Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10k in October

Options
  • 15-09-2015 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Looking for a 10k in October around the Dublin area and came across the following:

10th Oct Donadea Forest
    11th Oct Pigsback Run Phoenix Park
    18th Oct Longwood

Any recommendations or if there are any others I don't know about?

I'm swaying towards the one in the park because it's closer but it's 2laps which I'm not a huge fan of.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

The Simon 5 mile is on Sat 3rd October. Not a 10K, but may be close enough for you? Plus it's in phoenix park, and just one lap.

Here's the route from their wesbite. http://www.dubsimon.ie/Portals/0/Fun%20Run%202014/FUN_MAP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Donadea is two laps also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

xElDeeX wrote: »
    Donadea is two laps also!
    Is it

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Is it

Think so .Haven't done it in a couple of years .Starts outside the forest park then does 2 loops of 3-4k if memory serves. Doesn't feel too repetitive as start and end are different but there are laps alright.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody ever do this Pigsback 10k? This is the first time I have heard of it. My DCM15 plan has me running my final race that weekend and I have been looking for a race, was just going to do a parkrun but may give this a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Dub13 wrote: »
    Anybody ever do this Pigsback 10k? This is the first time I have heard of it. My DCM15 plan has me running my final race that weekend and I have been looking for a race, was just going to do a parkrun but may give this a go.

As far as I'm aware it's the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

Cillies ac bettystown,10k oct 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Register for this myself as prep for the Clonfarf half. Little confoused by the setup, I have paid for me registration, and now have a voucher, to redeem, but no idea how to redeem it. At the moment no one has any info on me other than my name, I could I 18 or 80 for all they care.

Register for this myself as prep for the Clonfarf half. Little confoused by the setup, I have paid for me registration, and now have a voucher, to redeem, but no idea how to redeem it. At the moment no one has any info on me other than my name, I could I 18 or 80 for all they care.

Have you worked this out yet..? Looking to register myself.

Have you worked this out yet..? Looking to register myself.

Still scratching my head with this one. From what I can gather I will get my race number on the day, but from a logistic point of view, it would have made more sense to get personal info first, like date of birth, and gender. I understand it is a fun run, but, still little point in having a running order without any regard for age or gender etc.

• Advertisement

Okay so they have the map up now on Facebook. Registration from 8am on Sunday, now I have to think about how I get out to the Phoenix park before 10am, for the race start. Wish I had seen the route before hand 5k mark is short of start line from looking at the map i.e start and finish line are different no big deal for the 5k, but if you are doing, the 10k looks like you will be running an extra 200 metres to get back to the start line again. :eek::eek:, unless the have a different finish matt for the 10k racer. fingers crossed on that.

Hope the race goes smoothly, as it is a really worthy cause, but the information has been really slow to trickle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Okay so they have the map up now on Facebook. Registration from 8am on Sunday, now I have to think about how I get out to the Phoenix park before 10am, for the race start. Wish I had seen the route before hand 5k mark is short of start line from looking at the map i.e start and finish line are different no big deal for the 5k, but if you are doing, the 10k looks like you will be running an extra 200 metres to get back to the start line again. :eek::eek:, unless the have a different finish matt for the 10k racer. fingers crossed on that.

Hope the race goes smoothly, as it is a really worthy cause, but the information has been really slow to trickle down.

Also looking at the route it seems like runners have to cross each other at the 2k/approximately 4.5k mark.

Also looking at the route it seems like runners have to cross each other at the 2k/approximately 4.5k mark.

Yeah could be trick particularly when faster 10k runners are making their 2nd loop and come against some of runner still on their first lap. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

I wonder is that map correct? For the other 10k races I have done in the Park (Aware, Arc) you turn right at the junction of Ordinance Survey Road and Knockmaroon Road and then come out of the Furry Glen running up the Upper Glen Road. That course avoids people having to cross over each other, which I imagine would be a hazard.

What do we have to bring to registration? All I have is an email confirming that I have reserved a place. I wonder will there be many entrants? It seems quite low key.

Caprica wrote: »
    I wonder is that map correct? For the other 10k races I have done in the Park (Aware, Arc) you turn right at the junction of Ordinance Survey Road and Knockmaroon Road and then come out of the Furry Glen running up the Upper Glen Road. That course avoids people having to cross over each other, which I imagine would be a hazard.

What do we have to bring to registration? All I have is an email confirming that I have reserved a place. I wonder will there be many entrants? It seems quite low key.

I have no idea. I have no driving license, and don't exactly want to bring my passport, can't even see mention of a bag drop area. They have mentioned the 10k doing 2 loops. Apparently not IAA measured which is disappointing.

Well I signed up anyway as it suited my DC15 plan. Seems a bit low key alright. Getting anywhere in Dublin early on a Sun via public transport is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 squirrel84

Hi,
    Any feedback from this race & route last year? Is it mainly walkers & Joggers or was there many runners around 40-45 mins pace?
    I was considering doing it as part of DCM16 training plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

You could do worse than hop on a bus and head down the motorway (10 euro each way) and do the St. Michael's 10km in Limerick City on Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I did the Pigsback 10k last year as a final blowout before DCM. Not a great experience....organisation seemed pretty haphazard, some pigsback manager led the warm up (in jeans if I recall correctly :o )
    They used that timing company that went bust a week later (precision timing? I stand to be corrected on that one....) and the chip times and results were never uploaded. Also the 5k loop was AT LEAST 250m long. I measured the 10k at nearly 10.7k.... this isn't a person who did their first 10k and comes on boards complaining that their Garmin measured 10.3k either. The course was not even close to being accurate......so yeah i'd give it a miss if you had the choice, but there's not a lot of options as far as I can see for that weekend. There's 10k races on the following week in Carlow & Graigue Ballycallan but they could be too late for some people's DCM plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

There is an AC 10k in Kilkenny on 16th http://www.totaltiming.ie/event/graigue-ballycallan-ac-5k-family-fun-run-10k-road-race-2016/

And a Pop race in Carlow town (Rugby Club) https://www.popupraces.ie/events/carlow-rugby-run-2016/ on 16th too

Any clue how good these pop up races are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I've done about 3 over the past couple of years and they've been fine. Pop up do the timing and the rest is the local organisers so that appears to be how it works. I had no problem with the events I've done.

There's one in Meath in two weeks time i think and there's Donadea this weekend so they do have plenty of choice from what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

FYI this is a the route for the Pop race in Carlow Rugby club on the 16th (11am).

For the 10k it's an out and back on a straightforward road: I just signed up.

link for the route http://pasteboard.co/bDMfBRVYK.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

charkee wrote: »
    Cillies ac bettystown,10k oct 17?

I can't seem to find any info on this online - their site or their facebook page. Anyone know?

Advertisement