Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hop question

Options
  • 16-09-2015 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. I will be brewing a rosemary and bay ale shortly. I have done it a few times already and ingredients are malt extract, sugar, yeast and of course rosemary sprigs and bay leaves. This time I want to add some hops. I have bought a small bag (25g) of hops so my question is do I add it at the initial boiling stage? Also is 25g enough for a 23l batch or do I need more (or is it a personal preference).
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's a personal preference.
    Without knowing the hop type and alpha acid levels it's hard to say anything about the brew.
    I haven't my logbook handy but I think I brewed weissbier with 30g of noerthern brewer hops before and it was well tasty.

When do you add the rosemary?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It's a personal preference.
    Without knowing the hop type and alpha acid levels it's hard to say anything about the brew.
    I haven't my logbook handy but I think I brewed weissbier with 30g of noerthern brewer hops before and it was well tasty.

Cool thanks. It doesn't say anything about hop type or acididty on the pack unfortunately
    When do you add the rosemary?

It's added to the male extract with the bay and boiled for half an hour if I remember correctly. I can post up the steps here in the next day or so once I find the book at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I was just curious. like hops, the rosemary oils would be absorbed/driven off at different boil times.

If you liked the previous brews, then I'd go with the hops in at the start of the boil.

Advertisement