Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooding forecasted in the coming days/week

Options
  • 16-09-2015 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up folks.
    Anti-flooding measures are to be deployed in the city next week to deal with some of the highest tides experienced in almost two decades.

The highest tide is expected on Sunday the 27th and could reach up to 20 foot in height – significantly higher than the Quay wall at Spanish Arch.
    http://connachttribune.ie/city-to-be-hit-next-week-by-highest-tides-in-20-years/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Lets hope the weather plays ball or it could turn rather serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Delicia

It'll be interesting to see will the carparks in Salthill be closed off in advance of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

The top of Blackrock diving board won't be as scary a drop. Great for beginners. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If this is the worst high tides Galway has seen in 18 years it begs the question what level of damage was done 18 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AlphaMull

I've no idea what the situation was 18 years ago in terms of damage but I don't think they are saying this event is the 'worst' tide. The are saying it's the highest in 18 years.

Lower tides but with a storm surge behind them would have caused bad flooding in more recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Reference for Galway new-comers

This is how bad it got a couple times just during the last years.

00085123-642.jpg

CLgwT8QWoAAwbeU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

i know i could google it but does anyone know what time high tide is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Note that it's NEXT weekend, not this Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

i know i could google it but does anyone know what time high tide is?

I'm thinking somewhere between 5-5:30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Depends a lot on wind and atmospheric pressure.

Recall Debbie Hurricane in Sept 1961. Serious storm damage and flooding.

Chunks of prom torn out and left up on road.

A lot of flooding in town. At one stage almost all Dominick St flooded.

Hope weather is calm next weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

The tide next week will come to the same height as it did at the end of August: 5.7m.

On its own, a 5.7m tide on its own is not extraordinary at all. There's a spring tide every two weeks, and the most pronounced spring tides tend to happen around the equinoxes [September and March].

If it's accompanied by low atmospheric pressure, and/or strong winds from the West, this can create a 'storm surge', potentially more than a metre higher than the predicted high tide. This can cause serious problems.

On the other hand, if it's accompanied by high atmospheric pressure, and/or strong winds from the East, then Buckfast Plaza will remain above sea level.

Here are the predicted times and heights for the spring tide beginning next weekend (27 September)
    Sunday at 5.20pm: 5.5m
    Monday at 5.44am: 5.5m
    Monday at 6.03pm: 5.7m
    Tuesday at 6.26am: 5.7m
    Tuesday at 6.45pm: 5.7m
    Wednesday at 7.08am: 5.6m
    Wednesday at 7.29pm: 5.5m

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

For anyone who's interested, there is also a lunar eclipse after midnight on Sunday night. I don't know if this has any influence on tidal height, but some people may be interested in staying up to view it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Was there any flooding at all? I didn't notice anything, no high tides nor floods or anything similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

biko wrote: »
    Was there any flooding at all? I didn't notice anything, no high tides nor floods or anything similar.

I don't think there were any reports. I think we can count ourselves lucky though, we've had very high atmospheric pressure and relatively slack winds of late. Had we experienced more traditional poor weather (low pressure, high winds) coupled with the high tides, it would have been a very different story.

Tide was exactly as forecasted. At the Spanish arch area, the water came just as high as the top of the quay wall, but didn't go any higher.

If there had been a storm surge, the water could have come higher. There was no storm surge, (and the weather forecast showed no reason to expect one).

I'm bitterly disappointed to read in todays free paper that the council plan to leave that dreadful eyesore (the aqua-dam) in place for another month.

The spring tide on 29 October will be less pronounced than this week's non-event. They should remove the ugly aqua-dam now, and decide whether to put it up again on Monday 26 October, based on the weather forecast at that time.

yaledo wrote: »
    Tide was exactly as forecasted. At the Spanish arch area, the water came just as high as the top of the quay wall, but didn't go any higher.

If there had been a storm surge, the water could have come higher. There was no storm surge, (and the weather forecast showed no reason to expect one).

I'm bitterly disappointed to read in todays free paper that the council plan to leave that dreadful eyesore (the aqua-dam) in place for another month.

The spring tide on 29 October will be less pronounced than this week's non-event. They should remove the ugly aqua-dam now, and decide whether to put it up again on Monday 26 October, based on the weather forecast at that time.

Are you mad? The council working on a bank holiday!?!! What lunacy is this? :pac:

In fairness to them, for the sake of a month, it probably makes more sense to leave it in place as it's probably not cheap to use.

If they did, they'd be slammed for wasting the money when it could have stayed there for the duration

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Beoga

Of course a nice stone wall (over reinforced concrete) would be a permanent and more aesthetic solution for Spanish Arch area.

In fairness to them, for the sake of a month, it probably makes more sense to leave it in place as it's probably not cheap to use.

If they did, they'd be slammed for wasting the money when it could have stayed there for the duration

Quite right - I suppose it comes down to the question: how much are we prepared to spend to keep our city beautiful.

My heart sinks to think of one of the most beautiful public spaces in the country being inhabited by that great big ugly worm, all for the sake of pinching pennies while preventing flood street from maybe flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Deadly Delta

Beoga wrote: »
    Of course a nice stone wall (over reinforced concrete) would be a permanent and more aesthetic solution for Spanish Arch area.

Something like this would be ideal.

http://rpsgroup.com/Group/News/News-Archives/2011/Aug-2011/Waterford-City-Flood-Alleviation-Scheme.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

yaledo wrote: »
    My heart sinks to think of one of the most beautiful public spaces in the country

:confused:

You need to travel more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

:confused:

You need to travel more.

Ah in fairness, on a nice day the view from the Bridge of the Arches, Long Walk/across the bay is pretty iconic. Might not be THE most beautiful spot but it's definitely well photographed. 'Spaces' not so much maybe, but the whole picture is quite lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No harm to leave them there because by next weekend we may have to deal with the remains of Hurricane Joaquin, should be interesting according to the posters on the weather forum it could be here by the 9th Oct.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057425570&page=5

Storm 10 wrote: »
    No harm to leave them there because by next weekend we may have to deal with the remains of Hurricane Joaquin, should be interesting according to the posters on the weather forum it could be here by the 9th Oct.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057425570&page=5

High tide then is only 4.5m, so it's very unlikely an ex-tropical depression will cause any flooding. High swell and waves might cause problems in Salthill, but not at Spanish Arch.

Advertisement