Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge price discrepancy between STG and EUR. Shop around!

• 15-09-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭

Have started compiling Xmas shopping list, and shopping around to gauge prices etc, and it seems that STG to EUR price difference can be quite substantial... so it definitely pays to shop around before purchase!

I was looking at Xeno Toy:
    on argos.ie they charge €114.99 CLICK HERE

on argos.co.uk they charge £39.99 CLICK HERE

That's a price difference of €60 charged by the same retail company!! :eek:
    If you factor in Parcel Motel, you'd still be saving around €55!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

soc wrote: »
    Have started compiling Xmas shopping list, and shopping around to gauge prices etc, and it seems that STG to EUR price difference can be quite substantial... so it definitely pays to shop around before purchase!

on argos.co.uk they charge £39.99 CLICK HERE

That's a price difference of €60 charged by the same retail company!! :eek:
    If you factor in Parcel Motel, you'd still be saving around €55!

You are kidding right? Did you not notice that the UK one is currently on special offer at half price, it normally costs £80/€109, whereas the Irish one is €115 so that's a whopping difference of €6 or less than 5% and that is not even taking into account the difference in vat rates (+ 3% here). You are comparing a sale price to a standard price, that is not a "rip off"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I've seen that loads of times with Argos. It's a few years ago now but I remember there being €100 difference in two items that were both the same price on the UK store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

soc wrote: »

did you see this
    Additional Information

* Please note item 2498191 has previously been on sale at €58.99.

Current selling price valid until 13/10/2015

I expect you could find sale items on the irish site which are more on the UK one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I find the total opposite - massive ripoff in uk.

I wanted a new dog harness.

Same brand product - amazon €21.40, petmania €14.50.

Same with footwear and several other items. last time i used amazon was about 6 months ago because uk prices are just too high these days.

Ps €59.99 in Smyths Toys - 100% Irish owned too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

delahuntv wrote: »
    I find the total opposite - massive ripoff in uk.

I wanted a new dog harness.

Same brand product - amazon €21.40, petmania €14.50.

Same with footwear and several other items. last time i used amazon was about 6 months ago because uk prices are just too high these days.

Ps €59.99 in Smyths Toys - 100% Irish owned too.

Same. Was in Birmingham a while back and shopping I thought it very expensive. Convert from stg to Euro lots of things more expensive than here I figured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

It is now almost always now just as cheap in Ireland for most things versus the UK price at present. Not only as a result of the exchange rate but the cost of living is rising a fair bit in the UK also.

I have been pricing a fair few items in Halfords atm and they work out much cheaper in Letterkenny compared with Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If buying online I check EU sites now, there are seveal price search engines and google translate makes it easier. Got some good savings buying from germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

rubadub wrote: »
    If buying online I check EU sites now, there are seveal price search engines and google translate makes it easier. Got some good savings buying from germany.

Amazon.de is now available in English as well

Advertisement