Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwicks Homebrew Challenge

Options
  • 15-09-2015 7:46pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Smithwicks have just announced they are running a homebrew competition. Prize is a handy €1,000 as well as getting a trip to St.James Gate to brew 1000 litres on the pilot plant. They're looking for a winter ale, something that you'd drink around Christmas time basically.

Info plus how to enter on here. https://smithwickshomebrewchallenge.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

irish_goat wrote: »
    Smithwicks have just announced they are running a homebrew competition. Prize is a handy €1,000 as well as getting a trip to St.James Gate to brew 1000 litres on the pilot plant. They're looking for a winter ale, something that you'd drink around Christmas time basically.

Info plus how to enter on here. https://smithwickshomebrewchallenge.ie

by 27th October 2015! JEBUSE That.'s not a whole lot of time

Also the clause "Entrants agree to indemnify the Promoter against any personal injury, loss or damage caused as a result of consumption of an entrant’s product." mmh that appearers a little heavy, unless its common in most competitions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Short timing yeah, but if you can brew this weekend your beer will be 6-7 weeks old by the time it gets judged.

If you win they'll have the 1000 litre batch brewed, conditioned and ready for consumption in about 3 weeks. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Phew, I thought you were challenging us to brew homemade smithwicks from the thread title...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

How will they get around the fundamental issue of diageo not letting any live beer exit the plant?

How will they get around the fundamental issue of diageo not letting any live beer exit the plant?

What do you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I would guess that the finalists' 1000L will be pasteurised and kegged.

BeerNut wrote: »

Yep. Possibly a small amount of bottles done up too and they would aim for the winner's local to have it in and maybe do a launch for the beer in said local.

yep, diageo only let dead beer out the gate, while I'd only ever brew live beer.
    It's not mentioned in the T&C's

It's not mentioned in the T&C's
    I doubt it's something that would occur to a multinational conglomerate or its PR agency. If it's true, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I wonder about them not allowing non pasteurised beer. It might catch on - it's fairly popular in Poland - I think you can also buy non pasteurised Łomża here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

From what I've been told it's not a trivial change and would involve massive changes to processes and certifications.

From what I've been told it's not a trivial change and would involve massive changes to processes and certifications mindset.

Fixed that there for ya. ;)

Anyway how much hops do you get for free?

Anyway how much hops do you get for free?

100g of Admiral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Challenge accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hops arrived today, might be nice for Christmas. 27th October is pushing it for taste and to carb up.

RasTa wrote: »
    Hops arrived today, might be nice for Christmas. 27th October is pushing it for taste and to carb up.

The time lines give good incite to there brewing process :)

Judging tonight! Good luck to any Boardsies with skin in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Diageo are desperate for a new product, baffled as to why they never continued with the Brewhouse series or released a heritage porter from a 1759 recipe.

It'd be nice if they were more product focused, but this competition is solely about the brand, and making it more visible. The fact that a tiny amount of new beer will appear briefly is almost neither here nor there.

And there are no recipes from 1759. Guinness didn't brew anything in 1759. It didn't even brew porter until about the 1780s, though nobody really knows because the brewing records don't go back that far. Hope that reduces the bafflement somewhat ;)

It'd be nice if they were more product focused, but this competition is solely about the brand, and making it more visible. The fact that a tiny amount of new beer will appear briefly is almost neither here nor there.

And there are no recipes from 1759. Guinness didn't brew anything in 1759. It didn't even brew porter until about the 1780s, though nobody really knows because the brewing records don't go back that far. Hope that reduces the bafflement somewhat ;)

I never said it had to be Guinness's recipe ;)

*backpeddles away*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

MadsL wrote: »
    Diageo are desperate for a new product, baffled as to why they never continued with the Brewhouse series or released a heritage porter from a 1759 recipe.

I read an interesting article with the lads from 8 Degrees who said that in pubs that stocked their Howling Gale, who then got in Hop House 13, that sales of HG actually went up. So it seems if people try a 'craft beer' from one of the big boys it encourages them to try the smaller brewers offerings then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Hmm, anyone I've asked about who is drinking HH13 say it's Guinness drinkers that would normally switch to Bulmers when the weather is warmer. A couple of pubs have taken out their Bulmers taps as a result.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Hmm, anyone I've asked about who is drinking HH13 say it's Guinness drinkers that would normally switch to Bulmers when the weather is warmer. A couple of pubs have taken out their Bulmers taps as a result.

Typical Diageo tactic.

I was the first bar to sell Murphy's in Prague in the early 90s, next day Guinness quality reps were down to test the Murphy's (literally with all the quality test gear) - two days later our sister pub got the Guinness tap removed by Guinness. Reason? "Not selling enough" - complete BS.

Incidentally, Diageo's attempt at an "American Lager" (Guinness yeast, Williamette hops) currently being brewed in Pennsylvania and sold in the US as "Guinness Blonde" (why? since it is Lager not a Blonde Ale) is absolutely awful.

Has a great bready nose, then a middling mouthfeel and metallic taste, and an absolutely horrible finish. You go from "Hmm, might be good" to "Errr" to "Ugh" in one mouthful.

Absolutely bizarre why Diageo US Marketing tried to take on the macro lagers at something they have been refining to the American palate for decades.

