Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir - who? what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Quazzie wrote: »
    Read the post you quoted. It clearly states "decent telephone service" and that's not something Eir(com) do.

which is providing a phone line for a telephone .

Or are you going on about them being an ISP as well?

Alot of the people that give out about the BB arent aware of how ASDL works and expect Eircom to build remote exchanges and the surrounding infrastructure to provide a decent BB service to a small spread out population even though they are not a registered charity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Wonder how many of that 16m went to pockets so called conSULTANS who agreed new logo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

chronic waste of money not quite as bad as spending €80 million on consultants like the toxic quango Irish Water but nonetheless shocking,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

jonnny68 wrote: »
    chronic waste of money not quite as bad as spending €80 million on consultants like the toxic quango Irish Water but nonetheless shocking,

Always someone who brings Irish Water into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

my god, the add on tv is even worse.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

jamesbere wrote: »
    Always someone who brings Irish Water into it.

Always one. Somewhere else said Eircom was the worst thing since Irish Water, failed to realise Eircom has existed for far longer. The difference is at least Irish Water have a infrastructure that provides a service for the most part successfully. And should anything happen the state is responsible for them. Eircom have free reign on a wholesale monopoly that the state gave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Apparently Ireland has the 2nd fastest internet speeds in the world, beaten only by South Korea. Who'd have guessed??
    The correct name for a Snickers.

I'm nearly 30 and it's always a snickers to me. You must be nearly dead by now if you can remember that far back 'aul lad.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Just about anyone can get a phone line,
    whether its possible to get a fast broadband connection on it in a rural
    area ,is another question .
    i forgot ,you can write off almost anything against tax if its a business expense .
    The new name is worse than eircom,
    its not like eircom is an international company .
    everyone in ireland knows what eircom is .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

eir a chance of decent broadband ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Erra lookit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Ah eir, leave it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

They obviously realised that they were no good at the communication side of things so they dropped it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Muahahaha wrote: »
    worst rebrand since marathon became snickers

Could have been worse , Mars could've been named snunderpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Let's just play it by eir!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Saw the new TV ad earlier. I really liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What an appalling waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Rebranding costs usually include things like new websites, stationery, signage, catalogue designs etc for a company with multiple business units and things to rebrand across the country I can see how it will cost a few million. Would love to see a breakdown of the 16m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Saw a few brand spanking Transits today with the new decal, they look quite nice. Word is they're all getting new vans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

What a bunch of gobshites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If they were gonna bother with this they really should've made a proper change instead of removing a few letters.

This isn't gonna stick, everyone's just gonna keep calling them Eircom because it's more or less the same.

• Advertisement

Saw the new TV ad earlier. I really liked it.

Anyone know what the music in the ad is? Tried Shazam but no luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Eir. Half the name, half the broadband, twice the price*

Ker-Ching!

*compared to just up the road in Northern Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I saw something about their forum being redesigned on the boards main page, I genuinely thought it was an Arabic airline or something, looking at the logo.

Or Malaysian or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

What a load of bollocks, should have been a fat man in front of a laptop with his lad hanging out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why do these companies constantly insist on fixing things that ain't broken? To my mind Eircom is a strong brand in people's subconscious. They have a very recognisable and contemporary logo. After a shaky start in the early 00s after TE, they are a household name and their service has steadily improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭StudentDad

This reminds me of the rebranding by RTE of RTE 2 to Network 2 and then a few years later back to RTE 2. Silliness. Expensive silliness.

Then again maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the service I get from eircom/eir will magically improve and the price will go down.

Maybe it's an attempt to make a former semi-state now private company seem appealing to a prospective buyer? Silliness.

SD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Hits954

Does anyone know if this type of rebrand negates any contract terms ? I have no contract with "eir", only with "eircom", and having been repeatedly fobbed off for about 3 years re getting proper speeds and to then see them waste €16 million on this has probably earned them the two fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Reminds me of that scene in Narcos when the two brothers go to a consultancy firm in an attempt to rejuvenate their image and the woman says of course she'll make them a new logo.... for another 50,000 dollars

16 million? They saw Eir coming a mile off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

What the hell does the 16mil get spent on.
    You get a new design, shops fitted out, New logos on stationary, a brief advertising scheme but what else.

