Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to make beauty salon busy

Options
  • 16-09-2015 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, Ive recently opened a Beauty salon in Dublin 7. Its very quiet and I'm starting to worry.Is it normal to be this quiet to start? Last week it was quite busy but most of people where known to me.. I would like some ideas how to get the business to be more busy. I advertise with google and facebook.. i use social media to its fullest but still not very rewarding. Ive had an opening day which wasn't crazy busy but still pulled a few people. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How long are you open?
    Have you a website?
    Did you have a marketing plan when setting up?
    In your business plan how did you intend to develop your business.
    In the short-term maybe try flyers in local shops and supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 beautyb

only 2 weeks opened, yes i have a website and marketing plan and all that but seems its not working to well. I have to try leave leaflets around the area as i only left flyers for the opening day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Have you flyers? Maybe drop some into local Weightwatchers/slimming world classes.
    try to get lots of shares on FB - maybe suggest a competition, when you receive X number of likes you will do a draw for everyone that shared your page
    would you consider advertising on Groupon or Living Social or one of them - just run some deals to get people going to you
    Any schools around you - maybe drop in leaflets offering Debs packages (altho that season is prob over)
    what about offices - hand out leaflets offering Christmas party packages

beautyb wrote: »
    only 2 weeks opened, yes i have a website and marketing plan and all that but seems its not working to well. I have to try leave leaflets around the area as i only left flyers for the opening day.

Just be careful with flyers, they have a "crumple zone"
    I've found people tend to bin them, a card on the other hand goes into the wallet or purse.

Schools are back and peoples spare cash is gone on that. Avoid Groupon etc as they don't generally make for repeat customers.

Also ask a mod to move this to entrepreneurial and business management forum. You'll get better replies.
    Where in D7 are you? I'm not sure if a mod will allow you to mention the name of the salon as it may be seen as spamming.

You're only open a few weeks and you need to be drumming up business. It won't walk in the door.
    Maybe advertise in the local credit union notice board or parish magazine.
    I know Christ the king church has a magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

How about offering a complimentary half hour massage to a couple of businesses in the area and ask them to think of you if their customers are talking/asking about salons and hang a poster for your salon in their window or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Make sure you ask any customers you do get in to review you on Facebook.

Maybe run a competition for a free treatment for everyone who checks in on Facebook for the next 2 weeks or something (their friends will see the check in on FB).

Also as others have said, get out and about in the local area and tell everyone that you are there. If there is a local newspaper (like Northside People or something) see if you can advertise in that or run a competition. People will come if they know that you are there, but you need to tell them and then make sure that they tell their friends until you have built up a few regulars. Make use of your friends and family if you are from the area and get them in for a 'tester' to try out your services and then tell everyone they know. If you are giving free treatments though only choose the people you know will tell lots of other people - be strict, no pojt giving freebies if you get nothing in return :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

I was in my local salon the other day and the girl working there said that they have waxing wednesdays where all waxing is half price. She said people travel from the length and breath of Dublin to go there. It's a huge success.
    Might be a good way to build a customer base. Also run a competition on facebook, 2 free treatments of choice, just like and share etc.

I think special offers to start off with would be the way to go, i know i'm always on the lookout for good offers and if i like somewhere i always go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's word of mouth that's your best advertisement. The amount of people who tell us that they read our reviews on Facebook, gets a lot of people in who might not have tried us without it.

Colleges, word tends to spread like wildfire, we started out with one girl from a local university who told her friends, who told their sisters, who told their friends and honestly that 1 student brought in so much business.

Long days. Hard work. Staying til late if you need to. September in beauty salons always tend to be a quiet month in salons anyway.

Don't give away anything for free. People seem to think there's a reason it's free. Don't undervalue yourself. You could advertise vouchers such as buy a 15 euro voucher for 10 euro. That way, people will still have to add some money towards it for a treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Im living in dublin 7 - could you pm me your website? Im always on the lookout for somewhere new!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Im living in dublin 7 - could you pm me your website? Im always on the lookout for somewhere new!

Me too, please pm me, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Im in the area too you can PM me your website if you want.

I only go to salons that offer the best deals. For example i can get a shellac done for €15 and €20 both places aren't that fancy but they do a good job. Its all about prices if you want people to come, and stay.

So... a new salon wouldn't attract me unless there were offers on in the first instance/ or a decent price range. So i think advertising through facebook is the best way. You need really good offers at the beginning and word will spread.

I don't know where you are in D7 but don't forget Blackhall place, the trainee solicitors are there now for 9 months so if you were going to drop flyers that would be worth it! Just stand outside and hand them out to people going in!

