Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documents and Information being asked for by letting agency

Options
  • 16-09-2015 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I viewed a apartment for rent this evening and the letting agent gave me a piece of paper which says what information they require for an application to rent the property. They want the usual references but also
    Employer's reference with annual salary
    Current bank statement
    Passport copy and PPS Number

My question is this, is this normal now?This would be the 5th property i have rented and i've never been asked for the above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

ID, employers reference and PPSN are common.

Annual salary or bank statement are known of but I have never been asked for them and have never head of someone being asked for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There are quite a few threads on this but in short it's a LL market and due to no credit referencing system LLs are taking more care.

Perhaps overkill, perhaps pointless but it isn't unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

I would ask them, how they are storing your personal data, if it on computer , is it encrypted. Also ask them who has access to see such data and if they are registered with the data protection office.
    All of that is personal data, with PPS defined as sensitive data. They have to explain the reason why it is collected and what use it is for.
    You should also ask when do they delete it and how can you verify it is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I would ask them, how they are storing your personal data, if it on computer , is it encrypted. Also ask them who has access to see such data and if they are registered with the data protection office.
    All of that is personal data, with PPS defined as sensitive data. They have to explain the reason why it is collected and what use it is for.
    You should also ask when do they delete it and how can you verify it is done.

If you're not interested in any of their properties and not in a rush to find anywhere, definitely do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

PPS number is needed for registration with the PRTB. The Passport is make it easier to track you down, if you dont pay all your rent I imagine. Imagine your salary will be used to see if you can actually afford the rent(It will also make it easier for them to see if how much of a rent increase they might be able to give you need next year).

More LLs are looking for photocopies of ID and PPS numbers. I hand over the details in an envelope. Let them verify it and sealed it shut. Take it back when you move out. Irish companies are horrific at digital data protection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

That is a good idea of having it in a sealed Envelope. I agree with Newacc2015, a lot of Irish companies have no idea around Data Protection. If you see them entering in details onto a laptop or taking photos on their phone of the documents, again ask them is it encrypted. I think only if people start asking these questions, will business slowly go, oh I better do that.

Having encryption enabled now is not difficult and my view is if anyone is taking my personal data then they should make sure they know how to look after it. I have got a few funny looks and one or two business going, why are you asking that :)

Advertisement