Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why a name change?

Options
  • 16-09-2015 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I cant figure out why an well established brand name as eircom could be destroyed at the cost of 16 million euros,.. is that the companies justification for the price increase earlier this year?

What does eir stand for or mean?

We know that the name eircom is eires communications company.. but eir.... ridiculous name. Means nothing.

maybe its half a na e for half the service you get... im really baffled especiallyafter looking at the new logo, is it straight of of a kids cartoon book?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

As someone said on another thread Eir.com :pac:

Edit gets you this.

16m and you didnt even get the .com

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭coolbeans

It's ****ing stupid that's what it is. I wonder would a bookmaker give me odds on them doing a rowback. It's a really bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

coolbeans wrote: »
    It's ****ing stupid that's what it is. I wonder would a bookmaker give me odds on them doing a rowback. It's a really bad name.
    You'd definitely hope they kept the receipt anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

What a terrible decision.

The person who came up with that name should be fired and whoever approved it should also be fired.

What a terrible decision.

The person who taught of that name should be fired.
    That person is already on to the next consulting job and laughing all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In Eircom's long history of bad decisions this is possibly the worst decision so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭stezie

Is it my weird imagination or does the new logo make it look like a kid is humping an inflatable horse with a pigs tail??

Gives out a good impression alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Shocking new name, if I'm right eircom came from telecom eireann, fair enough Ireland telecommunications, or eircom for short but now it just a meaningless segment of eireann! Might aswell have called yourself ire! Or go the whole hog and bring back Thatcher's Eire when she wanted to be condescending...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Horrible name.

Just goes to show how out of touch eirCON are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Totally unnecessary change. The name itself is meaningless and weak. To eir is human. 
    Who is your broadband provider?
     Eir. 
    Can't you remember?
    No, it's Eir. 
    Don't worry the name will come to you eventually.
    I said it's Eir.
    Ok forget it.

If I get a call from someone saying they are from Eir, I'll think they are hesitating.

• Advertisement

Totally unnecessary change. The name itself is meaningless and weak. To eir is human. 
     Eir. 
    Can't you remember?
    No, it's Eir. 
    I said it's Eir.
    Ok forget it.

If I get a call from someone saying they are from Eir, I'll think they are hesitating.

Oh so your looking for some Air?
    No eir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Genuinely.   Who cares?  It's a name.  Of a company.  That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Eir. 
    Can't you remember?
    No, it's Eir. 
    I said it's Eir.
    Ok forget it.

Only a matter of time when Meteor becomes eor.

If it does happen, remember I came up with it first. 

Mezcita wrote: »
    that attitude is typical of how business men and politicians in Ireland fleece you and everyone else out of your hard earned money, because you don't care.. I care about the fact that they increased everyone's bill earlier this year without justification.. only to announce a few month later that the spent €16 million... yes €16 million to cut their company name in half... this €16 million didn't just come out of thin air... we where all forcefully made to pay it... What was wrong with Eircom? What message is eir sending out. it doesn't even look right in a sentence. they haven't even giving their new name a capital letter. it looks so amateur and idiotic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

stezie wrote: »
    that attitude is typical of how business men and politicians in Ireland fleece you and everyone else out of your hard earned money, because you don't care.. I care about the fact that they increased everyone's bill earlier this year without justification.. only to announce a few month later that the spent €16 million... yes €16 million to cut their company name in half... this €16 million didn't just come out of thin air... we where all forcefully made to pay it... What was wrong with Eircom? What message is eir sending out. it doesn't even look right in a sentence. they haven't even giving their new name a capital letter. it looks so amateur and idiotic.

What does your user name mean? It doesn't even have a capital letter.

Mezcita wrote: »
    If it was I'd agree but it's not, it's €16m spend on rubbish that could have been spent bringing broadband to rural loacations.

It's €16m that could have been spent creating jobs in Ireland.

It's €16 spent redesigning the website and putting up the prices.

stezie wrote: »

What does your user name mean? It doesn't even have a capital letter.
    simple... Its a name that my niece use to call me when she started to speak.... short for Stephen.

And if thats all you got from my post that my nickname is spelt with out a capital letter, then please explain your name Mr. Magic Marker...

Advertisement