Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build for Music Production

Options
  • 16-09-2015 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm currently pricing a build for a PC that will primarily be used for music production programs such as Ableton Live and the likes. Also some usual browsing and word processing etc.

Going to go with an SSD for the OS and HDD for storage. Trying to decide what sort of CPU to go for that will perform well. Don't want to overspend on something that isn't really required so looking for peoples input on a suitable CPU.

Was looking at the following i5.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-3-20GHz-Graphics-Technology-Socket/dp/B00K5J2306/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442407888&sr=8-2&keywords=core+i5

Would this be a good choice or is there a good AMD alternative?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That would be more than adequate. Could also look at the i3 4170 if you want a cheaper alternative which will perform just as well for your use cases.

If you want to post your full build here along with the template from the stickies that would be helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That would be more than adequate. Could also look at the i3 4170 if you want a cheaper alternative which will perform just as well for your use cases.

If you want to post your full build here along with the template from the stickies that would be helpful :)

Thanks. Just putting all the bits together and will post my proposed parts once I have them all. Just wanted a bit of guidance on the CPU as I wasn't sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

It'll work grand, but what kind of workflow do you have? Many effects & VSTs running at once? Because an 8350 is the same price as the 4460 and it'd perform much better than the 4460.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

grindle wrote: »
    It'll work grand, but what kind of workflow do you have? Many effects & VSTs running at once? Because an 8350 is the same price as the 4460 and it'd perform much better than the 4460.

Thanks. Yeah would have lot's of stuff running at once. I'll keep that in mind.

Advertisement