Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Hurlng Final Flops On Sky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was on SS1 last year, this year SS5 which was a factor.

Wales in a Euro qualifier (that if they would have won they would have qualified) was on SS1, not sure what was on the other SS channels but there may have been a a ODI between England and Australia.

Certainly I think the novelty factor may have worn off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Paul Rouse is a constant source of negativity for all sky sports related stuff. Not that I'm doubting his figures or anything, just that he is pretty much a constant input of reports and studies completely downplaying all of skys sports, and particularly since the GAA went onto it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Is the 2014 figure for the drawn game, the replay or both games combined? If the latter it's a little bit disingenuous to say the least.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Is the 2014 figure for the drawn game, the replay or both games combined? If the latter it's a little bit disingenuous to say the least.

I'd say they were for the 1st game.

It was on SS1 and got lots of promotion if I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Don't really mind to be honest.

I'm not really bothered about promoting either game abroad the main benefit of the SKY deal is that it should keep RTE on their toes.

Frankly I'd cut RTE's allocation of games and give a few to TV3 as well as SKY the next time the rights are reviewed.

• Advertisement

Don't really mind to be honest.

I'm not really bothered about promoting either game abroad the main benefit of the SKY deal is that it should keep RTE on their toes.

Frankly I'd cut RTE's allocation of games and give a few to TV3 as well as SKY the next time the rights are reviewed.

I'm not really sure if Sky would be interested in bidding after next year if the numbers are that low.

There MO for showing GAA is to attract new subs and hold on to subs that often unsubscribe for the summer when there is no soccer.

If the numbers are not there then they will not be interested for another three year deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm not really sure if Sky would be interested in bidding after next year if the numbers are that low.

There MO for showing GAA is to attract new subs and hold on to subs that often unsubscribe for the summer when there is no soccer.

If the numbers are not there then they will not be interested for another three year deal.

Probably not, but hopefully the GAA don't return to RTE having a monopoly on the rights and that TV3/TG4 are at least given a decent proportion of the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the numbers are low, but (unbelievably at this stage) they are soley for standard definition Sky sports which many dont have as they'd have HD.

and regarding promotion in the UK, many in Ireland still dont cop it that people in the UK (or round the world) never have seen a minute of GAA in their lives. The constant stream on TG4 and RTE compares to ZERO coverage at all.

If the game is on Sky then at least people can happen upon it and catch a minute or 2, or a half or however long they have at the time.

If a month, or year, or decade down the line you are there looking for sponsorship, or to see if their child would be interested trying out football or hurling, or you are looking for grants off the city or use of city facilities - the person may at least have seen the game once, compared previously that they would never ever have seen GAA or copped what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Does that figure include NI? I remember after the first AI final was shown on Sky, the GAA were praising it saying "thats X '000 people in Britain seeing Gaelic Games for the first time, the sky deal is great etc.".

Turns out that the figure included viewers in Northern Ireland, tens of thousands of whom would have been watching the final anyway, Sky or not.

Advertisement