Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pot for orchid

Options
  • 16-09-2015 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

I have started a collection of orchids. Anyone know a good outlet in Dublin that would have a selection of those specially designed pots for orchids? I will wait til flowers are over and maybe a new shoot developing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I get mine in Homebase, but Plant Life on Cork St. have them too. Don't forget to pick us some orchid compost too, the normal stuff won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭dathi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

You probably know this already,Orchids like tight spaces.
    So make sure you get a pot that matches the root size of the orchids..

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Having trouble finding right sized pots. My local Homebase do not have any but did manage to nab a discarded one in the box of boxes/pots they leave near checkouts. I got the special compost and also rescued a sad Phal reduced to 4 euro but still with decent flower, just roots a mess.

I am looking for smaller one to take two tiny orchids so I can pass on my tiny pots to my mother who is nursing a sprout brought as a 'flask' from Singapore:)

Yes I know about the roots liking to be tightly packed in a pot. Would it be an idea to have the outer pot made of glass or is that too much light to roots?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

I bought cheap plastic jugs from the likes of Tesco or discounted places and made holes in them using a soldering iron. That was the cheapest way i found to get any post i wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

repotted mine in a plastic pint glass with some holes made with a screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks... yes I can see I could do that, even a cut down drinks bottle. Just will miss the wee feet so will have to be more careful in watering. So light to the roots is a good thing or is it to allow us to keep an eye on their development that the pots are see thru? I have mine in outer ceramic pots, one is maroon so dark. Perhaps better to have lighter colour or none? I am thinking of getting some mirror tiles to line the windowsill they are on as I worry there will not be enough light going into winter. It is a west facing window but only few feet from neighbour so little direct sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Sorry I should have said that I pop the plastic pint glass into a ceramic pot as it's fairly ugly otherwise and I've a couple of stones in the end of that to keep the bottom of the pint glass raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

cobham wrote: »
    Thanks... yes I can see I could do that, even a cut down drinks bottle. Just will miss the wee feet so will have to be more careful in watering. So light to the roots is a good thing or is it to allow us to keep an eye on their development that the pots are see thru? I have mine in outer ceramic pots, one is maroon so dark. Perhaps better to have lighter colour or none? I am thinking of getting some mirror tiles to line the windowsill they are on as I worry there will not be enough light going into winter. It is a west facing window but only few feet from neighbour so little direct sun.

It is not an obligation to leave them in clear pots, but they do photosynthesis from their roots as well. In nature their roots would not be buried. When you are a beginner it is good to have visual access to check the colour, and make sure they are not too dry or overwatered (which is the most common problem).

Advertisement