Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Php mysql update after insert

Options
  • 16-09-2015 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm trying to put a url of an image into a database using php.
    The url is based on the id which is a primary key that increments autmatically so is generated after insertion of the product into the database.
    So I need to be able to insert product details into the mysql database and then directly after that update the imageurl field to reflect the product id which was generated during the insert.
    So when I try to do it in code the insert happens but the update doesn't and I'm left with a blank image url field.
    The versions of php and mysql are
    PHP version: 5.4.25
    MySQL version: 5.6.13
    I can show you some of the code so maybe some of you may know what I'm doing wrong.
    <?php 
    // Parse the form data and add inventory item to the system
    if (isset($_POST['product_name'])) {

$product_name = mysqli_real_escape_string($connection,$_POST['product_name']);
    	$price = mysqli_real_escape_string($connection,$_POST['price']);
    	$category = mysqli_real_escape_string($connection,$_POST['category']);
    	$subcategory = mysqli_real_escape_string($connection,$_POST['subcategory']);
    	$details = mysqli_real_escape_string($connection,$_POST['details']);
    	// See if that product name is an identical match to another product in the system
    	$sql = mysqli_query($connection,"SELECT id FROM products WHERE product_name='$product_name' LIMIT 1");
    	$productMatch = mysqli_num_rows($sql); // count the output amount
            if ($productMatch > 0) {
                echo 'Sorry you tried to place a duplicate "Product Name" into the system, <a href="inventory_list.php">click here</a>';
                exit();
    	}
    	// Add this product into the database now
    	$sql = mysqli_query($connection,"INSERT INTO products (product_name, price, details, category, subcategory, date_added) 
            VALUES('$product_name','$price','$details','$category','$subcategory',now());") or die (mysql_error());
            $pid = mysqli_insert_id($connection);
    	// Place image in the folder 
    	$newname = "$pid.jpg";
    	move_uploaded_file( $_FILES['fileField']['tmp_name'], "../inventory_images/$newname");
            $sql = mysqli_query($connection,"UPDATE PRODUCTS SET picurl1='inventory_images/$pid.jpg' WHERE id='$pid';"); 
    	header("location: inventory_list.php"); 
            exit();
    }
    ?>

The second Update Products sql statement is not working no matter what I try.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

First off, try sticking some debugging statements in there to see exactly what the code is doing - try to echo $pid to log or even to the screen just for this purpose, make sure you're getting something back.

Also, maybe try replacing the INSERT block. Try this instead.
    if(!(mysqli_query($connection,"INSERT INTO products (product_name, price, details, category, subcategory, date_added)  VALUES('$product_name','$price','$details','$category','$subcategory',now())")) {
        die (mysql_error());
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Nope that didn't work either thanks for trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Is the call to move_uploaded_file working? Check your error logs, script might be falling before getting to the update statement.

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

I'd suggest you construct the update statement into a variable and, taking example from seamus' suggestion, echo that to the log before trying to execute it from the variable, just in case there is something in it that is failing or invalid that you can't see, or similar. You might find you're generating a different statement than you expect.

EDIT: another thought - mysql on unix can be case-sensitive about table names, and you have a mix of products and PRODUCTS in your insert and updates, os maybe the update is erroring in trying to update a non-existent table?

• Advertisement

Using die(mysqli_error($link)) worked and showed me the error and I figured out the problem then.
    Thanks guys for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Using die(mysqli_error($link)) worked and showed me the error and I figured out the problem then.
    Thanks guys for the help.
    Please post the solution so that others that find this thread can learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

The solution was to handle errors correctly - no error handling was being done on the UPDATE, and mysql_error was being used for error reporting on the INSERT statement, but when using mysqli one needs to use mysqli_error instead.

If OP comes back I'm sure the failure was due to some silly SQL mistake such as using incorrect column names or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Most likely the field that was being updated in the database table didn't exist.

Given the code example it seemed a pointless exercise to update the database record. If the file name of the image is the identity of the product record why do you need to store it in the database?

ID = 1 -> Image name is "1.jpg"

There's no need for two fields to record the identity of the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Talisman wrote: »
    Most likely the field that was being updated in the database table didn't exist.

Given the code example it seemed a pointless exercise to update the database record. If the file name of the image is the identity of the product record why do you need to store it in the database?

ID = 1 -> Image name is "1.jpg"

There's no need for two fields to record the identity of the record.
    You're kind of tied then to the ID. If you want to move or rename your image files later on, you only need to update the database to point at the correct one. Otherwise you'd have to rewrite your application to break the link between the ID and the file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

seamus wrote: »
    You're kind of tied then to the ID. If you want to move or rename your image files later on, you only need to update the database to point at the correct one. Otherwise you'd have to rewrite your application to break the link between the ID and the file.
    That language is a bit extreme. It's a relatively straight forward process to add a field to the database table and an additional parameter to the relevant queries and templates. I'd like to point out that the OP was also hardcoding the folder path into the update query so moving the files later was not a primary concern.

A more forward thinking solution would have been to generate a unique file name before the database insert and use it for the image upload, this pattern would have eliminated the need for the update query. Using the ID for the filename made little sense.

For example, if you wanted to replace the image on the server you would need to check the database to find the product first.

The first database query in the provided code sample tells us that the product name is unique (e.g. 'Blue Shoes'), so if you slugify the product name you get a unique filename for the image (e.g. 'blue-shoes.jpg'). The file name on the server would be easily recognisable and also provide some SEO benefit if that was a potential future requirement.

Advertisement