Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card payments charged twice

Options
  • 16-09-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi

On the 13th of this month, I paid 46.40 for food in a pub.
    Tonight I just noticed that this exact amount came out of my account twice, can someone please explain why is that, and can I get my money back?
    I wonder how many times this happened in the past and I never noticed?!

Eileen 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

It's a temporary shadow posting to your account. Your balance is correct and the duplicate transaction will disappear before morning

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭mattcrow

No it's not, when you take the balance on the day it was originally charged, and then work your way up, the current balance works out exactly as if that payment was charged twice. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sharon

mattcrow wrote: »
    Hi

On the 13th of this month, I paid 46.40 for food in a pub.
    Tonight I just noticed that this exact amount came out of my account twice, can someone please explain why is that, and can I get my money back?
    I wonder how many times this happened in the past and I never noticed?!

Eileen 
    Hi mattcrow, 

Thanks for contacting us here on Boards. 

It sounds like this may be what we call a 'Shadow Transaction'. Shadow transactions can appear on an account if a card payment is cancelled or voided at point of sale (POS - Transaction with your debit card in store, online or over the phone) after we have authorised it. This can also occur if a retailer requests that you enter your PIN a second time. 

It can take up to five working days to correct on the system and be removed from your account. If your account is not recredited after five working days, it may be necessary to contact the retailer directly to request a refund. 

We hope this helps, and if there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know. 

Thanks,

Sharon

Advertisement