Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stook 10 Mile - 22nd November, Gowran, Kilkenny.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm really looking forward to it. (And having already signed up for it saved me from the interclubs :-) (In which I would have been just making up numbers and been lapped, and lapped!)).

What's the route like before The Hill? Is it flat, or what I call 'country flat' (ie undulating)?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

country flat is the right description before the main hill which starts around 6 miles from memory.

I recall the "not too far to the top" cheers of support even if they were

not quite telling the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Country flat my hole!!

I have nothing good to say about this race other than it being brilliantly organised, very well marshalled and a great spread afterwards.

What kind of a crazy race has an 8.30 mile followed by a 5.30 mile??

To summarise, great event but it's a monster that will call your bluff if you aren't fit!

Well done Gowran AC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

+1 to that Gavlor, fantastic race, so well organised, well stewarded and the crowds at the start line were fantastic, crazy hard,, sooooo mannnny hillllls but that flying mile was the most fun I've ever had in a race :D well done Gowan AC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

A great race, well done to all involved. Has to be one of the best 2 mile finishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭tiegan

Yup, undulating was an understatement, but great sense of satisfaction having conquered that monster of a hill. Well done Stook, well run, well marshalled - no complaints here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Stook is on my calendar from now on, probably for ever.

Challenging country race, with a twist, as it should be.

Cow **** in places (I am exaggerating it was mud from the fields, nothing bad), moss in the middle of the road, country hall and most importantly: smiles all around.

I am even under selling this race: there are three twists.

1: The never ending hill (not quite) is great training and good tactics training.
    2: The flying mile, from 8 to 9, is a great opportunity (thankfully no cow ****, no moss, nor gravel there, but be careful : +5!!)
    3: The cow bell: the most useful medal ever (dinner !!!)

(and 4th the genuineness of the people)

Met bahanaman who looked like fantastic.

So well done Gowran AC: book me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Just echo some of the previous - Great race this.
    Very well managed, right from car parking to the stewarts to the food afterwards which was more than ample.
    Lovely atmosphere in the village. Great community spirit.
    Yes a challenging course but a very enjoyable route all the same

Well done all those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

+1 to all of the above positive comments A most enjoyable run. The view from the top of Stook is amazing and well worth struggling up the hill to see. Ran the first two miles with VR ( we just chatted away) and the last two with HelenAnne ( who came galloping down the hill past me). All very friendly. Well done to Bahanaman and KC who have both clearly recovered from their exploits in Frankfurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hego

A great race, I really enjoyed it, well done to all the organisers at Stook! It has all the components of a good race, a challenging and interesting course, well marshalled, great support, and a fine spread afterwards. Oh and a cowbell too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I've put some photos from the Flying Mile here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/albums/72157659199489893

I have loads more to go through tonight so check back tomorrow if you don't spot yourself in this bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

eoinín wrote: »

I have loads more to go through tonight so check back tomorrow if you don't spot yourself in this bunch.
    Haha.. Nice one. Funny to see Abhainn's singlet looming over my shoulder! Shame about the trails of saliva clinging to my cheeks - photogenic, I ain't!

What a brilliant race. The only way it could be improved, is if they moved it closer to Dublin (South county Dublin to be specific - somewhere between Shankill and Bray). Failing that, if they could warn us about the Garda speed-checks on the M7 and the Gatso van on the way home. Other than that? Perfect.

I once privately questioned the timing of this race, coming just 3 weeks after the biggest national marathon, but it's perfectly placed for a really good blast, to get you back into the swing of things. Pity some of the big hitters couldn't make the start line due to unexpected injuries, but sure we all moved up a couple of spots accordingly. Love the friendly vibe - love the start-line - loe the fact that everyone in the village is out cheering you on - tolerate the hill - love the down-hill. The cow-bells, sandwiches and cakes are a worthy reward for your efforts. Brilliant stuff once again, by Gowran AC.

Pity some of the big hitters couldn't make the start line due to unexpected injuries, but sure we all moved up a couple of spots accordingly.

I was MUCH further up the women's field than I would have been last year. Last year the female winner would have been over ten minutes ahead of me, this year the first female was about 3 minutes ahead -- I wondered if a lot of the faster women were running the interclubs?