Also, if anyone was in st Stephens green shopping centre yesterday, you may have seen a very panicked shop manager. The Eir flagship store was opening after rebranding, media was on the way and they had just realised that the EIR sign on the front of the shop (there had been a black film attached to it) had been fitted upside down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I am just waiting for boards.ie to rebrand, so I can put in my tender. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dafuq did I just watch? What kind of meaningless hipster nonsense is that and what has it to do with a telecoms company?
    I am just waiting for boards.ie to rebrand, so I can put in my tender. :D

They'll probably go with Bo (selecta!) to be down with the kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/734153/362706.jpg

We are Br.ie, because we're cheesy and generally used with crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

eir you kidding me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the logo looks like a half finished balloon model you get at kids partys

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Hits954 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this type of rebrand negates any contract terms ? I have no contract with "eir", only with "eircom", and having been repeatedly fobbed off for about 3 years re getting proper speeds and to then see them waste €16 million on this has probably earned them the two fingers.

Your contract is with the legal entity, not with the brand name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

And our cousins 20 miles outside Dublin still exist with dial-up! Crazy way to waste money when it could go on actual services!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was talking to an Eir technician this morning. People are already labeling them Eir Heads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Hits954

hairyslug wrote: »
    What the hell does the 16mil get spent on.
    You get a new design, shops fitted out, New logos on stationary, a brief advertising scheme but what else.

Also, if anyone was in st Stephens green shopping centre yesterday, you may have seen a very panicked shop manager. The Eir flagship store was opening after rebranding, media was on the way and they had just realised that the EIR sign on the front of the shop (there had been a black film attached to it) had been fitted upside down

How many vans have you ever repainted ?

I think even phones and ladders had the old logos on them - I know manhole covers used to have the TE and newer ones have eircom - someone will trip over the new squiggle, though, so they might not use it.

Ridiculous waste of money though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The logo looks like a scribble.

It looks like Arabic.

"To 'Eir' is human"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭custard gannet

I'm fairly sure I've heard it on most of the ISIS 'execution' videos. :eek::pac: The intro in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

jonnny68 wrote: »
    keith16 wrote: »
    What an appalling waste of money.

Words that would be more apt referring to the refugee crisis and child abuse.

This is a rebranding. Are you really that shocked jonnny? Are you in a dark room, knees drawn up to your chest, rocking back and forth struggling to come to terms with the shocking nature of a company launching a new logo?

Are you really appalled Keith? Aghast at the thought of a company rebranding and spending their own money on it? Have you been able to function since you heard the news?

Have you told Joe Duffy about your feelings? Vented some of that shock caused by the news?

I wish you both well on the road to recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Its still Telecom Eireann to me

Whippersnapper. It's the Department of Post Boxes and Telegraph Poles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Mr E wrote: »
    I was talking to an Eir technician this morning. People are already labeling them Eir Heads. :)

Well the CEO and managers are definitely a bunch of eir heads after this flop.

You know who they remind me of is EE in the UK. A senseless company to promote expensive prices and 4g between multiple companies eircom, emobile and Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Hits954 wrote: »
    How many vans have you ever repainted ?

7, 12, I don't know, is it a rhetorical question

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

eirmahgerd !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

gramar wrote: »
    Words that would be more apt referring to the refugee crisis and child abuse.

This is a rebranding. Are you really that shocked jonnny? Are you in a dark room, knees drawn up to your chest, rocking back and forth struggling to come to terms with the shocking nature of a company launching a new logo?

Are you really appalled Keith? Aghast at the thought of a company rebranding and spending their own money on it? Have you been able to function since you heard the news?

Have you told Joe Duffy about your feelings? Vented some of that shock caused by the news?

I wish you both well on the road to recovery.

+1

It's a private company. It's their money to spend/ invest. What exactly has some people appalled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

+1

It's a private company. It's their money to spend/ invest. What exactly has some people appalled?

I agree fully but it's still a dreadful name and logo.

Who is your broadband provider?
    It's Eir
    Don't worry the name will come to you eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jhcx wrote: »
    Well the CEO and managers are definitely a bunch of eir heads after this flop.

You know who they remind me of is EE in the UK. A senseless company to promote expensive prices and 4g between multiple companies eircom, emobile and Meteor.

EE was formed when Orange and T Mobile merged. Eir is just a new paint job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement