Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stook 10 Mile - 22nd November, Gowran, Kilkenny.

Options
  • 16-09-2015 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi all,

Stook 10 Mile and 5K Dash is back for 2015. Pretty much the same deal as last year - we have some new things in the pipeline. Sadly we have lost Blockic - who has gone to seek his fortune elsewhere. Mind you he has been threatening a guest visit.....

Want more info?

New website is here www.stook10.ie ( itself an homage to board's feedback).

Last years thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92097977

cut to the chase registration link here

If i can be of any help let me know. I think it's a good race - worth a try.

Simon

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks to the kind locals, members of Gowran AC and Young Irelands GAA club there will be tea and an assortment of sandwiches and cakes provided in Dungarvan Hall immediately after the race. We kindly thank the above volunteers for giving their time and effort to make this possible.

What sort of cake will there be?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

adrian522 wrote: »

That's currently with "the mammies" - but word has it they are scaling production of those apple pie / tart things that were popular last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

On a more serious note I'm thinking about this if I can get some decent training in between now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

ASIMON0V wrote: »
    I think it's a good race -

Simon
    Its a fookin deadly race..see u there

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Super race but 1 week before San Seb marathon means I'll probably skip it - anybody considering it go for it - highly recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I signed up for this last year, then pulled my calf muscle a few weeks before and was only back running short distances by Stook time so had to switch to the 5k (which I didn't 'dash' -- I slowly jogged it with my friend and her whippet). Anyway, the whole day was great! our husbands did the 10-mile and loved it, we 5k-ers, and dog, got our little cowbells and used them to ring in all the ten-mile runners, the cakes were fantastic, and the special cake and drinks table for kids was a great idea.

I've signed up for the 10-mile this year, so fingers crossed I stay in one piece for the next 2 months! Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »

someone said cake??

mm a 10 miler, was injured for trim & brian boro so might give this a shot..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hope to be there. As ultraman says its a deadly event. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Definitely be back this year. Great fun race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Just signed up for this and really looking forward to earning my cowbell. There are cowbells! Cowbells!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Great race, always enjoy the flying mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Do many people injure themselves on the flying mile? I can see people falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I didnt see any falls last year. I didnt feel in any danger of it either which surprised me since I had no control over anything :pac:

Hi - No injuries to date - flying mile is not literal :-) it's a long, straight, steady descent, if it was too steep it would be less quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Great event. Will be my 4th year running it. My favourite race of the year bar none. It ranks up there along the other "for runners, by runners" type races that are spoken of on this site.

The "Flying Mile" is great if , like me, you cannot run too quickly but would like to experience what it would be like to be Gary O'Hanlon quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

Hi all,

Stook 10 Mile and 5K Dash is back for 2015.

Want more info?

This is also the Kilkenny 10mile county championship race , so Kilkenny people make sure to enter your club when you sign up , individual and teams score ,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What colour are the bells this year?

Cabaal wrote: »
    What colour are the bells this year?

Now that would be telling - it's somewhat of a new departure! They are on their way - will photograph them and post here when they arrive. :)

Not working the day this is on!
    I'm running it for the third time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Please enlighten me.

Why is it called 'Stook'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

echancrure wrote: »
    Please enlighten me.

Why is it called 'Stook'?

It's the name of the "little" hill that gives the race it's unique character echancrure!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Entered.

Then I looked at the course profile, wtf?!! :D

Looking forward to getting back into it

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Entered too... looks like fun.

Quick update on Stook - so our race entries are good so far - up 41% (to be precise) on the same time last year. There is a heavy south-east bias - so lot's of Kilkenny runners, and after that Waterford, Wexford, Dublin and Carlow all well represented.

We're marking the course this weekend (after running our senior XC) - so i'll grab a flying mile video to post after. Cowbells are in, currently trying to sort out the Rave for the Brave on the hill, and encouraging the bakers of the parish to be ready for all that next week will bring.

busy times at stook central.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Quick update on Stook - so our race entries are good so far - up 41% (to be precise) on the same time last year. There is a heavy south-east bias - so lot's of Kilkenny runners, and after that Waterford, Wexford, Dublin and Carlow all well represented.

We're marking the course this weekend (after running our senior XC) - so i'll grab a flying mile video to post after. Cowbells are in, currently trying to sort out the Rave for the Brave on the hill, and encouraging the bakers of the parish to be ready for all that next week will bring.

busy times at stook central.

Tasted the nicest brack I ever tasted at this event and I have tasted a lot of brack. It was even baked that morning as it was warm. Krusty grabbed a slice so I only managed two slices before It was gone. So on that count me in....

Are we to collect numbers @ the village hall??

Ps, I'm dreading this race :D

Gavlor wrote: »
    Are we to collect numbers @ the village hall??

Ps, I'm dreading this race :D

Yes - anytime from 10:30 onwards.

Repeat after me - "at least I'm not running inter clubs XC"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Toying with the idea of heading down on Sunday, just to motivate myself to get some kind of speed-stuff done, but may have to motorbike it down. Anyone heading down who might have a bit of space in their car, where I can stash some bike stuff during the race?

Toying with the idea of heading down on Sunday, just to motivate myself to get some kind of speed-stuff done, but may have to motorbike it down. Anyone heading down who might have a bit of space in their car, where I can stash some bike stuff during the race?

No prob, I'll pm you my number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

ran last year.its a cracking quirky race.very tough gradual uphill

then a mad descent downhill and good spread afterwards.

cannot recall showers available after,but stand to be corrected on that point?

Advertisement