Spectacular fail.

Absolutely bizarre why Diageo US Marketing tried to take on the macro lagers at something they have been refining to the American palate for decades.

Spectacular fail.

Because they belive that they perfected the brewing process

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Typical Diageo tactic.

I was the first bar to sell Murphy's in Prague in the early 90s, next day Guinness quality reps were down to test the Murphy's (literally with all the quality test gear) - two days later our sister pub got the Guinness tap removed by Guinness. Reason? "Not selling enough" - complete BS.

I don't follow this - why were Guinness testing the Murphys tap?

loyatemu wrote: »
    I don't follow this - why were Guinness testing the Murphys tap?

Having a snoop at it basically...I guess from their side of things they were probably wondering how the Murphy's was holding up in transit compared to Guinness.

Guinness USA just hit a new low; Guinness Nitro "IPA". I'm not sure if they will distribute this in Ireland, but I just saw it at $7.99 a sixpack canned.

"IPA" as it just about hits BJCP style guidelines at a mere 40 IBUs.

I haven't tried it yet, can't really justify it at the moment when I can buy a quality local IPA at that price; Here's a scathing review from Beer Advocate.
    Irrespective of the style IPA, "British" or "West Coast," my understanding is that what makes an IPA an IPA is that is HEAVY on the hops. Traditionally, the Brits sent poor quality brews out to India that were highly infused with hops to act as a preservative. Like the harsh wines from Madeira they sent to the North American colonies, what had been intended as an attempt to pass off cheap goods on a captive market actually improved during the sea voyage and took on its own character for the better.

While the visual appearance and mouth feel of this brew is attractive and pleasing, like beauty, it is only "skin deep." I found the taste to be like bitter Michelob Ultra with a good head. I tasted virtually no hint of hops at all! I have consumed my share of bad brews during my 70 years and while serving in the USN, but this is the worst, WORST, in memory! Even though it was less than $10 & BOGO at Publix, I still feel like I overpaid. This was the first time I have ever willingly poured beer down the drain so I could recycle the cans!

The only kind of person I can imagine who would willingly finish and/or drink a second container of this stuff is someone who actually likes Michelob Ultra and wants to look cool by having a container that has both "Guinness" and "IPA" on it. This is truly awful stuff! MADD should give this to teens so they would never drink beer again!

*shakes head*

Fail.

Meanwhile, back on topic, the winners were announced. This is the press release:
    SMITHWICK’S WELCOMES HOMEBREWERS INTO ITS BREWHOUSE
    Smithwick’s Homebrew Challenge finalists brew their Christmas Ale alongside Smithwick’s brewers in St. James’s Gate

12th November 2015: Smithwick’s welcomed homebrewing duo, Stephen Ryan, and Brian Mooney, Celbridge, Co Kildare, and Polish native, Sebastian Kondol, Ballyfermot into St. James’ Gate – a first for the brewery and a once in a lifetime opportunity for homebrewing enthusiasts as part of Smithwick’s Homebrew Challenge.

Over the past two months, homebrewers across the country have been brewing Christmas Ales for this inaugural challenge. Judged by Smithwick’s brewers, members of the National Homebrew Club and expert beer bloggers, Stephenand Brian’s cinnamon, nutmeg and star anise brew ‘Old Town Christmas Ale’ and Sebastian’s apple, cinnamon and spiced ginger brew ‘Apple Pie Ale’ were selected from over 70 entrants in a rigorous process which examined taste profile, aroma, mouthfeel and appearance.

Taste was the most important factor in the judging process. “An occasion like Christmas calls for a special brew – and our finalists nailed it. It was really interesting to brew alongside these passionate homebrewers in our Brewhouse, and I was blown away by the beers they created at home” commented Smithwick’s Brewer Natasha Alves.

The two finalists had the rare opportunity to recreate their Christmas Ales at scale in the 10hl brewhouse alongside the Smithwick’s Brewers. ‘We already feel like winners. The real prize for us was going into St James’s Gate. This is the first homebrew competition we’ve ever entered, and only our second attempt at an all grain beer – and now we’re getting to brew in St James’s Gate, it’s a dream come true”, commented Stephen Ryan.

Over the coming weeks 30 kegs of each brew will be sampled in selected pubs across the country, with the winner being voted for by the public. “I’ve brewed over 100 batches and each year I have always brewed a special beer for Christmas time. This year will be incredible as I will get to enjoy the beer that I create in St James’s Gate with my friends in the pub”, commented Sebastian Kondol.

Jennifer English, Marketing Director of Smithwick’s said, “We are delighted to partner with the National Homebrew Club in encouraging people to enjoy brewing great beer at home. We know that there is a huge sense of achievement behind brewing a beer from scratch and we are excited to welcome homebrewers into St. James’s Gate to collaborate with our brewers in brewing their own recipes”.

Trade locations of where the two brews will be available to sample will be available in the coming weeks. The winner of the inaugural Smithwick’s Homebrew Challenge will be announced following the public vote at an event in early December.

• Advertisement

Getting your second attempt at an all-grain brewed commercially is a phenomenal achievement. I'd make a job offer if I were Diageo. Congratulations to the winners.

Advertisement