Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone charging problems

Options
  • 15-09-2015 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

Here's the scenario - I have two Motorola phones, one for work and one for personal use. They have both been operating relatively normally for months and months. Yesterday I plugged them both into the USB connections on the back of my monitor instead of plugging them into the USB connections on the PC itself. The monitor is just a regular HP one, not some no-name device.

Yesterday when I got home, one of the devices just refused to register when I plugged it into the normal charging cable. I thought maybe the cable was damaged or something.

Today, when I plugged both phones into the monitor again, neither of them registered a charge at all. It looked like they were both damaged, and I can only think that the monitor connection blew something in them. I took the cables and plugged them into the PC USB ports they have charged from for months and the same - nothing happening. I would like to think that USB is USB is USB and you can't blow things or that the phone would have sufficient protection in place to prevent this, but it looks like this isn't the case.

Just to confuse things more, when I plugged the phones into a wall mounted USB charger one of them at least registered a charge, but the other one still refuses to charge at all.

Can anyone suggest anything (other than don't plug my next phone into a monitor) in terms of checking out what's broken with these phones and how to recover them?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I was able to recover the situation, but I'm still not sure what the story is/was.

The one that appeared to be totally dead came back to life after I plugged it into a USB port on a different PC and did the "hold down power and volume down buttons for a couple of minutes" thing. It is still flaky in terms of charging though - it point blank refuses to do anything when plugged into one of my PCs, even though the PC has no problem recognising other USB devices in the same port and with the same cable.

The lesson for today is . . . if you think your phone is dead, spend a while trying it in a couple of power sources before you throw in the towel.

z

Advertisement