Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When should a property appear on the Property Price Register?

Options
  • 16-09-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭

This is curiosity more than anything...
    How does the price that a property sells for actually make it on to the Property Price Register? Does the solicitor provide the info or is something triggered when stamp duty is paid?

I bought a house back in April & it's on the register with the date of sale. However the house I sold still hasn't appeared after four months.

Anyone know the actual process? And how accurate can the register be in tracking prices if there is no requirement to register a sale within a short & defined period of time?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its a strange one, as there were 2 houses for sale on my mams road in April.
    Both being sold by the same person, and we bought on of them.

Ours was on the PPR before the end of April but the other still has not appeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

Same happened on my road, was actually wondering the same!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,914 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Register is typo central, sometimes I suspect deliberately. Found a house near mine sold for below market value (nearing 50% of it) with a mangled spelling of every part of the address. However, some solicitors are just crap at typing - so look for any variant to the address

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

should all properties sold appear on the register, or are there any exclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,914 ✭✭✭✭L1011

should all properties sold appear on the register, or are there any exclusions.

All residential properties sold should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Properties appear on the register after the stamp duty has been paid and filed with Revenue. There's no specific timeframe required for this, but the deeds cannot be registered until stamp duty is paid and the banks will start asking questions if they don't have the deeds within a month. But if the sale doesn't involve banks, there could theoretically be months between the date the property is sold and the time it appears on the register.

There will also be delays within Revenue or the PRSA themselves of course, as they update the register in batches. Over the summer there was a point where the register wasn't updated at all for an entire month - the office probably took a holiday.

When we bought and sold over the summer, both properties appeared on the register less than two weeks after the sale closed. By contrast a property we had been looking at previously sold on the 11th August and only appeared on the register yesterday.

All residential sales will appear on the register, eventually.

If you're looking to keep an eye on an area or specific properties, this site will let you set up email alerts based on search criteria and will send you an email as soon as the register is updated with anything that matches: http://propertypriceregisterireland.com/

Found it very useful for tracking prices when we were house hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Interesting. It seems strange that the house I sold in April still hasn't appeared almost five months later.
    There was a mortgage needed for the purchase so I presume the bank wants the deeds.
    Not my problem, I know but I've been curious about the delay as the house we bought appeared on the register quite promptly with the date of purchase listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We didn't see ours on the register for ages, then one day I used different search criteria and there it was, including several typos! The register is full of typos, incorrect towns or postcodes. Try searching for each address line separately and see what comes up, chances are you just haven't been able to find it yet.

Well would you believe it?! It's actually there after all - some eejit started the spelling of the town with a K instead of an R.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

April 73 wrote: »
    Well would you believe it?! It's actually there after all - some eejit started the spelling of the town with a K instead of an R.

That'd be your solicitor!

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    That'd be your solicitor!

Thankfully not mine - must have been my buyer's solicitor. Wouldn't exactly instill any confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Mine is there too with a mangled address which is nice as no one can find what I paid....even if I get to know everyone else's business!

Advertisement