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Definitely agree with the above poster, it's all about price for me, and of course good service. Also late opening hours. There are several salons very near me, but I don't go to them as I consider their prices too high. I happily travel to one salon for nails (good prices, open late-ish), one for waxing ( good prices, good service) and one for tan (decent price, open til 10 pm). I am a very loyal customer if prices are good!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Also actual Facebook ads (not just posts on your page) can be quite effective and inexpensive - it suits the campaign to what you have to spend and you can target it to m/f, age range, location, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Not sure if this would be viable, but maybe you could set up a stall somewhere in a busy part of town and perform some free treatments and hand out flyers? That would definitely attract attention

Not sure if this would be viable, but maybe you could set up a stall somewhere in a busy part of town and perform some free treatments and hand out flyers? That would definitely attract attention

She would need a casual traders licence to do so....and they aren't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Op is there a hair salon nearby? If you could chat to them and see if you can leave some flyers with them in exchange for displaying their flyers in your salon. If people are going to a wedding or debs, it's handy to get hair and make up done in places close together.
    Also I don't know that area of Dunlin but is there any hotels nearby which don't have a spa? Again some leaflets or cards in reception would be handy for someone on holiday or going to a wedding. Maybe offer a discount to hotel guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Lots of great suggestions here. I agree that Living Social/Groupon discounts are not worth it - there's little repeat custom and you're devaluing your product/service.
    Some other ideas:
    Discounted treatments for students (on certain days of the week)
    Likewise for over 55s /60s
    Mother/Daughter treatment offers.
    Lots of salons offer bundle pricing like tan, nails & makeup for a discounted price for all 3. For example, I get a lash tint, brow shape and tint for just 20 euro.
    Do you have gift vouchers? These sell well as Xmas & birthday gifts.
    Best of luck with your new salon!

miamee wrote: »
    Make sure you ask any customers you do get in to review you on Facebook.

Maybe run a competition for a free treatment for everyone who checks in on Facebook for the next 2 weeks or something (their friends will see the check in on FB).

Also as others have said, get out and about in the local area and tell everyone that you are there. If there is a local newspaper (like Northside People or something) see if you can advertise in that or run a competition. People will come if they know that you are there, but you need to tell them and then make sure that they tell their friends until you have built up a few regulars. Make use of your friends and family if you are from the area and get them in for a 'tester' to try out your services and then tell everyone they know. If you are giving free treatments though only choose the people you know will tell lots of other people - be strict, no pojt giving freebies if you get nothing in return :)

The local paper is too expensive and not even that they advertise you somewhere where you dont really get seen due to ppl having permanent spots(the best spots). Im doing facebook competitions at the moment so hopefully that will pick up along all the other advice. Ill pop down to the local credit union. Im just afraid they will say no or look at me weirdly??

Get some beauty bloggers in too. I am in the industry too, and the worst thing you can do is under value yourself.

The local paper is too expensive and not even that they advertise you somewhere where you dont really get seen due to ppl having permanent spots(the best spots). Im doing facebook competitions at the moment so hopefully that will pick up along all the other advice. Ill pop down to the local credit union. Im just afraid they will say no or look at me weirdly??

The credit unions generally have a notice board. At least the one in east Cabra does.
    Tesco is also a good spot.
    Get business cards or flyers done on vistaprint and leave them in local shops. Most will accommodate you.

• Advertisement

I would try this if only id know where would be good or if they would allow me to try this .. Id need to make sure I have electricity to provide most treatments or without it they would be limited to nails and eyelashes. maybe make-up ..
    more info on this would be great

The credit unions generally have a notice board. At least the one in east Cabra does.
    Tesco is also a good spot.
    Get business cards or flyers done on vistaprint and leave them in local shops. Most will accommodate you.

I have the cards already so will definitly leave them around

Get some beauty bloggers in too. I am in the industry too, and the worst thing you can do is under value yourself.

Contact them to get a free treatment done ?

rougegal wrote: »
    Lots of great suggestions here. I agree that Living Social/Groupon discounts are not worth it - there's little repeat custom and you're devaluing your product/service.
    Some other ideas:
    Discounted treatments for students (on certain days of the week)
    Likewise for over 55s /60s
    Mother/Daughter treatment offers.
    Lots of salons offer bundle pricing like tan, nails & makeup for a discounted price for all 3. For example, I get a lash tint, brow shape and tint for just 20 euro.
    Do you have gift vouchers? These sell well as Xmas & birthday gifts.
    Best of luck with your new salon!

yes i have gift vouchers, there just not popular now :).. hopefully soon

She would need a casual traders licence to do so....and they aren't cheap.

thought so :(

miamee wrote: »
    Also actual Facebook ads (not just posts on your page) can be quite effective and inexpensive - it suits the campaign to what you have to spend and you can target it to m/f, age range, location, etc.

Good idea bit you need to know what you're doing in setting budget, demographics, wording etc.

Contact them to get a free treatment done ?

Yes in exchange for a review

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

OP if you want to pm me on your details, ill share it on my FB page. Am interested in trying out a new salon aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I know locally, business seems to revolve around tans and nails rather than treatments.
    Do you do shellac/gel nails?

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    I know locally, business seems to revolve around tans and nails rather than treatments.
    Do you do shellac/gel nails?

yes i do shellac and tan , but not gels, will do soon

Advertisement