Thanks again, Gowran AC. I really loved it and was delighted to be able to do it -- I'd signed up for it last year, but in the end had to jog the 5k instead as I'd injured my calf. Earning my 10-mile cowbell this year was great.

I loved the course -- wasn't bothered by the hills until that drag before we turned right up the narrow road to the Stook; I just seemed to lose momentum there. Passing people as I went up the steeper hill gave me my mojo back though and I didn't mind the steep hill too much.

Sharkey says I galloped past him -- he kindly refrained from mentioning that he passed me again once we were back on the flat and beat me to the finish.

What a brilliant race. The only way it could be improved, is if they moved it closer to Dublin (South county Dublin to be specific - somewhere between Shankill and Bray). Failing that, if they could warn us about the Garda speed-checks on the M7 and the Gatso van on the way home. Other than that? Perfect.

Also, I would vote against moving it to Dublin -- it gave me and Eoinín (husband and photographer) and our friends and their dog an excuse for a weekend in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Thanks for kind feedback lads. So pleased you enjoyed it.

I thought I'd do a quick race report from the other side of the fence.

This was our fourth year of Stook and we had hoped that following good weather and positive feedback from 2014, we'd be in a position to build on our numbers. For the first three years we've had about 300 runners on the start line, with about 330 registering - every year you get about 10% who register and then can't make it. It's of no benefit to us, because there is no cost associated with someone running, so we'd prefer if people would actually turn up! You have to reach critical mass to get the right buzz.

Our aim is to build a unique, slightly idiosyncratic club run race, that is run like a community - we know that Stook does not appeal to everyone, but we like to think, that if you get it, you really get it. We love to welcome runners back.

So in the weeks coming up to the race, we could see that online registrations were tracking well, we had built a new website and it looked from the analytics that numbers were good - lots of new visitors, low bounces and lots of time on the site. Because I was running Frankfurt I was probably a little less focused than normal, but because the same core team run the event so well each year, i realised i am not as important as I thought.

We closed registrations on the Friday with more people pre-registered than had run the year before; this was a massive boost. It was great to go into the day knowing you had enough for a viable race - normally around 100 people register on the morning and we are able to handle that. Last year, we had cut our catering tight, and almost ran out, so lots of effort into getting the community and the two clubs behind us to bake more cakes and fill more sandwiches. I think 500 is the upper limit of what we could handle and still deliver the same buzz.

The Friday evening before the race is setting up the hall; getting chip and number packs sorted, we pick up the sound system for the rave on the hill, drive the course to make sure all is ok, bringing and cleaning any old signage, and get new signage dropped out - and ensuring the mile pre-markers are out in place, preliminary signage is up and we have everything we need for the weekend. Saturday is a mental day of preparation then; we do all of the goodie bags, computer are set up, participant lists downloaded and formatted, and we are always looking to try and see if we can improve efficiency on the day. We also had to pick up winners flower bouquets. The day just zips by.

This year we introduced a photo-wall backdrop that people could get their photos taken against and also a local cabinet maker made us a podium for the winners. The photo wall had to be framed and assembled, a few locals call into pick up their numbers and we wrap up at around 7pm.

On the morning of the race, we have a running order sheet that has all of our tasks laid out in a minute-by-minute format from 8:00am. As even age nationals XC are on, I drop my daughter with her coach to make their way to Santry. She has run three times there and I've never seen her because of the clash. So I was late down at 9:00, all volunteers arrive, and total timing are in doing the start of the 10 mile and the two finish lines - at this stage the course is set up. We drop the sound system to the top of the hill and spend an inordinate of time plugging in phono cables and din plugs until it kicks into life. By the time I get down from there, registration is in full swing, and my heart rate is z4. There is a certain amount of being a busy fool, but mostly meeting and greeting people and trouble shooting registrations - and the minutes tick by...soon enough its 10 minutes to go and its almost time for action.

