Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Structural Changes to Apartments

Options
  • 15-09-2015 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey so I am considering buying an apartment within a complex although still at very early stages. I was just wondering in general, before getting too far along the process, is it possible to make structural changes to an apartment within a building complex or are you very restricted in what you can do under the management company's rules, etc?

To give you an idea, I have seen some apartments, particularly around the IFSC area, where the "bedroom" is located on a mezzanine level or loft above the living room which is accessed by an open staircase. While some people may find this layout or design somewhat hip or bohemian, I think it's a glorified studio. I believe such layouts could be relatively easily converted into a regular two floor apartment by erecting slabbed walls, etc. but I'm just wondering would such an action be prohibited?

Also, I notice a lot of apartments have baths instead of showers. Would you be permitted to remove a bath and install a shower in its place?

I appreciate that this is probably largely dependent on the developments themselves as I'm sure management companies can vary widely but in general would people have an idea of what you can and cannot do to an apartment you own within a building? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Kung Lao wrote: »
    Hey so I am considering buying an apartment within a complex although still at very early stages. I was just wondering in general, before getting too far along the process, is it possible to make structural changes to an apartment within a building complex or are you very restricted in what you can do under the management company's rules, etc?

To give you an idea, I have seen some apartments, particularly around the IFSC area, where the "bedroom" is located on a mezzanine level or loft above the living room which is accessed by an open staircase. While some people may find this layout or design somewhat hip or bohemian, I think it's a glorified studio. I believe such layouts could be relatively easily converted into a regular two floor apartment by erecting slabbed walls, etc. but I'm just wondering would such an action be prohibited?

Also, I notice a lot of apartments have baths instead of showers. Would you be permitted to remove a bath and install a shower in its place?

I appreciate that this is probably largely dependent on the developments themselves as I'm sure management companies can vary widely but in general would people have an idea of what you can and cannot do to an apartment you own within a building? Thanks.

A slabbed wall isn't structural. Knock yourself out. Any work that requires an RSJ would be considered structural.

As regards the bathroom , do as you want there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Changing a bath to a shower, shouldn't be anything for the management company. That would be your own choice.

As for structural changes, I am honestly not sure. You may need to consult a solicitor, along with the Lease Agreement and any other contracts relating to the unit.

In general, anything within your walls are up to you. Anything structural would have to have agreement with the management company, but with what you are suggesting, it may not need that agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Kung Lao

ted1 wrote: »
    A slabbed wall isn't structural. Knock yourself out. Any work that requires an RSJ would be considered structural.

As regards the bathroom , do as you want there.
    Paulw wrote: »
    Changing a bath to a shower, shouldn't be anything for the management company. That would be your own choice.

As for structural changes, I am honestly not sure. You may need to consult a solicitor, along with the Lease Agreement and any other contracts relating to the unit.

In general, anything within your walls are up to you. Anything structural would have to have agreement with the management company, but with what you are suggesting, it may not need that agreement.

Ok thanks guys, I suppose my choice of word structural probably wasn't the best, but I suspected slabbed walls and bathroom modifications would probably be ok. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off the wall (excuse the pun) by even considering this as you would rarely hear of people making much changes to apartments beyond decor and I thought there may have been restrictions behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Check your lease.

Anything that involves plumbing may have particular restrictions, because leaks do not respect apartment boundaries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

There was a guy taken to the Circuit Court about 20 years ago for taking out a stud wall and some other changes. The lease needs to be looked at carefully. Substantial changes does not necessary mean structural changes.
    irishtimes.com/news/apartment-owner-must-dismantle-wall-division

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Changing partitions might not be considered structural, but here may be other restrictions.

If these new partitions support a new floor, that is a structural alteration. Where the new partitions / floor meet the windows will have issues.

Fire certifications - the route(s) to the fire escape may be altered by the changes.

The management company will also have rules about the actual construction work.

Advertisement