Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheapest garage to install new front lights for Nissan ALmera

• 16-09-2015 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

My front lights are very bad, I have a 2006 Nissan Almera, I did some googling of the problema nd found a good thread on this topic on Boards. Apparently its a well known problem with the ALmera and the problem is that nissan use plastic casings for their reflectors, and the plastic casing is burnt/gone black and doesnt reflect very well anymore. ITs now dangerous for me to drive at night. SO the solution seems to be to get a new pair of headlights. My regular mechanic is quoting 330e for proper Nissan lights, I got another garage to quote 230 for what they call spurious lights, which my regular mechanic are very porr and wont last long.
    Any advice on the best solution/garage in Limerick to install them?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

What, front headlights, I just bought new clusters for my car(Mini) on eBay as breakers in Ireland and Spurious(Autozone in Eastway) just couldn't match UK seller for Original OEM parts including delivery to Parcel Motel?

Can they be cleaned? Here's a proper mobile professional who restores headlights? In fact over the past few days he's resorted 2 different cars and has pictures online. No harm asking him.

Based in Newcastlewest(ish) but travels to you.

https://www.facebook.com/mxvaleting?fref=ts

Example off eBay. The seller only has the one side in stock Drivers side but cheap as chips if you choose Parcel Motel
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nissan-Almera-Mk2-N16-2000-2006-Drivers-Side-Offside-Headlight-/331655718249?hash=item4d3838a569

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If the €230 quote includes fitting then it's not a bad price. They are showing up at €190 for the cheapest pair on micksgarage.ie.
    I'm sure you could get them cheaper on Ebay but you would then probably pay a bit more for fitting.
    Really not worth getting a set from a scrapyard as they could be just as bad as your own.
    Berty, it's the back of the dipped section that goes on these. They are a projector type light and get a bit hotter than normal headlamps....unfortunately Nissan didn't realise this and just used some sort of 'easy-melt' plastic at the back of the lamp which deteriorates and the rear of the lights melts.
    It's a very common issue with the Almera from '02.

banjobongo wrote: »
    My front lights are very bad, I have a 2006 Nissan Almera, I did some googling of the problema nd found a good thread on this topic on Boards. Apparently its a well known problem with the ALmera and the problem is that nissan use plastic casings for their reflectors, and the plastic casing is burnt/gone black and doesnt reflect very well anymore. ITs now dangerous for me to drive at night. SO the solution seems to be to get a new pair of headlights. My regular mechanic is quoting 330e for proper Nissan lights, I got another garage to quote 230 for what they call spurious lights, which my regular mechanic are very porr and wont last long.
    Any advice on the best solution/garage in Limerick to install them?
    thanks!

My brother had the same car. They were recalled because of those lights years ago. Ring Nissan Ireland and see if there is an outstanding recall on your car. You'll need the chassis number. Might be replaced for free. Might sound daft but I had a 99 car recalled in 2008 for a dodgy belt buckle. Definitely worth a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    If the €230 quote includes fitting then it's not a bad price. They are showing up at €190 for the cheapest pair on micksgarage.ie.
    I'm sure you could get them cheaper on Ebay but you would then probably pay a bit more for fitting.
    Really not worth getting a set from a scrapyard as they could be just as bad as your own.
    Berty, it's the back of the dipped section that goes on these. They are a projector type light and get a bit hotter than normal headlamps....unfortunately Nissan didn't realise this and just used some sort of 'easy-melt' plastic at the back of the lamp which deteriorates and the rear of the lights melts.
    It's a very common issue with the Almera from '02.

yes the 230 includes fitting, its with a garage called Autoworks in Ballysimon, I have never used them before. Apparently the lights they will fit are waht the call spurious, ie not the original, my usual mechanic says that they are useless and wont last long and are a waste of money, and I dont know if he is right....

The spurious lights should last for a few years at least. They would normally be pretty much on a par with the main dealer lights.
    TBH there are a lot of more serious common issues with the Almera than the lights.
    Gearboxes are notoriously weak and Timing Chains stretch regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I've just seen this thread so this recommendation may be irrelevant if you have had the job done.
    60 euro each for the lights on Micks Garage.
    O'curry St. garage for the fitting. 50 euro. I had this problem with own car.

€110 each on micks garage (except for L/H Grey surround, which is €80....although most of the irish cars have the black surround).
    €50 each for the older non-projector type, up to '02.
    The Op's car is an '06.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks all. I ended up using Autoworks in Ballysimon, unfortunately when I dropped he car in they changed the price to 250 (up from 230) but by then I just decided to go with it after spending a far few days trying to find hte best quotation for fitting the lights. They seem to have done a good job, lets see how long they last for now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My own mini lights arrived today from a UK breakers. 14 year old set of lights for the back €64, OEM would be €280plus labour to fit, spurious were €80 anyway but didn't have bulb holders.

Prices vary wherever you go but youll feel safer in the almera driving at night now.

I'm looking forward to fitting the lights myself tonight.

Advertisement