Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Language

Options
  • 15-09-2015 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭

I appreciate that some forums allow foul language but wondered if it could be curtailed in some other forums. The Angling forum for example is regularly frequented by younger members and I feel swearing in not suitable there. It is camouflaged by inventive spelling quite often but is unnecessary all the same.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The Christianity forum charter forbids swearing etc. so there is a kind of precedent for what you request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Nature forum charter states "no swearing or facsimile thereof" and I would consider the clientele for both forums to be very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,091 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

We pretty much encourage it in Ranting and Raving

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi Srameen,

I was just looking at your reports on this (before I saw this) and actually sent a pm to the Angling mods / cmods to get some input.

Yes, boards is technically a PG13 (ish) site, however the odd cuss is overlooked when it's in the right context. Most of us here are Irish and it's in our nature, like it or not, to embellish tales of our daily activities with the odd profanity.
    Angling, I'm sure, by it's nature is a profoundly frustrating activity, especially when you lose your tackle to a bleeping shopping trolley so it's understandable that the frustration is vocalised sometimes.

Now, there are two reasons why this thread shouldn't exist:
    1: (From the reports) you have an issue with a specific forum, not the entire site - best bet there is to complain via pm to sports cmods.
    2: (Again, from the reports) you have an issue with a specific user and their use of profanities in that forum - this is an issue for local mods.

Feel free to correct me if I've misinterpreted this and you believe it's a sitewide issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Define foul language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If they're old enough to be on boards they're long past the age where they need to be shielded from swearing.

Steve wrote: »
    Hi Srameen,

I was just looking at your reports on this (before I saw this) and actually sent a pm to the Angling mods / cmods to get some input.

Yes, boards is technically a PG13 (ish) site, however the odd cuss is overlooked when it's in the right context. Most of us here are Irish and it's in our nature, like it or not, to embellish tales of our daily activities with the odd profanity.
    Angling, I'm sure, by it's nature is a profoundly frustrating activity, especially when you lose your tackle to a bleeping shopping trolley so it's understandable that the frustration is vocalised sometimes.

Now, there are two reasons why this thread shouldn't exist:
    1: (From the reports) you have an issue with a specific forum, not the entire site - best bet there is to complain via pm to sports cmods.
    2: (Again, from the reports) you have an issue with a specific user and their use of profanities in that forum - this is an issue for local mods.

Feel free to correct me if I've misinterpreted this and you believe it's a sitewide issue :)

I said it needs curtailing on certain forums. I never suggested a site wide ban. That would be unrealistic on many forums.
    There is one particular person who swears more than most but he's not alone. I fish, I loose gear, I swear at the time but I don't commit that swear to writing when recounting the tale months later on a thread than kids read.
    The Mod told me to raise it here and you say to raise with the Mods. I'm now confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

any other words you would like censored while you are at it? Because in reality that's all it is, needless censorship.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We're talking a sports forum here, and "industrial" language is commonplace across the category. Any attempts to curtail it across the category (or indeed site) are likely to meet with resistance and would be pretty much unenforceable (and posters regularly bypass the swear filter anyway)

It appears the OP has a particular issue with one poster in one forum - that's not a Feedback matter - as Steve has already said it's something that should be picked up with local Mods and/or CMods

Beasty wrote: »
    We're talking a sports forum here, and "industrial" language is commonplace across the category. Any attempts to curtail it across the category (or indeed site) are likely to meet with resistance and would be pretty much unenforceable (and posters regularly bypass the swear filter anyway)

It appears the OP has a particular issue with one poster in one forum - that's not a Feedback matter - as Steve has already said it's something that should be picked up with local Mods and/or CMods

It's a hobby and that does not excuse swearing. I do not at all have a problem with a particular poster. Indeed we get on well on several forums. His just happens to be the most recent occurances. Several forums have no swearing in their charter and it seemed odd that a forum attracting the younger members allows it. Look, it's no big deal. A Mod suggested posting here. I'm sorry I did now as it is being completely misinterrpreted.

Can a Mod close this please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

nesf wrote: »
    If they're old enough to be on boards they're long past the age where they need to be shielded from swearing.

If this place is 13 and above, then their "butter wouldn't melt..." years are behind them indeed.

Nodin wrote: »
    If this place is 13 and above, then their "butter wouldn't melt..." years are behind them indeed.

I'm sorry but you see at 71 years of age I don't think the attitude that a 13 year old is old enough for reading foul language is acceptable. I know, I'm a dinosaur but there were always standards in publication and written recourse that were above that of the language of the street or the playing pitch.

Anyway, again, please Close this as the point is lost and it was just an observation based on many years schooling teenagers on angling and nature issues.

Sorry if I wasted anybody's time. A reply from the mod just saying the language is acceptable on forum would have been sufficient. I only posted here as suggested to me. I'm not au fait with these processes so forgive me. I think my days on the angling forum may be numbered. :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

it seemed odd that a forum attracting the younger members allows it.
    Pretty much every Sports forum is going to have it's fair share of younger contributors. You tell a schools Rugby player they have to avoid cursing and you may get a little more than you bargained for in return ....

