Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Parking options

Options
  • 16-09-2015 10:10pm

Hi guys

This has probably been asked before but what are the best options for parking in the city centre. I am starting a new job on South Mall soon enough and I am just trying to see what my options are. If I could rent a space on Daft for 100 quid a month should I take it??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi guys

This has probably been asked before but what are the best options for parking in the city centre. I am starting a new job on South Mall soon enough and I am just trying to see what my options are. If I could rent a space on Daft for 100 quid a month should I take it??

Thanks in advance

For 100 a month I'd jump at that. AFAIK the cheapest all day parking is 8 euro on Penrose quay. Train station might be 6 but a bit far out. Where you driving from?

mordeith wrote: »
    For 100 a month I'd jump at that. AFAIK the cheapest all day parking is 8 euro on Penrose quay. Train station might be 6 but a bit far out. Where you driving from?

I'll be driving from Cahir, Co Tipperary. Yeah it looks like renting a space will be the best option

I'll be driving from Cahir, Co Tipperary. Yeah it looks like renting a space will be the best option

A slightly daft idea might be to head to Little Island, park the car for free and get the train in. Only be remotely relevant if train price (per month) was lower than a rental space (and where that space might be)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

There are spaces down on Victoria Road in a save car park think it is around €80 maybe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

100 per month? More like 200 per month you mean.

The q parks do monthly parking rates I think, give them a call. The one on grand parade is the most expensive, their day rate is 11 euro, but less on the roof I think. St Finbarrs (5 minute walk down washington street) is 9 euro a day.

There's the city hall carpark as well, I think they also do prepay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

You could always try the Black Ash Park and Ride depending on what direction you're coming from. €5 a day, or €100 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I'd backup the train from Little Island idea. Since you'll be coming down the motorway you could pop into Little Island, free parking and get the train in, its only 8 minutes into town. Walk or sign up for the Coca Cola bikes and you'll be on South Mall in 5 mins.

CHealy wrote: »
    Walk or sign up for the Coca Cola bikes and you'll be on South Mall in 5 mins.

I forgot about that even though I use em every day myself. Bike station on the Mall, one at the train station and another a 2 minute walk from the train station

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would go for the Black Ash park and ride to be honest. If you are working in the South Mall the bus stops a couple of minutes walk away.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I would go for the Black Ash park and ride to be honest. If you are working in the South Mall the bus stops a couple of minutes walk away.

Doesn't make much sense from someone coming from Cahir though. They'd have to deal with tunnel and south link traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Gumtree normally have a few spaces to rent adverts,last one i saw was 150 per month.

Doesn't make much sense from someone coming from Cahir though. They'd have to deal with tunnel and south link traffic.

The tunnel isn't the problem - it's the interchange before it, which they'll have to negotiate anyway. South Link as far as Black Ash is fine AFAIK. Kinsale Rd roundabout usually OK too.

The tunnel isn't the problem - it's the interchange before it, which they'll have to negotiate anyway. South Link as far as Black Ash is fine AFAIK. Kinsale Rd roundabout usually OK too.

Can be bad enough in the evening, plus it's a tricky drive during rush hour if you're not used to it

Can be bad enough in the evening, plus it's a tricky drive during rush hour if you're not used to it

South Link from Black Ash to Kinsale Rd heading East is fine in the evening. If you mean the South Ring, yes bad enough these days heading to tunnel. Alternative is to go through town though which is hardly better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

CHealy wrote: »
    I'd backup the train from Little Island idea. Since you'll be coming down the motorway you could pop into Little Island, free parking and get the train in, its only 8 minutes into town. Walk or sign up for the Coca Cola bikes and you'll be on South Mall in 5 mins.

And if the OP can get the train ticket through the tax saver scheme at work then it works out very reasonable and also very handy.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    And if the OP can get the train ticket through the tax saver scheme at work then it works out very reasonable and also very handy.

Especially as the interchange coming from the east in the evening is the least busy side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Blackie Grey

Id back up parking behind the old fas building for free.2 minute walk to grand parade.Havent paid for parking in the city centre in a long time.Plenty of free options .I gave ya one find the rest yourself .

Id back up parking behind the old fas building for free.2 minute walk to grand parade.Havent paid for parking in the city centre in a long time.Plenty of free options .I gave ya one find the rest yourself .

Cheers. What time would you need to be there to get a space in the mornings?

South Link from Black Ash to Kinsale Rd heading East is fine in the evening. If you mean the South Ring, yes bad enough these days heading to tunnel. Alternative is to go through town though which is hardly better.

I have the option now of parking on Tower Street (just off Barrack Street). What would the traffic be like getting in here in the mornings?

That drive would take 50-55 mins for me usually, without traffic. What time would I have to be leaving at to be there for 8.45 am?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iane87

early!!!

• Advertisement

iane87 wrote: »
    early!!!

Haha thanks! Would half 7 do me?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iane87

Haha thanks! Would half 7 do me?

I wouldn't bank on it. City center is a nightmare to get in to in the morning. Trial and error the first few days

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd add at least 30 mins for traffic to be safe.
    You have to go right across the city at a busy time so will take around that.

Sometimes that lower glanmire road can be a nightmare, if you hit the dunkettle roundabout by 8 you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

OP, have you checked if the job might have parking as a bonus? Not saying that all do, but when I worked in town parking in the nearby car park was one of the available bonuses (and by far the most valuable one). Didn't have a car at the time, so I took the gym membership, but still :)

Advertisement