Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Language

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

You can says smegma breath... Pussy face... Cum dumpster ass wipe...

Heck even don't be a dick is the 1st commandment around here...

But "bad language" is filtered ....

You know OP, the bad language taboo is bewildering .... You know historically it came from the European courts (kings and queens, not judges) when they were making the Latin based languages the preferred tongue.

This is why fellatio, vagina, penis, formication (all Latin roots) are acceptable but words with Anglo Saxon or Germanic roots are not.... Words relating to the body or its functions have moral approval with a Latin root.

**** not ok. Feces ok. Piss bad. Urine good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Most of the teens I know swear like sailors, just not when the parents are around. I've actually learned some colourful language from people younger than me. :pac:
    It's an age thing I think, most people grow out of it when they are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...most people grow out of it when they are older.
    Some of us only get worse. :o

Some of us only get worse. :o
    I know my sentence accounted for ye already. :pac:

Not that it bothers me anyway, sticks and stones and all that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is absolutely no doubt, I swore far more as an 13 year old than I have ever done in my adult life. The thing was though it was very much frowned upon, which is probably why I did grow out of it. I guess the "rebellious" nature of swearing in those days created an appeal.

I don't doubt it's as prevailant amongst youngsters nowadays (and possibly more so). Make it something that everyone sees as part of everyday life though and where does it end? Again it probably happens a lot in some families, but my wife would be mortified if she thought our youngest kids were heavily exposed to that sort of stuff. Encourage it amongst 13 year olds and before too long it's standard vocabulary for 5 and 6 year olds.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    There is absolutely no doubt, I swore far more as an 13 year old than I have ever done in my adult life. The thing was though it was very much frowned upon, which is probably why I did grow out of it. I guess the "rebellious" nature of swearing in those days created an appeal.

I don't doubt it's as prevailant amongst youngsters nowadays (and possibly more so). Make it something that everyone sees as part of everyday life though and where does it end? Again it probably happens a lot in some families, but my wife would be mortified if she thought our youngest kids were heavily exposed to that sort of stuff. Encourage it amongst 13 year olds and before too long it's standard vocabulary for 5 and 6 year olds.
    It's already in most places now though, they probably hear adults and other kids saying it, it would be in the movies they watch, the music they listen to.

I can understand Boards not wanting it to become a free for all, saying you are doing it for the kids however when they probably know worse stuff than we do is a bit silly. Keeps the site flowing and the swear filter works when people don't use the work arounds, handing out cards and bans seems a bit over the top is all. Maybe limit it to the people working around the filter?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

handing out cards and bans seems a bit over the top is all.
    Don't think anyone's been talking about handing out cards or bans. Of course if a mod issues an instruction that's then ignored sometimes that's an appropriate way to ensure the message is taken. I'm certainly not advocating taking any action except when it's gratuitous as one poster acted earlier in the thread - then it may simply be a matter of issuing an in thread warning to tone it down a bit.

Of course if it's used in an abusive manner towards other users then I would certainly expect mods to act accordingly and posters should expect to receive cards and/or bans in such circumstances

Don't think anyone's been talking about handing out cards or bans. Of course if a mod issues an instruction that's then ignored sometimes that's an appropriate way to ensure the message is taken. I'm certainly not advocating taking any action except when it's gratuitous as one poster acted earlier in the thread - then it may simply be a matter of issuing an in thread warning to tone it down a bit.

Of course if it's used in an abusive manner towards other users then I would certainly expect mods to act accordingly and posters should expect to receive cards and/or bans in such circumstances
    I assumed that was what the thread was asking for, for swearing to be clamped down on in the Angling forum?

I agree if it is being used to abuse another poster then defo action it, I just meant in general.

I assumed that was what the thread was asking for, for swearing to be clamped down on in the Angling forum?
    Clamping down on something does not automatically equate to issuing cards or bans.

The specific Angling forum issue was largely dealt with earlier in the thread when the relevant CMods (myself included) suggested a local feedback thread (ie one within the forum) to see what the general feelings were within the forum (along with any other feedback points posters wanted to raise). That thread has not been started yet, largely because we were waiting for this discussion to die down.

Clamping down on something does not automatically equate to issuing cards or bans.

The specific Angling forum issue was largely dealt with earlier in the thread when the relevant CMods (myself included) suggested a local feedback thread (ie one within the forum) to see what the general feelings were within the forum (along with any other feedback points posters wanted to raise). That thread has not been started yet, largely because we were waiting for this discussion to die down.
    That is fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There is absolutely no doubt, I swore far more as an 13 year old than I have ever done in my adult life. The thing was though it was very much frowned upon, which is probably why I did grow out of it.

as was being gay or divorce or not being catholic. We have thankfully grown out of all these things as a nation though. As is the case with notions about the connotations or censorship of certain words or language (for the most part at least)

Advertisement