Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche closer to home or work ?

Options
  • 16-09-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

This might have been discussed previously, but I would love some other views on it, as my head is creaking from the weighing up and down.

I recently got a new job in a large company. My husband also works there but we will be in different departments with roughly the same work hours.

My little one will have to increase her days in the creche from 2 days to 3 days.
    And we are wondering if we will move her to a creche closer to work.
    That way, we can car pool ( save money ) and also drop her off later and collect her earlier. But now all I can think is that im extending her time in the car really. But the days would be long in the creche.
    We would be dropping her off at 8am and collecting her at 5.45 approx.

anyone in the same boat :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Are there any other factors to consider?

For example, I chose a creche closer to my home, because my mum lived nearby and could do a pick up from creche if baby was sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I would say home (usually) as if you are off sick you don't want to have to go the whole way to work to drop child off and come home again. This is less relevant as you are both in the same office.

Another thing would be if child is sick if your parents were close by they could collect child for you otherwise one of you would have to leave work

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Yes, my parents live close to us and the creche and they have had to pick her up previously when she was off form etc. So i might leave her settled where she is..
    Another option because we both have flexi time, is for two cars, one parent drops off and the other collects. This would mean two cars going to the same building though. Havent ruled that out either but it is an extra expense and for 30-60mins less time in the creche.

I might speak to my parents and see if they would be willing to collect her a little earlier and so the day wouldnt feel so long.
    Just conscious of the extra day and slightly longer days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My little one loves creche...I used to feel guilty until I got there an hour early and got a filthy look as they were playing!

bp wrote: »
    My little one loves creche...I used to feel guilty until I got there an hour early and got a filthy look as they were playing!

I will be delighted if this ever ends up the case, but she currently drops everything ,runs to me and gives me the tightest hug imaginable.
    It breaks my heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

My girl gives me a big hug too but I also know she is very very happy there. Perhaps I should feel guilty but I like leaving her for work as she is playing with her friends. Three days is still not loads compared to five so don't be hard on yourself.

I would say the home creche because of grandparents being able to collect her. Also perhaps if she does her free preschool year there and you are perhaps on maternity leave again it would suit much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The child would probably be better in the creche early and a bit later than sitting in your car commuting. Plus if one of you changes work circumstances in the future its more likely that the closer creche to home will be more convenient for you so you may need to change creche again.

I do try to not tie myself up with worry, so thanks for the words of encouragement. My husband is taking parental leave for one day a week and my parents take her for another day. So im lucky is many aspects.
    Think im extra emotional because my last job was just 3 days a week and this is full time, so im still grieving the time off we had together.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I choose closer to work and it was most definitely the right choice for us.
    We were never far from her and if we got delayed in work we could bring her to the office.
    Now that 2 of them are in school,closer to home would be the correct choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I also think close to home is better, especially if it's also near your parents. She won't need to settle somewhere new, can spend time playing instead of in the car and if you're ever sick or on a day off where you have appointments etc it's still easy to drop her off if you need.
    Don't know if it's on your radar but if you were thinking about a second child I kept the eldest still going to her childminder for the first few months and that's near home so it was handy to drop/collect her. If it had been far away I wouldn't have bothered, and to get time alone with the new baby (and to catch up on some snoozes, housework etc) was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭HelgaWard

I think closer to home is better too, it gives you a chance to pick things up in the shops on the way to collect her, and also less chance of her falling asleep than with the longer car journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Near our home childminder is our choice.
    Mainly because she'll be in the local schools eventually etc, and because I can't imagine anything worse than sitting in rush hour traffic with her in the back.
    Our little one is about six weeks in the childminders with the same hours you mention.She's five days a week.Previously, she was 8-4:45, four days of the week, but I got a new job too.
    I'm heartbroken.There have been so many tears,
    mostly mine. Baba no. 2 is now on the way, and I don't intend to stay in this role....this was never what I wanted for my kids.

twosthree wrote: »
    Near our home childminder is our choice.
    Mainly because she'll be in the local schools eventually etc, and because I can't imagine anything worse than sitting in rush hour traffic with her in the back.
    Our little one is about six weeks in the childminders with the same hours you mention.She's five days a week.Previously, she was 8-4:45, four days of the week, but I got a new job too.
    I'm heartbroken.There have been so many tears,
    mostly mine. Baba no. 2 is now on the way, and I don't intend to stay in this role....this was never what I wanted for my kids.

It's so hard. I have a week off now before I start and I'm treasuring every day. It's so tiring at home with them but I'd rather be wrecked from loving them then wrecked from work and trying to catch up.
    Did lotto today. Here's hoping.

Advertisement