Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Swords

• 16-09-2015 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi,
    my wife and me we are considering moving to Swords. House prices are pushing us out of Castleknock where we live currently. I'd like if some of you who live in the area to share your experience.
    We consider two spots. 3b semi in Brookdale next to Rivervalley and the 4b terraced in new development in Fairbrook behind Applewood.
    Our biggest questions at the moment are:
    What is the commuting like? we usually hit the road around 7:30 in the morning.
    What is the area like, schools, sport, crime etc.
    Any opinions are very welcome and appreciated
    Best!
    T.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi tatrman:

If you use the forum search function you should find useful advice already given recently that should answer "What is the area like, schools, sport, crime etc."

In relation to "What is the commuting like?" - where would you be commuting to - Dublin North/South/West, somewhere else? By car, bike, bus, train?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here's the most recent thread on buying a house in Swords http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057478055

I've lived in Swords for more than 30 years and I absolutely love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

I don't think this question was covered in the other thread but how bad is the traffic in swords around peak times (7-9am & 5-7pm)? The infrastructure is quite good around swords so I thought it would take it quite well but I could be incorrect.

Also does the Swords Express generally run on time? As I would be reliant on this service if I moved there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I don't think this question was covered in the other thread but how bad is the traffic in swords around peak times (7-9am & 5-7pm)? The infrastructure is quite good around swords so I thought it would take it quite well but I could be incorrect.

Also does the Swords Express generally run on time? As I would be reliant on this service if I moved there.

Traffic can get busy, especially around schools.

The Swords Express is very reliable, I get it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Can highly recommend the swords express.. Park in holywell, and you'll be in town in 15-20 mins.. Road through baromhie can be busy at 5.30-6.00.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

tatrman wrote: »
    Hi,
    my wife and me we are considering moving to Swords. House prices are pushing us out of Castleknock where we live currently. I'd like if some of you who live in the area to share your experience.
    We consider two spots. 3b semi in Brookdale next to Rivervalley and the 4b terraced in new development in Fairbrook behind Applewood.
    Our biggest questions at the moment are:
    What is the commuting like? we usually hit the road around 7:30 in the morning.
    What is the area like, schools, sport, crime etc.
    Any opinions are very welcome and appreciated
    Best!
    T.

Where are you going to be commuting to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Thanks for that. I hoping to get a job around the IFSC so presume I'd hop off at the convention centre. Journey time doesn't look that bad but as some have said the school rush towards 9 would slow down the journey a bit.

One thing as a potential newbie to Swords is that there's lot of amenities around. A few more Swords Express buses on the timetable would be nice but you can't have anything I suppose. Looking forward to getting everything sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Swords is a great big town now and has everything. The Pavilions and Airside have really put us on the map. And the estuary is lovely for a walk, as are all the beaches that are within easy reach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

Hey thanks all for advice. I probably will have to commute by car and I know it could be bad around port tunnel and collins ave. junction. I'm worried a bit about new parallel runway as well.

Hey thanks all for advice. I probably will have to commute by car and I know it could be bad around port tunnel and collins ave. junction. I'm worried a bit about new parallel runway as well.

Do you mean because of the noise? We don't hear the planes in Rivervalley and I'd be surprised if anyone did elsewhere in Swords. If the new runway is parallel to an existing one I'd imagine we won't hear the planes taking off from that one either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Do you mean because of the noise? We don't hear the planes in Rivervalley and I'd be surprised if anyone did elsewhere in Swords. If the new runway is parallel to an existing one I'd imagine we won't hear the planes taking off from that one either.

The proposed new runway will replace the old runway on the Swords side of the airport. I remember back when that was the main runway and you definitely could hear the planes come and go a lot in Rivervalley - though planes are a lot quieter now.

Ah I see. I remember that old runway being in in use too, it didn't bother us very much though - and we only had single glazed windows then. There was much more noise from engines being tested, back when TEAM were there repairing and servicing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

If you're the type that likes the gym, there's a 24hr one in Airside. Vey handy for when you can't sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

the new runway should be longer - to facilitate long haul flights, bigger aircrafts, bigger noise. It is definitely a concern.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If you are commuting by car into the city centre for a regular 9-5 job, I'd advise against it.

the new runway should be longer - to facilitate long haul flights, bigger aircrafts, bigger noise. It is definitely a concern.

This made me wonder why I hadn't heard more about the new runway locally -as a community we would strongly object if it was going to cause a noise problem for us. So I had a look at the plan on the Aer Lingus site, and at the airport on Google maps, and the reason I hadn't heard anything is because it's not going to affect us.
    I'd be concerned if the runway was running away from the area because we'd be likely to hear the engines then, because planes would be taking off and coming in over Swords.
    I'd worry more if I was living in an area that's in the flight path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

There has been no decision taken yet on the proposed parrallel runway to the existing 10/28 runway.

Its only a proposal and it depends on a lot of factors, money, px numbers, growth, long haul carriers etc.

Here is a link to the DAA website FAQ'S, no mention of Swords being affecting the flight path or approach of aircraft if it indeed gets the green light.
    The DAA have planning permission already with 34 condition's attached on the E.I.S.

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/about-us/community-affairs/new-parallel-runway/faqs.aspx

And traffic in Swords is no different to any suburb of Dublin during rush hour traffic am/pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ewekom

I moved month ago to swords apple wood village its 10/15 min walk from fairebrook it's nice area just beside is school n community center with lot of activities, I take swords express recommend 500x goes quickest 35min to convention center very reliable unless some accident in tunnel do big delays but itdoesn't happen all time. U can see lot of planes but it doesn't bother not noisy at all

Advertisement