Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Trip, Car Hire & Insurance

Options
  • 16-09-2015 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Howdy all

Hitting the US for a fortnight in Nov and hiring a car for the second week.

Got stung the last time for the 'excess' on the insurance but I hear
    you can book this online, separate to the car hire "standard insurance".

Can one of you kind folk advise on where is best for car hire
    and what's the best way to go about covering insurance of the car.

I'll be buying travel insurance separate to the car hire. Can it all be combined?

BRAIN FRAZZLED!!!
    TIA
    Hooked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

I came here to ask about car insurance too. And my head is fried looking at websites.

What do i need for a car hire for a few days. Do they ask for documents eg payslip, bank statement, etc. Would they accept a debit card? And what is this insurance the above poster is speaking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

We rented a car a few weeks ago in Orlando through Hertz and it was fairly straight forward.

We booked online and paid when we got there. But they did add a $200 cover to the $267 it cost us on to the credit card and then added it back when we returned the car. And there was an added $65 'roadside cover' that we didn't know of before that was optional, but it was to cover us paying upwards of $250 for any roadside assistance if something happened. So we went with it. You also need to return the car back with a full tank of gas but it was a whopping $18 to fill the car so we were absolute delighted about that!

They didn't ask for any documents at all, aside from a passport and driving licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I came here to ask about car insurance too. And my head is fried looking at websites.

What do i need for a car hire for a few days. Do they ask for documents eg payslip, bank statement, etc. Would they accept a debit card? And what is this insurance the above poster is speaking off.

Use a credit card if possible. A lot of car hire places will put a freeze of 2K on debit cards which could put a bit of a dampener on your holiday spending.

For hotels etc, credit is king as they will just "freeze" an amount on your credit card instead of debiting your cash as a deposit.

Advertisement