Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of building pc,s to sell

Options
  • 15-09-2015 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

hi guys im just toying with the idea of building some low spec every day use type of pcs to hopefully make a few quid on the side and who knows maybe end up making lots, so im just looking to make two machines to start with ive priced up components here is an example http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

anyway that particular build would cost me 120 pounds ive also priced up a similar build for about 90quid im just wondering what a fair resale price ? or is it even worth doing ? like I say I will build 2 to start and if they sell then I will build more provided Ive made a decent enough profit so what do you think ? also any advice on cheap builds ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Link just leads to shopping cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Be honest in descriptions. If you try to label it as a High End Gaming Machine with a Pentium and a GTX640 you'll likely get torn apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭cml387

And what OS?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

Be honest in descriptions. If you try to label it as a High End Gaming Machine with a Pentium and a GTX640 you'll likely get torn apart.

oh ive no intention of labelling them as that just want to build a pc that would be good for surfing the net watching films and using office more of a media center and that's what I will advertise them as im just wondering is there much profit to be made

eg
    psu and case 22pound
    amd dual core cpu 27pound
    motherboard 17pound
    ram 4gb 15pounds
    optical dvd 12pound
    couple of 80mm fans 4pounds
    320gbhdd 20pounds

total cost to me 117pounds postage 10 and was thinking of selling for around 180 or is that just too optimistic ?

cml387 wrote: »
    And what OS?

I have copys of windows xp, 7 home premium and ultimate also windows 8.1 I would leve them with no os and ask the buyer to message me after buying to request an os of their choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭cml387

Best of luck.
    A Dell Inspiron laptop (which will actually boot into windows 10) with Dell support and guarantee would cost 349 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

If you started doing this as a business, you would have to provide a warranty and would be responsible for replacing any parts that were defective during the warranty period of at least 1 year from date of purchase

Most companies aren't too keen on people stealing their software, so you would have to buy licences for the OS on each machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Don't forget VAT, tax etc.

jahalpin wrote: »
    If you started doing this as a business, you would have to provide a warranty and would be responsible for replacing any parts that were defective during the warranty period of at least 1 year from date of purchase

Most companies aren't too keen on people stealing their software, so you would have to buy licences for the OS on each machine

I doubt he has any interest in doing it as a business. He says himself he's just trying to make a few euro.

OP, personally, if i were you, i'd keep an eye on adverts for a month or two. Watch the sales of PCs on there. See if they sell well or are they dire sellers.

No point holding onto a PC for months, listening to people haggling and giving out on adverts, and being out €150 to make €30 at the end of it all.

There could be a market there, but as a Joe Soap myself with limited PC knowledge, I'd never, ever buy a second hand PC or laptop. But that's just me.

That said, I did pay a guy on here before to put a PC together for me. I ordered the parts (that he advised), shipped to his house, he did the job of putting it together and I collected it. It's the PC Im using now and it was great. I could customise it and he was excellent to deal with.

I reckon this PC will be needing replacing in the next year, and I'll hunt down the same chap again. Thought he was brilliant.

Maybe that service could be an idea? A fair bit of trust needed though!

I doubt he has any interest in doing it as a business. He says himself he's just trying to make a few euro.

OP, personally, if i were you, i'd keep an eye on adverts for a month or two. Watch the sales of PCs on there. See if they sell well or are they dire sellers.

No point holding onto a PC for months, listening to people haggling and giving out on adverts, and being out €150 to make €30 at the end of it all.

There could be a market there, but as a Joe Soap myself with limited PC knowledge, I'd never, ever buy a second hand PC or laptop. But that's just me.

That said, I did pay a guy on here before to put a PC together for me. I ordered the parts (that he advised), shipped to his house, he did the job of putting it together and I collected it. It's the PC Im using now and it was great. I could customise it and he was excellent to deal with.

I reckon this PC will be needing replacing in the next year, and I'll hunt down the same chap again. Thought he was brilliant.

Maybe that service could be an idea? A fair bit of trust needed though!

spot on mate yea im just going to do a couple of builds all brand new parts and sell them on my ebay account just to test the waters, and if I see ive made a decent profit then maybe advertise to build gaming rigs ive built my own gaming pc for 390quid and ive seen less powerful systems selling for around 500 so it got me thinking maybe theres a bit of money in it, would not be selling enough of them to get taxed on and as for warranty all the parts I buy come with a years guarantee so if anything went wrong id be more than willing to fix it for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

superfish wrote: »
    is there much profit to be made?

I think everybody who's built a PC has asked themselves this because they see the discrepancy between pre-built prices and DIY prices, but I think once you become a producer of product and have to start following up on all the individual cases of parts going wrong and random 14-day refunds you'll see where that price premium comes from.

If you have a natural aptitude for computers and repairing them you're much better off becoming a well-known repair-guy, "curing virii" and such.
    Hardware is a headache waiting to happen.

Advertisement