Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

move software from old laptop to new one (no install CD)

Options
  • 15-09-2015 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Anyone know if it's somehow possible to move your software from an old laptop to a new one by somehow just copying and pasting the installed folder?

Basically I've a really old laptop and some good software but have no discs, don't even have the recovery disc for the op system or anything like that.
    Laptop is nearing it's end and I am thinking of getting a new one but hanging on to my old friend! Part of the reason I'm hanging on is I don't want to go and purchase/source new software!

Is there any way?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

It would be totally dependent on how the original s/w installed itself. If there are associated registry entries or library (.dll) files necessary then it's unlikely that this would be possible. Have you look around for alternative programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭superfish

Try clonezilla to ghost the hdd http://clonezilla.org/ or if the hdd are the same size and spec just swap them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Perhaps you may want to consider a Mac as a new laptop? As a dual system user, the 'Time Machine' yoke is waaay super handy.
    Some software can be re-authorised (licensed transfered) and may already be dual system files anyway, on the original discs.

Advertisement