Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5C - is it still worth it?

• 15-09-2015 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Ok – so my father is currently using a cra*py Sony low end (really low end) Android phone on top up with Meteor.
    He is spending about €55 per month on credit as he has a small business and makes a good few calls. Very few (5 a week) texts at the most and uses almost no apps so uses very little data (at most 250MB per month)

He can get a free 5C on a 24 month contract for €32 per month

I am a heavy Android user and I am not at all familiar with Apple products as we don’t have any in our house
    My question on this are

Is the 5C easy to use and will it run smoothly? (Father is 74 yrs old so needs a decent screen and smooth easy usage with a decent-ish camera)
    Is 5C worth it for a 2 yr contract?
    Is it a stable daily driver on its current OS version?
    Will it continue to get updates?
    Will a 8Gb version be ok? (he uses about 3 apps on his current phone and takes a few photos etc but they are backing up to Google Photos so don’t take up space on the phone at the moment)
    He has an iPad so I presume the 5C would be very similar to that – is that correct?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If he waits he should be able to get the 5s on the same contract after the 6s is released and the 5c is discontinued. It will probably be a while, though. The networks are very slow to update their prices and are usually still pawning old models off on people for months after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,471 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The 5c still handles everything perfectly. Yea it's easy to use and in my experience older parents tend to prefer apple products as they're more user friendly. One button does everything kind of thing. It's slightly better than the iphone5 too. Having said that the 5s should replace it soon so maybe better off waiting two or three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Meteor are pestering him to move from Prepay to Bill pay so maybe I will tell him hold off a little bit longer.
    the 5C is free on that contract at the moment - do you think the 5S will be free also in a few months? Currently that phone is 149

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Meteor are pestering him to move from Prepay to Bill pay so maybe I will tell him hold off a little bit longer.
    the 5C is free on that contract at the moment - do you think the 5S will be free also in a few months? Currently that phone is 149

3 are offering the iphone 5s for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

godtabh wrote: »
    3 are offering the iphone 5s for free

With 3 Ireland for the 'free' 5S All I can find is €55 per month on 24 months contract. That's going to cost about 550 over the free one from Meteor. That's a nuts price.

Looking for a decent phone on a good plan at a very low or free price range

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

I know you've probably checked but if he's running a small business would 400 minutes a month be very low? On the €32 deal.

I'm guessing the €50 deal is too much? The 5s is €50 for the phone but he would get unlimited minutes, along with 10GB and in minted texts but as you've said he doesn't need those.

As an aside they try to charge €50 for the phone on the €65 deal too, what rubbish it should be free on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

@OP.

The 5C, although capable, is very restrictive due to the storage space. Only circa 4.7GB useable, and you'd be amazed how quickly this is consumed. I'd suggest a 16GB as a very minimum.

In terms of storage, I'd "rather be looking at it.... than looking for it"

Advertisement