Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A career change for an auto mechanic advice

Options
  • 15-09-2015 11:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am an auto mechanic and auto electrician with 10 years experience in the trade. For a while now I have lost real interest in the trade due to a few factors such as low pay, physical stress and the bad name of the trade. I'm wanting to do something else but retain my skills in automotive as it's all I really know but I'm completely at a blank at what to do! Has any one had a similar situation where they have made the change from automotive?
    Even anyone that has some advice on how to go about making a career change. Career guidance etc.

I'm grateful for any advice given
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Similar to yourself, although i dont believe it really matters what your background is in
    I was in construction but now I'm also going into my third year in college.
    Im 35 with a family
    As far as advice goes, sooner you make the decision the better, it sounds like you have itch that needs scratched
    See what supports you can put in place both financially and mentally (its tough going)

maybe set the ball rolling for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chumpy

Mechanical/Electrical engineering might be up your street! but as the poster above said to sooner you make a decision the better, you will have to apply to college through the CAO so keep that in mind find out how it works and make a good application, if you don't think transitioning into college is going to be easy do an access course to bring you up to speed. Access courses are good as you might find something else you like and are good at. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 chumpy

Mechanical/Electrical engineering might be up your street! but as the poster above said the sooner you make a decision the better, you will have to apply to college through the CAO so keep that in mind find out how it works and make a good application, if you don't think transitioning into college is going to be easy do an access course to bring you up to speed. Access courses are good as you might find something else you like and are good at. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DWG

You could look into becoming a teacher or trainer for FAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hildred

Autochange wrote: »
    Hi. I am an auto mechanic and auto electrician with 10 years experience in the trade. For a while now I have lost real interest in the trade due to a few factors such as low pay, physical stress and the bad name of the trade. I'm wanting to do something else but retain my skills in automotive as it's all I really know but I'm completely at a blank at what to do! Has any one had a similar situation where they have made the change from automotive?
    Even anyone that has some advice on how to go about making a career change. Career guidance etc.

I'm grateful for any advice given
    Thanks

Try to get to various college open days so you can get a feel for what's on offer in each college. Talk to the career guidance counsellors there, they might be able to help you find that course you just know you're going to love. Also, if you've been out of education for awhile, an Access course in foundation studies will be of HUGE benefit in terms of study skills, time management, academic writing, etc. it would be well worth your while to check these out for your locality.

Best of luck with your career choice, and on your future path; and well done on taking the first step! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement