Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new fraudulent apartment spreading

Options
  • 16-09-2015 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Me and my wife have been on the look out for an apartment to rent. Last month she was browsing the internet for apartments to let in Dublin (more specifically on buyandsell website and came across a very nice apartment to rent in Harlod's cross for only 700 euro per month, plus 700 deposit. It was almost unbelievable as the apartment has really spacious rooms and all the mod cons. We contacted the owner of that apartment and he told us that he is in Czech republic at the moment and can't make it but offered us to complete the deal through UPS (a third party trusted company), I contacted UPS first to see if they are a real company and confirmed that it was. UPS then sent me the bank details of their supposedly holdings account saying that once they receives the money UPS will release the keys and contract (an agent will drop to my place to hand them to me). I sent the money (1400 euro) using urgent transfer, 10 minutes later UPS imposter Emailed me saying that their holdings account where the money was transferred to cannot be reached now and gave me another account details saying that they will send the money I just sent them back but i gotta pay extra 300 euro to "overcome new European laws regarding international money transfers". I Emailed them back requesting that the money be sent to me first before I can send it again. That's when I never heard from them again! I contacted UPS again and they said that that was an imposter and they never request money before they show me the package. I went to the guards and gave them all the details of the banks account and the Emails, they took it and said they will get back to me, it has been a month now and no calls from any detectives or anything so I suspect they won't bother with it.

Me and my wife are working class and the loss of 1400 euro may not hit us that hard. But I want to warn anyone on limited income not to fall for such rent frauds. Today she showed me a new ad done by apparently the same person (2 bedroom apartment in lesson street, found in airbnb website) but this time taking more measures to further convince the victim, such as providing a link with over 2000 positive reviews (clearly written by fake accounts he went through the effort of making). The story is the same: They are abroad and won't make the deal unless you send them the money first. Please be careful with this person. Don't want anyone else to lose money to such a criminal feeding off the poor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry you got suckered in.

It's a well-known scam, OP. I see ads like that on Gumtree all the time.
    They're quite obvious once you are aware of them; impossibly fabulous apartments, usually with bills included and boasting of superb locations, all for a pittance of a rent.

The owner is usually abroad and wants you to send the money first, but there is no apartment at the end of it.

Sorry you got scammed but at least you'll be on your guard from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Baquer

Hi Fussyonion

It was unfortunate that we didn't get to it fast. We were a bit in a rush to move out and our lack of experience in renting and all got the best of us. But as you said, it is a good lesson to be on guard. I hope it keeps others on their guard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Never hand over a penny until you physically step foot into the house.

In that one you are absolutely right TimeToShine. Big mistake, that's why I hope as many people read this so they don't repeat it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

Nearly fell for a similar scam when I was younger and naive. If it's too good to be true then it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Sorry to hear that OP. I think someone had a similar thread here recently with the same hook except the person claiming to let that apartment was living in London. I didn't think it was so prevalent.

Actually he did send the bank details of a london account (2 accounts, for that matter). Both reported to the guards, along with the bank account in Czech republic.

Which brings me to ask: Is there no cooperation between the guards here and London's police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Baquer wrote: »
    Actually he did send the bank details of a london account (2 accounts, for that matter). Both reported to the guards, along with the bank account in Czech republic.

Which brings me to ask: Is there no cooperation between the guards here and London's police?

There is but it would be fairly low down the priority scale I'm afraid :(

Advertisement