Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

please help to translate to Irish

• 15-09-2015 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

We are Group of Lithuanian photographers living in Ireland. We would like to call our group Irish Lithuanian photo club. How to translate this to Irish Language. Is it right to say Club grianghraf Liotuáinis Gaeilge?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Gaeilge is the name of the language, rather than the nationality.

Most organisations that include the words Irish or of Ireland use "na hÉireann".

"Liotuáinis", similarly, is the name of the language. "Lituánach" is a Lithuanian person, and you need the genitive plural of that here.

So I'd suggest "Club Grianghraf Liotuánach na hÉireann", but wait for further advice before deciding on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

"Club" seems somewhat béarlachas to me. Would "dream" "cumann" or "foireann" be appropriate alternatives? Agree with the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

garancafan wrote: »
    "Club" seems somewhat béarlachas to me. Would "dream" "cumann" or "foireann" be appropriate alternatives? Agree with the rest.

'Cumann', is doigh liom. No 'comhaltas'?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭arcius

An File wrote: »
    Gaeilge is the name of the language, rather than the nationality.

Most organisations that include the words Irish or of Ireland use "na hÉireann".

"Liotuáinis", similarly, is the name of the language. "Lituánach" is a Lithuanian person, and you need the genitive plural of that here.

So I'd suggest "Club Grianghraf Liotuánach na hÉireann", but wait for further advice before deciding on it.
    What if instead of "club" I use "chlub"
    SO would look like this " An Chlub Grianghraf Liotuánach na hÉireann". Does it look right?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

arcius wrote: »
    What if instead of "club" I use "chlub"
    SO would look like this " An Chlub Grianghraf Liotuánach na hÉireann". Does it look right?

That's not really how it works. Club is a masculine noun. Only feminine nouns take a "h" after "an".

Also, because you have the definite article in "na hÉireann" you don't need to use it at the start of the name too (even though you would use "the" more than once in English).

The word 'cumann' is a nice alternative instead of 'club' (which is usually used for sports clubs, rather than other groups or organisations)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Some further thoughts....
    The essence of your club is that you are Photographers and therefore the term "griangrafadóir" has to come into play.

If the term "club" is causing difficulties (perhaps my fault) then it can be dispensed with and a title such as "Griangrafadórí Lithuánach na hÉireann" (Lithuanian photographers of Ireland) could be used.I depend upon File to confirm that "Lithuánach" is the genitive plural.

garancafan wrote: »
    If the term "club" is causing difficulties (perhaps my fault) then it can be dispensed with and a title such as "Griangrafadórí Lithuánach na hÉireann" (Lithuanian photographers of Ireland) could be used.I depend upon File to confirm that "Lithuánach" is the genitive plural.

With this suggestion the genitive plural wouldn't be required, but you would have to pluralise the adjective (Lithuanian) so it'd be Grianghrafadóirí Lituánacha na hÉireann.

After that it's a matter of preference between Cumann or Club Grianghraf Liotuánach na hÉireann (Irish Lithuanian Photo Club), or Grianghrafadóirí Lituánacha na hÉireann (Lithuanian Photographers of Ireland).

wow, thank you guys. We need this for our logo and needs to be right :) so to finalize which sentence would you go with? once again thank you all for your help.

wow, thank you guys. We need this for our logo and needs to be right :) so to finalize which sentence would you go with? once again thank you all for your help.

Well, there's no direct translation as such. Just several different ways of saying the same kinda thing, with a different subtext being conveyed each time. For example, 'club' would imply an organisation that people are affiliated with, and as mentioned, would probably be more suited to a sporting club.

Personally, I like 'comhaltas'. It implies membership and belonging. That the members are the club, as opposed to the club being something that the members join. The most well known use would probably be Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, or 'the membership of the musicians of Ireland'. I think something like this would probably suit you best.

Comhaltas Grianghrafadóirí Lituánacha Éireann?

endacl wrote: »
    Well, there's no direct translation as such. Just several different ways of saying the same kinda thing, with a different subtext being conveyed each time. For example, 'club' would imply an organisation that people are affiliated with, and as mentioned, would probably be more suited to a sporting club.

Personally, I like 'comhaltas'. It implies membership and belonging. That the members are the club, as opposed to the club being something that the members join. The most well known use would probably be Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann, or 'the membership of the musicians of Ireland'. I think something like this would probably suit you best.

Comhaltas Grianghrafadóirí Lituánacha Éireann?

thank you. Will use this phrase.

• Advertisement

thank you. Will use this phrase.

I hope I got it right, then!

Advertisement