Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2500 build for a friend

Options
  • 16-09-2015 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine has been saving up for a while so I'm helping him build a new PC, he has a mad budget of 2500, this is what I've worked up so far:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/KzwBnQ

Any issues here? Or something that should be swapped out?

Here's the questionnaire filled out anyway:

1. What is your budget? 2500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, multiple genres and ages

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? 1TB HDD and Blu-Ray Drive

5. Do you need a monitor? Y

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Any size, 2560x1440 up, non-TN (refresh rates don't matter)

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Debit card

9. When are you purchasing? When build is finalized

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's always gonna be OTT if he wants to spend that. Dropping to 8gb RAM and a 600w PSU are the only changes I'd make, maybe more SSD space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

It's always gonna be OTT if he wants to spend that. Dropping to 8gb RAM and a 600w PSU are the only changes I'd make, maybe more SSD space.

Didn't realise I had put in 16GB RAM actually, could've sworn I chose the 2 x 4 option, guess that explains the price!

As for the PSU, know any decent 600W+ fully modular PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Most EVGA, Seasonic, BeQuiet and Corsair otes are grand

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/venomireland/saved/fV3Qzy

So my friend is looking to order this week or next. Are there any glaring issues or considerations to be made? The case might be changed depending on his preference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/venomireland/saved/fV3Qzy

So my friend is looking to order this week or next. Are there any glaring issues or considerations to be made? The case might be changed depending on his preference.

I would go with 2 x 4GB sticks rather than a single stick to use double channel RAM.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

With some games taking up 50GB+ a bigger SSD wouldn't go amiss. I'd also recommend a second monitor even if it's only a cheapo one.

I would go with 2 x 4GB sticks rather than a single stick to use double channel RAM.

F sake, that's twice now I've made a mistake with RAM without noticing, thanks!
    With some games taking up 50GB+ a bigger SSD wouldn't go amiss. I'd also recommend a second monitor even if it's only a cheapo one.

Yeah that's likely a good idea. As for the second monitor, he has a cheapy 24" 1920x1080 monitor that I was going to suggest he use as a secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

F sake, that's twice now I've made a mistake with RAM without noticing, thanks!
    It makes very little difference with a gaming rig, I wouldn't stress about it.
    If you have an inkling that he might want to upgrade RAM to 16GB in the next few years I'd leave it at a single 8GB stick.
    Apart from that, build looks solid. I'd probably search out a GSync monitor considering the card that's there, but that's all I'd change.

grindle wrote: »
    It makes very little difference with a gaming rig, I wouldn't stress about it.
    If you have an inkling that he might want to upgrade RAM to 16GB in the next few years I'd leave it at a single 8GB stick.
    Apart from that, build looks solid. I'd probably search out a GSync monitor considering the card that's there, but that's all I'd change.

Nah from what he will be using it for, 2x4 should be enough for now, I doubt he'll want the full 4 DIMM slots with 32GB in the future!
    As for the GSYnc, He's the type of person who'd appreciate the colour accuracy from the U2515H more than a GSync panel. Especially as he does drawing on a tablet now and then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement