Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof repair

Options
  • 16-09-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just looking for some advice on repair work I had completed on my roof in Dublin. I receieved 3 quotes and went with the one that was 50% cheaper then the other 2. It subsequently increased from €950 euro to €1700. The work was completed on Friday the 4th of September. Last Friday during the bad weather we had a leak in the bedroom below the roof. It was the first time it had ever leaked into the room and trying to dry the ceiling I put a hole into the ceiling.

The company that completed the repairs have been saying they will be out everyday but nobody shows up. What can I do in this situation. The area with the leak is at the front off the house and seems to be below the valley. the work carried out was

1. Repointed all ridge tiles
    2. Replace all missing slates and cracked slates with natural slates.
    3. Re-cap chimney top
    4. re flash chimney with lead
    5. re-apply missing bricks
    6. Apply 4mm torch on felt to the vally
    7. re-pointed valleys

Total cost €1750

I now have a leak one week after them saying I would not see a leak for 20 years.

Any help is grately appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

First questions...

How did you find to company?
    Do the company have a landline number and/or address?
    How did you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

I found them online. They seem to have a good reputation with a view reviews on Google. They have two sites in north and south Dublin. Yes they have landline, address etc and good website. I payed the full amount in cash. maybe I am just jumping the gun a bit but I find it disgraceful that they have still not come back to me after the leak came about after their work. I have a newborn baby in the bedroom where the leak occurred as well. They were meant to be out on Monday, today at 10am and then 3pm but no sign of them. So hence thats why I am looking for some advice. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Out of curiosity, if they quoted you 950 how did it cost 1750?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

The price was put up because of the work to the chimney and re-pointing if the valleys applying 4mm torch on felt to the valley. I was a bit confused in the whole process as I thought they would see the problems and quote me the full ammount and not do 1 bit and say they rest wasent included in price.

Advertisement