Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor is reluctant to give copy of property document

Options
  • 16-09-2015 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've recently got key of my house and being owner of property, what documents should I have or to get from solicitor?
    We have signed all the papers including Loan offer forms of bank, Purchase Deed, Land registry deed, Folio deed etc. etc.?

I have not got a single copy of these or other documents from my solicitor who is reluctant to give me copy of above documents I mentioned?
    The only thing we got is the key? My solicitor told me once this property is registered which will take couple of months will then send original registry paper to Bank.

Can I ask if that the way property buying process work in Ireland?
    I paid full fee to solicitor to complete this Property transfer / registration process but when I ask if I can have copy of these forms I signed and proof of the fees I paid e.g. Stamp Duty, Land Registry, part fee of Property Tax/Management fee, she kept asking me why do I need the copies of these as I only need folio documents which will have our name on it?
    I always keep copies of what I have purchased in the past if its property, car, electronics etc. etc. with expense involved on top of the goods’ value but bought property for the first time in Ireland.

Could you please advise on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I never got a copy of documents.
    The originals are with the land registry who I pay to keep them.
    I can get certified copies from the land registry but that will cost me €40.
    That's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Some of those should be coming via the Bank and you should have seen sent copies.

Solicitors (staff) time is precious and he/she probably doesn't want a paralegal stood there photocopying on a fixed fee conveyance. More likely they don't want you calling about every and sundry clause. That's your right but really you should book a separated paid appointment or better yet (and cheaper) do a conveyancing course.

I like to let people (sparks, plumbers etc.) work their magic, and I think of it as magic. I don't get bogged down with the details too much. That said I understand your frustration to a degree but the internal land doc are pretty bloody boring. Loan offer should have come from bank - defo should have a copy of that OP.

Very best of luck with your new home. Enjoy it and don't worry about it - if there was an issue your solicitor would have covered their arse you can rest assured!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have copies of folio documents and stuff that the solicitor sent on during their discovery, but never got copies of the deeds or stuff sent into the land registry or documents filed with Revenue, etc. I think I also have our copy of the loan agreement with the bank, but that's because I took it home.

To a certain extent you're paying your solicitor to keep these documents on your behalf. I suspect there's also an issue in providing copies in that when they come from your solicitor there may be an implication that you're getting "official" copies, when you're actually not.

It's a little bit different to buying cars or electronics since the entire transaction is noted and logged at the national level. So you'll never need to produce receipts to prove that you bought the house or how much you paid for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

When you pay off your mortgage ,you will get the deeds from the bank .
    they might send you a photocopy if you ask them nicely.
    IF you are living in a house with a standard square garden , in front ,
    or at the back ,
    there ,s no particular practical use to having the deeds .
    Unless there,s some dispute with neighbours regarding the boundarys of your house .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

When you are registered in Land Registry as the registered owner your Solicitor should get the certified copy Folio which lists you as the new owner. A copy of that should be sent to you, along with a Balancing Statement showing monies in, monies out. Ie deposit paid, balance of purchase monies paid, etc. All of the original title documents are then sent to your Bank as security for your mortgage. Once you get a copy of your Folio, check it, make sure you are the registered owner and your Bank has a registered charge. Believe me, you don't want a copy of every legal document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What are 'title documents'?
    The document land registry issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Addle wrote: »
    What are 'title documents'?
    The document land registry issues?

Different things for different properties.

New properties would include planning documents, engineer's certificate, now LPT / NPPR / Household charge certificates of exemption/discharge from property charges. copy Transfer showing stamp duty paid, Counterpart Mortgage doc, original Contract for Sale, Family Law Declaration, other Declarations like Section 72 (google it) Fishing Rights etc, - could be old historic documents with Deeds of Conveyances showing the transfer from one owner to the next if the property is old and not registered yet in Land Registry and only in Registry of Deeds - all residential properties that are now transferred have to be registered in Land Registry now. Technically all you need is the Folio which shows you as the registered owner but when you are doing checks etc on the property before you buy, you have to produce some / all of the documents above.

Advertisement