Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 - Optimizing performance?

Options
  • 16-09-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

I have installed Windows 10 on a machine that is only used for photo editing - Photoshop and CaptureOne - nothing else.

It is running very well.

But, I want to optimize its performance.

In System/Advanced System Settings/Performance, I have chosen Adjust for Best Performance and clicked apply. This has made a noticeable difference also.

However, clicking this box means that all the other boxes below it are unchecked, including Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts, so the fonts look a bit thin.

I don't seem to be able to have the Performance tab checked along with the fonts box, or can I?

I have three HDs in this machine and I have allocate some extra RAM from one of them also. (There is plenty of spare room on it.)

Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I would imagine the increase in performance is a the cost of the display.

RAM and hard disks are two distinct entities you cannot allocate RAM from a hard disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply. I have three drives in the machine. I allocated additional RAM from one of the drives that isn't my OS hard drive. Make sense?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I have three drives in the machine. I allocated additional RAM from one of the drives that isn't my OS hard drive. Make sense?

Thanks.

D.

So you increased the size of the pagefile???

Not the most effective way to increase performance as it will never match traditional ram for speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Ant695 wrote: »
    So you increased the size of the pagefile???

Not the most effective way to increase performance as it will never match traditional ram for speed.

Not only will it not match it, it will be around one million times slower.
    If your machine is doing heavy paging you need to look into adding more RAM.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to be clear on this paging file issue.......

I have three drives, as I've said.

There is 12186 Mbs (Initial Size/Max Size) assigned to one of those drives. It has tons of free space. But, you're saying it won't make any difference as alternative RAM anyway, correct?

Secondly, I've just looked in System Properties/Performance Options/Virtual Memory now, (which is where I did the above) and I see that 8192/8192 Mbs have been assigned to my C: drive. I have no recollection of doing this myself. Is this something Windows does? Should I zero out those values and click Apply?

Finally, there is an 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.' Does anyone use this?

Thanks again.

D.

• Advertisement

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Just to be clear on this paging file issue.......

I have three drives, as I've said.

There is 12186 Mbs (Initial Size/Max Size) assigned to one of those drives. It has tons of free space. But, you're saying it won't make any difference as alternative RAM anyway, correct?

Secondly, I've just looked in System Properties/Performance Options/Virtual Memory now, (which is where I did the above) and I see that 8192/8192 Mbs have been assigned to my C: drive. I have no recollection of doing this myself. Is this something Windows does? Should I zero out those values and click Apply?

Finally, there is an 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives.' Does anyone use this?

Thanks again.

D.

Windows will automatically assign a portion of hard drive space to a paging file. You can manually increase this which is what you appear to have done to essentially create virtual memory that is used as ram.

This however as mentioned above is virtually useless as ram compared to buying an extra stick of ram and sticking it in your machine or upgrading the current ram depending on how much you already have and how much the motherboard supports.

Thanks.

That 8192 must have been assigned by Windows then, coz it certainly wasn't me.

The current spec is Intel Core2 Extreme CPU X9650, 8.0Gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 graphics.

Could I add RAM to this?

My problem isn't huge. I'd just like fewer spinning wheels when editing large image files.

Thanks.

D.

I don't think that machine would support more than the 8gb or ram. Do you know what motherboard it has?

Cheapest soloution to help would probably be buy an ssd and do your editing on that as it should speed things up.

Thanks.

Just looked and it says;

Manufacturer: DELL Inc.

Product: 0TP412

The first character in Product is a zero, not a nought, I think.

Any use?

Thanks.

D.

Yeah max ram supported is 8gb. So if you can id scrap it and start with a new machine otherwise an ssd is about all you could do to speed it up.

• Advertisement

Think I'll try the SSD route first, as suggested to me on another thread.

What's the SSD equivalent of a Porsche? :)

Thanks.

D.

Something along the lines of a samsung evo or pro.

Ant695 wrote: »
    Something along the lines of a samsung evo or pro.

Cheers! :P

D.

Been offered one of these (the 240Gb model) for €110 incl. VAT fitted.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/team-group-dark-l3-ssd.html

The cloning of the existing drive would be an extra €75 incl. VAT.

So, €185 less the VAT.

Anyone familiar with these drives?

Thanks.

D.

Never heard of them. Also a 250gb should be about €90 and would come with cloning software so you could do it yourself.

Yes, but he's fitting it for the extra €20. :)

Cheap at the price, I would have thought.

That said, if I can a Samsung for around the same price, then I might as well. A few € either way will make no difference. The tax man is paying in the end.

Where could I buy SSD over the counter in Dublin?

I could then go to this guy for the fitting and transfer.

Thanks.

D.

Honestly you should be able to swap the drive yourself only a case of plugging it in and running the cloning software.

As for a physical store somewhere like currys or maplin but you will probably may more than say amazon for it there.

Advertisement