trip at the end of the summer, it's probably going to cost less to just rent one as you need it. Chances are you'll spend around $5,000 for a dependable car, and then insurance on top of that.

Sweet I'll be sure to keep Tahoe in mind!

I'm starting to feel like I'm leaning a lot more towards the west-coast as opposed to the east for a number of reasons. I have relatives in Nevada so staying that side of the states would be ideal. Honestly the one thing that's stopping me from heading to Cali is the fact that its a hot-spot, but Im sure you can find towns/cities which are not as populated as say LA or San Fran. It also feels like i'm wasting it a little as I've already been there.

I definitely hear you on the walking/cycling thing. I would much prefer either of those two over a motor. It would be a motorcycle Id be looking at getting though (dont have my car licence), but by the sounds of it its going to be expensive either way so Ill just wait till I'm over there and If something comes up that I can afford ... But yeh renting a motorbike out for a road trip towards the end is definitely on the agenda!

Is there any other sites yous would recommend to get chatting to people also heading out ? I've tried Reddit but haven't received much of a response!

A motorbike is a good idea. My friends who are into that said that prices for used bikes have dropped in the past few years as a lot of baby boomers get rid of their Harleys. You see a ton of them on Craigslist - http://reno.craigslist.org/search/mcy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Part of me wants that sunny, tropical, beach lifestyle. But then another part of me wants the mountains, forests, rivers ... etc. Im assuming the majority of J1'ers would opt for the beach lifestyle over the latter. So I am mind somewhere along the west coast, maybe north of LA, would be perfect. Id use my 30 days travel towards the end then to see as much of the country as I can! (preferably by motorbike!) So any advice on states ? Where is best, where to avoide, your own experiences!

Really looking forward to hearing some response! Im so excited and its still like 8-9 months away!

Do a search on Santa Cruz. California.

North side of Monterey Bay. A couple of hours south of SF, close to Silicon Valley. But Its got very southern California beaches. Its a major surfing town. Nothing ike Monterey on the south side of the bay, which is windswept and colder.

Beautiful climate. And you can be in Lake tahoe in two or three hours. there's also the santa cruz mountains, lots of hiking etc etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.961082,-122.0117745,13.71z?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Honestly? Stay away from the J1 hotspots. And unfortunately that seems to encompass a lot of California.

If I were you I'd go to Portland, Austin or Nashville.

A motorbike is a good idea. My friends who are into that said that prices for used bikes have dropped in the past few years as a lot of baby boomers get rid of their Harleys. You see a ton of them on Craigslist - http://reno.craigslist.org/search/mcy

Hmm there seems to be a good few on there alright. Cheers! I think I will have to wait till I get my location sorted before I go figuring out how much Id need to run a bike for my stay there. Honestly If I could get away with cycling for my residency and then renting a bike out for touring towards the end that would be ideal.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Do a search on Santa Cruz. California.

North side of Monterey Bay. A couple of hours south of SF, close to Silicon Valley. But Its got very southern California beaches. Its a major surfing town. Nothing ike Monterey on the south side of the bay, which is windswept and colder.

Beautiful climate. And you can be in Lake tahoe in two or three hours. there's also the santa cruz mountains, lots of hiking etc etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.961082,-122.0117745,13.71z?hl=en

Hmmm surfing! :) Never tried that but it looks like great fun! Sounds like a nice balance of beachs & greenery. Do you know what its like as a J1 spot? Many resteraunts, seasonal jobs etc?

Honestly? Stay away from the J1 hotspots. And unfortunately that seems to encompass a lot of California.

If I were you I'd go to Portland, Austin or Nashville.

Really ? Are they that bad ? I guess my biggest worry would be going over, meeting a group of Irish who are as quiet as me and just staying with them, in my comfort zone for the holiday.

I've heard a few recommendations for Austin Texas alright. Not sure about it though.

I haven't been to Portland (I assume Oregon, not Maine?), but if the weather is anything like Seattle, I wouldn't like it.

I've been to Austin and Nashville, and while both are nice cities, if you're more into natural scenery I think you'd much prefer Santa Cruz or Tahoe.

Someplace like Boulder, Colorado could be fun too. http://www.colorado.edu/studentemployment/find-job/offcampus-employers

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

Someplace like Boulder, Colorado could be fun too. http://www.colorado.edu/studentemployment/find-job/offcampus-employers

I was just going to chime in with Boulder, CO as a potential offbeat destination. Not sure how it'd be on a J1 but I'd move there in the morning.

I haven't much experience of Austin (been through it on way to San Antonio a few times) but tbh I don't see the attraction of anywhere in Texas if I was coming over for a shorter stay.

If Boulder was too small, I definitely wouldn't discount Portland or Seattle in the summer.

Advertisement