Sorry if I wasted anybody's time. A reply from the mod just saying the language is acceptable on forum would have been sufficient. I only posted here as suggested to me. I'm not au fait with these processes so forgive me. I think my days on the angling forum may be numbered. :)
    Actually I think there may have been some confusion here. I think the local mod suggested a feedback thread within the forum itself rather than over here, which I would support and agree that would be a better place to discuss this.

Just to add - it's for the local mods to start such a thread and I'm not suggesting you go and do so yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm sorry but you see at 71 years of age I don't think the attitude that a 13 year old is old enough for reading foul language is acceptable. I know, I'm a dinosaur but there were always standards in publication and written recourse that were above that of the language of the street or the playing pitch.

...which, in this country, were rather laughable, given the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An eloquent person doesn't have to resort to crude language to convey his or her meaning.
    Swearing is for brutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Are you really 71? Jaysis fair play to you posting on here for so long (2006!), you'd put my own father to shame :)

There can't be many older than yourself around these parts.

Don't stop posting in the Angling forum though, that would be a fairly sorry outcome to all of this really, and it's pretty bad that you got mixed messages from the mods and whoever else about posting on this Feedback Forum.

Look, the demographic on this website is a good bit younger than your years, and for that reason I do think you'll probably need to adjust your own expectations as to what is and is not acceptable in the day to day discourse on the website.

Sure, it's a little salty, but this is not akin to the letters page of the Irish Times - and in fact should be seen to be closer to the street or playing pitch than the more traditional public formal communications like Newspapers or indeed Sports Journals.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

biko wrote: »
    An eloquent person doesn't have to resort to crude language to convey his or her meaning.
    Swearing is for brutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I said it needs curtailing on certain forums. I never suggested a site wide ban. That would be unrealistic on many forums.
    There is one particular person who swears more than most but he's not alone. I fish, I loose gear, I swear at the time but I don't commit that swear to writing when recounting the tale months later on a thread than kids read.
    The Mod told me to raise it here and you say to raise with the Mods. I'm now confused.
    Ah, ok, sorry if I was a bit defensive there. As Beasty said, the intention of the PM you got was to let you know that the Angling mods intend to set up a local feedback thread and you could raise the issue there, so sorry for the confusion.

There's an ongoing discussion between the mods on that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Swearing is for brutes.

You should check out Strong Language (a sweary blog about swearing), a very entertaining blog about so-called "bad" language which is mostly written by linguists, where you will find that eloquent people may not need to "resort" to swearing, but they certainly can enjoy it, and even revel in it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have to admit that I'm somewhat on Srameen's side here. Swearing and cursing is great in spoken word (and I do swear a lot at times), but I'm not entirely convinced that carte blanche should be given to swearing on Boards. The "gentler" swearwords that have become part of daily language are fine, but I'm not OK with some of the stronger words. I do believe that you should be able to express yourself without being vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

dudara wrote: »
    I have to admit that I'm somewhat on Srameen's side here. Swearing and cursing is great in spoken word (and I do swear a lot at times), but I'm not entirely convinced that carte blanche should be given to swearing on Boards. The "gentler" swearwords that have become part of daily language are fine, but I'm not OK with some of the stronger words. I do believe that you should be able to express yourself without being vile.

I agree.

I can understand swearing in the rant forums/threads, but I don't think it is needed anywhere else and when I modded A&P I often asked people to mind their language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yea, I must say I'm on that side of the fence too - it's not really necessary and we have a swear filter not so much to protect your delicate sensibilities but to discourage that sort of needless vitriol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's a hobby and that does not excuse swearing.

Why does swearing need an excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I remember reading years ago about a dismissal case in the UK relating to the use of bad language by a tradesman. His case was that his language was common coin among his workmates. The person at the receiving end of his tongue countered that in his case the language was directed at her in an aggressive manner. It was held that therein lay a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Swearing is for brutes.

When did eloquence become a requirement for using boards?

Dav wrote: »
    Yea, I must say I'm on that side of the fence too - it's not really necessary and we have a swear filter not so much to protect your delicate sensibilities but to discourage that sort of needless vitriol.

I hear you, however what spawned this thread was far from vitriolic, it was embellished frustration which is a different genre.

"When I got home last night, I stubbed my toe on the feckin doorstep, was in agony for an hour!!!"

Is that vitriol?

"Some fcukin scrote broke into my car last night, robbed the stereo and slashed the new leather seats I just bought"

Is that?

I really don't see a need to have to punish people for posting the odd post like the above. That said, if someone is posting cuss words as part of a normal conversation "just because that's how they talk" then that's a whole different kettle of worms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Steve, stop typing "cuss", you aren't even bleedin American!

Steve, stop typing "cuss", you aren't even bleedin American!

Point taken, alternative suggestion? :)

I'm normally a straight in, no kissin, guy when it comes to embellished language, I was trying to find a word that was pg13 and inoffensive for the sake of this discussion. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Steve wrote: »
    Point taken, alternative suggestion? :)

Curse is the normal word here? Swear is somewhat less common. Cuss is weird. Like you're trying to be in a Western or something. :P

Advertisement