In the weeks proceeding both Gary O'Hanlon and Philip Harty had confirmed they were going to race; sadly, our date clash with the interclubs means we lose a big strata of good club runners - say in the 55 - 57 minute range. On Saturday, I got a call to say that Gary was out, and on Sunday morning I got a message from Philip to say he couldn't make it. As I had seen Krusty's and Abhainn's name on the entry lists, and bumped into them with Slogger Jogger as they made their way to pick up. I figured with the two quickest lads out, the boys might have a chance. I get the word from registration, we got another hundred on the day; total registration up 70 people so about 25% up on last year. success.

So we head to the start line with 5 min to go, people are still registering - but we fast track them through - have an idea to do a racegenie service for next year! There is noticeably more people around than last year. I meet my starter, it's the only time I meet him, he has his quad and his shotgun ready to go; I have my phone, loudhailer and walkie talkie - I get the all clear to go from registration - everyone is done....I count down and boom - we are off. I shake hands with the starter knowing all going well - we'll meet again next year.

In the meantime the guys are up on the hill with the soundsystem and glow sticks, ready to cheer on the runners as the near the summit.

2jfhi0k.jpg

As the 10 milers go out, the "5kers" cheer them on and its a great buzz; then the 5kers go. The 5k is a fun run for families and kids - and it ads a great dimension to the day. It bring the community into the race. The minute the race starts, the catering team take over from the registration crew (who go to help at the finishes) - while the guys on the computers continue to input all the details from those who register on the day to hand to the timing people.

The 10 milers return to the village after a 3.5 loop, so just under 20 minutes and Danny Smith goes by, followed by Krusty and Abhainn, not far behind is a bunch of good club runners, and then some other average runners and then sharkey and village runner :-) They get a good cheer as they go through - and we get to see how the race is shaking out.

Through the race, we get updates from around the course - so we had a fair idea that the top 3 were still close together. By now the 5kers are finishing thick and fast, but a whole separate team are working away hand recording times, handing out medals, and giving drinks and buns to kids. We get an update on positions from the top of the hill, and from 1 mile away. By this stage it was clear that Danny was holding off Krusty, who in turn was keeping Abhainn at bay.

The boys cross the line, one, two and three - and after a brief panic as Danny disappears we get them back to do the prize and medal presentation, and the women's presentation too.

Womens Winners
    23hop79.jpg

Mens Winners
    zl9bat.jpg
    By now Dungarvan is filling up with happy Stook finishers, the sun is shining, cowbells are tinkling, lots of people getting their photos taken against our backdrop and you can sense the mood is positive and the day is good. The hall is rammed full of people enjoying tea, cake and sandwiches. Our guy in charge of the results pulls the category winners and as soon as is feasible I get to stand on stage and call the winners and handout envelopes to those who remain. The others get posted out. This is also a chance to thank all those who give time and effort to the race, and to all those who "get stook" and take part.

Once that is done, by 2:15, most runners leave and the caterers become cleaners. We have a huge team of volunteers, who work together to take apart everything - it takes an hour and half to take it all down and packed away or shoved in cars. By 3:30 we are all done and head to the Ouncel bar for pints and food. We are only a little club, but we take great pride in our race.

full results here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

An event to be proud of indeed. Take a bow Simon, Gowran AC and volunteers.

Hard to better the opinions offered above. Very enjoyable, social event. Always nice to see Simon, Gary and Joe. That's one half of a great Wicklow way relay team just there. Good memories.

The race is tough, but good tough. I was very happy with my run here last year. To come back and nearly knock a minute of last years times I was delighted. Whatever about the heavy hitters not turning up there is still good quality in those results.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Wicklow Way Relay...thats something we should do again. That was great craic last time I did it!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

eoinín wrote: »

All my photos are up now. Enjoy!

Sharkey47 wrote: »
    +1 to all of the above positive comments A most enjoyable run. The view from the top of Stook is amazing and well worth struggling up the hill to see. Ran the first two miles with VR ( we just chatted away) and the last two with HelenAnne ( who came galloping down the hill past me). All very friendly. Well done to Bahanaman and KC who have both clearly recovered from their exploits in Frankfurt.

:)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/86489211@N00/22597538144/in/album-72157659199489893/

Advertisement