Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Phone Screen

Options
  • 17-09-2015 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a Sony Xperia Z3, which has developed an issue with its screen. I believe this is due to heat build up which damages the display, and has been documented in various places online. Including below.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3/help/yellow-spot-screen-t3182816

I have contacted Sony who have agreed to examine the phone. All good so far.

However, a few months ago the rear glass separated from the phone (glue melted due to heat I think). I couldn't really do without the phone as I was going away, so taped on the back, and bought a replacement in a Chinese shop in town and put it on myself. Bad idea I know, I have most likely voided my warranty from Sony (by actually trying to save them hassle :rolleyes:) I work with similarly complex electronics, and did the repair in a lab in work one evening, with ESD protection, gloves, hairnet, the lot and it went fine.

Anyway, the repair involved peeling the remaining glue off the edge of the phone, and pressing in the new one. Not a difficult job, and in my opinion, the issue I now see with the screen is completely unrelated.

Am I being completely unrealistic looking for a repair given that I went at the phone myself? Do I have any recourse for the (known) issue with the screen given that I touched the phone? Is there room for some argument in these things, or can Sony just send me a PFO?

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you have voided the terms of the guarantee then Sony are entitled to decline cover, however that doesn't affect your statutory rights as a consumer. These rights are not limited by any guarantee and oblige the seller to deal with any manufacturing defects. Contact the seller and make a claim under your consumer rights. They would be entitled to examine the phone but unless the defect was caused by your DIY repair I doubt they would have grounds to dismiss your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

Thanks for the reply, that's certainly true. And I definitely think that I could argue my case in that sense.

Now, to dig out the receipt somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think you may have a difficult time arguing that your DIY job didn't exacerbate the problem.

I think you may have a difficult time arguing that your DIY job didn't exacerbate the problem.

It was a very simple job though, which is basically putting a new sticker, albeit a stickyback piece of glass on the phone. It shouldn't affect the screen really.

I suppose what I'm asking is, has anyone done similar before, and is there any consumer law that deal with this kind of thing? I may be in a better position if I left the rear cover off since both may have been caused by the same overheating issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Is the phone still over heating?

• Advertisement

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Is the phone still over heating?

Difficult to tell. It gets warm from time to time alright, and also when charging, but I rarely play games or anything that really push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

That's where difficulties could arise. If its not overheating now then they will automatically say that the screen or case was damaged. Overheating wouldn't fix itself.

Advertisement