Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Komodo Chillies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Got them a while ago. It was almost a week after I bought them before I got around to tasting them. I bought a single packet with one chilli in it. I cut a big wedge off of it and chewed it right up. It starts off really fruity and sweet and packs a real punch. It packs a lot more punch than a scotch bonnet so prepare yourself for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Got 2 packets when they were first released and picked up 2 more yesterday.

They definitely pack a punch, I add half a large chilli or a whole small one to around 2 chicken fillets for a stir fry. Similar amounts for a curry. I store them in an airtight container and them keep very well. Id use a small amount first time round so you get an idea of the heat, no point ruining a meal by over-doing it.
    Enjoy :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Simply Red wrote: »
    Got 2 packets when they were first released and picked up 2 more yesterday.

They definitely pack a punch, I add half a large chilli or a whole small one to around 2 chicken fillets for a stir fry. Similar amounts for a curry. I store them in an airtight container and them keep very well. Id use a small amount first time round so you get an idea of the heat, no point ruining a meal by over-doing it.
    Enjoy :)

Cheers! Can I freeze the little b*stards?

Cheers! Can I freeze the little b*stards?
    I havent tried it but i dont see why not, i think some people recommend taking the seeds and membrane out first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I can't honestly see the point in buying a chilli because it is super-hot & then trying to make it less super-hot. What's the point?

• Advertisement

I can't honestly see the point in buying a chilli because it is super-hot & then trying to make it less super-hot. What's the point?

Who's doing this?

Jeepers. Just finished stir fry with one whole big enough one, seeds and all innards in too. Lovely heat, mouth on fire but not painfully so. That was for two so tomorrow I might ramp it up to 2 or 3 chillies. Lovely citrusy taste and smell from them. I'd be buying them on the regular if they were always for sale. Top marks!

Who's doing this?
    Nobody here, but it was mentioned in this post...
    Simply Red wrote: »
    I havent tried it but i dont see why not, i think some people recommend taking the seeds and membrane out first though.

Nobody here, but it was mentioned in this post...

S/He was asking about freezing them, some people take the seeds and membrane out before freezing. Never mentioned taking them out before cooking

Maybe I am missing something here.
    Why bother remove it at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Maybe I am missing something here.
    Why bother remove it at all?

I always understood that the seeds and membrane had heat but little flavour and can be bitter. I usually remove them.

You'd want to have a quare set of taste buds on you to detect a hint of bitterness when eating a Komodo chilli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I usually buy hot chili's when I need them in small amounts so don't really have experience here, but don't extremely hot ones (which these would qualify as, apparently 1.4mn* Scoville units! :eek: ) basically never go bad because it is just too hot of a surface for any bacteria to grow on? Some hotter Tabasco sauces lasts for a long, long time because of this and that is, and they are only 2-3 times as hot as jalapeno. For context, these things are anywhere from 100-400 times(!!) the strength of jalapenos.

For anyone reading this thread, be careful with these! I love spicy food, but after having ghost chili chicken wings (similar strength of Scoville to these peppers, which they made me sign a medical waiver before serving!) in Dundrum SC about two years back, I spent the rest of a long weekend curled up on a ball on the couch sipping litres and litres milk... because chugging it burned. Pooing burned. Taking a wee... burned. Coughing burned. Hiccups burned. Farting... oh Christ that burned! And the whole time the pit of the stomach felt like there was battery acid or something in there; a real uneasy chemical-like burning sensation in the pit of your stomach that does cause mild nausea... I do not want to even imagine how much that vomit would, you guessed it, BURN! :o

I'm actually really enjoying them, they really don't seem much worse than when I put a load of birds eyes in a meal. I'll put 4 in chilli later for 2 people and we're both enjoying them without any ill effects! It's a shame they're only temporary they've a lovely citrus taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Instead of freezing them, why not try drying them. They last for years..

Chop the heads off them and place them on greaseproof paper on a roasting tin. Put them in a 100c oven with the door ajar and leave them for three/four hours until they are crispy dry. If there is any give on them they're not dry yet.

Advertisement