Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC '15: Pool A General Chat [AUS/ENG/WAL/FIJ/URU]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Hooper cited. Reckon POM might be too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Michael Hooper has been [rightly] cited for his challenge on Mike Brown:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/michael-hooper-cited-for-an-alleged-act-of-foul-play-1.2379317
    Sanctions for charging range from a two-week ban at the lower end of the scale, through to five weeks if it is classed as mid-range, or 10 weeks and above if viewed as a top-end offence.

Can't believe he got away without even a yellow during the game. Oh wait, Romain Poite...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

aimee1 wrote: »
    Hooper cited. Reckon POM might be too

POM's foul play was reviewed and dealt with during the game so he'd be unlucky to be cited IMO. Jerome Garces said O'Mahony made contact with the head/neck area but to me it looked more like shoulder-to-shoulder contact (it was still an illegal no-arms charge and deserved yellow).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just realising here how significant Wales V Aus actually is.

The winner will likely get a route to the final of Scotland -> Ire/Fra/Arg

The loser will likely get a route to the final of South Africa -> New Zealand

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Neil3030 wrote: »

True but of you look at the route they had to take to get to the QF compared to all the other pools it pretty much balances out. Making it out of the pool was the difficult part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

True but of you look at the route they had to take to get to the QF compared to all the other pools it pretty much balances out. Making it out of the pool was the difficult part.

Balances out??

Suppose Wales make it to the final having finished runner up - they will have (likely faced) England (hosts), Australia, South Africa and New Zealand to get there!!

..... to then hopefully lose to Ireland :pac::pac::pac:

Balances out??

Suppose Wales make it to the final having finished runner up - they will have (likely faced) England (hosts), Australia, South Africa and New Zealand to get there!!

..... to then hopefully lose to Ireland :pac::pac::pac:

Balances out for the winner of the pool, not so much the runner up.

Also, not to jinx it, but is boards finally fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Seems to be working for me now anyway.

Two England coaches apparently being investigated for approaching match officials at half time on Saturday night. World Rugby have confirmed they're investigating it but haven't said anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Two England coaches apparently being investigated for approaching match officials at half time on Saturday night. World Rugby have confirmed they're investigating it but haven't said anything else.

Looking for a job reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Wow hadn't realised that, some reward for the runner up. :eek: Australia could loose to Wales and still make a final though I think. Wales on the other hand .... Massive game for them but if Tipuric and Warburton both play, Hooper is cited, no more injuries and everything goes right for them might have a sliver of a chance. Rather like Ireland and NZ, at some stage Wales have to overcome this loosing streak to Oz

I don't know that Hooper is a massive loss to Australia, or at least not as big a loss as Pocock would be. They work well together but personally I'd be a bigger fan of Pocock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

I don't know that Hooper is a massive loss to Australia, or at least not as big a loss as Pocock would be. They work well together but personally I'd be a bigger fan of Pocock.

does kind of tip the balance at the breakdown back towards Wales though. Australia probably wilk still win, but might be more of a contest

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

I'd say Hooper would be a very big loss to Australia.

A bit of rain in the air for the weekend and this game might be a lot closer than people think.

Looking forward to it.

Watched the Fiji game over the weekend ..... A fine match & a good result. Fiji really impressed me over the three games they played.

Watched the Fiji game over the weekend ..... A fine match & a good result. Fiji really impressed me over the three games they played.

Yeah, everyone talked about how hard it was for England, Wales and Australia being in that pool put poor old Fiji are going to finish 4th and have to qualify for the next WC when it's not beyond possibility that they could have qualified for the QFs from one of the other pools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Yeah, everyone talked about how hard it was for England, Wales and Australia being in that pool put poor old Fiji are going to finish 4th and have to qualify for the next WC when it's not beyond possibility that they could have qualified for the QFs from one of the other pools.
    Yep the Scots pool comes to mind .....

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Truest words I've seen all day. Think they were 9th in the rankings heading into this tournament? It's absurd having 4 of the 10 best teams in the world in one group. Can't be too much fun for Uruguay either - they'd at least have a dream of a win in other groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

I would be concerned if McMahon wasn't in the form he is in. He wont let the standard slip if he comes in at 7.

If Cheika choses McCalman at 8 though and shifts Pocock to 7 it tips the balance a bit alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Here's a question, and maybe it's more of a general build up topic but, if Wales hadn't messed up their rankings and got stuck in this Pool which pool would they have been in and would it have been seen as less of a Pool of Death?
    I think it was Samoa that moved ahead of them so yeah it would have been SA, Scotland, Wales but honestly you would expect Wales and SA to put the Scots away.

you know that draw took place in dec 2012, surely the draw should be made a lot closer to the tournament itself ....cause somoa have gone way down since then and wales are miles better than a tier 3 ranking, it was ridiculous that 3 such strong teams ended up in the same pool

philstar wrote: »
    you know that draw took place in dec 2012, surely the draw should be made a lot closer to the tournament itself ....cause somoa have gone way down since then and wales are miles better than a tier 3 ranking, it was ridiculous that 3 such strong teams ended up in the same pool

It was ridiculous making the draw way back then but at the same time they all knew when it was being made and Wales still played that extra match which put them way down the rankings. Although ultimately the draw should be nearer the event. I know there's logistical planning that takes a lot of time but 3 years is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Liam Williams has been passed fit for Wales for this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I have to disagree, I thought Fiji were really disappointing this tournament, they may be ranked 9th but they never really challenged any of the three teams ranked above them. they can feel unlucky but just liek any other team in the competition they shouldn't feel entitled to a Quarterfinal Place just by dint of their world ranking.

It was ridiculous making the draw way back then but at the same time they all knew when it was being made and Wales still played that extra match which put them way down the rankings. Although ultimately the draw should be nearer the event. I know there's logistical planning that takes a lot of time but 3 years is ridiculous.

apparently wales dropped out of the top 8 for one month only too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

I have to disagree, I thought Fiji were really disappointing this tournament, they may be ranked 9th but they never really challenged any of the three teams ranked above them. they can feel unlucky but just liek any other team in the competition they shouldn't feel entitled to a Quarterfinal Place just by dint of their world ranking.

Game vs Wales closer than scoreboard makes it. Fiji just lacked composure near the Welsh line and should have got a few more decisions their way. Definitely challenged Wales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Game vs Wales closer than scoreboard makes it. Fiji just lacked composure near the Welsh line and should have got a few more decisions their way. Definitely challenged Wales.

I really didn't think so, thought they were disorganized and played in fits and starts. I felt it was a shame because they certainly have the players to make a real impact, ultimately I don't think they played well enough to make it out of any of the Pools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

jesus they challenged all the teams very well , wales were lucky Nads and Matty were out , Only team that did well against them was OZ

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Meh, Wales are the only outlier in that group really in terms of being way ahead of the other third seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So maybe they would have had the draw in 2013 instead. Ireland were ranked 9th in the World in 2013, so we would have been in a group with 2 top seeds. It wouldn't change anything.

Maybe it's imperfect but Wales absolutely cannot complain. They knew when the draw was going to be done, they still organised an extra test outside the normal international window and lost it, and that's why they dropped so low. The reason they're in this group is that they like money more than they like ranking points. If they maintain their rankings in between tournaments this time then next time they'll be a lot less likely to be draw against two top sides.

I don't see with the fuss is all about. There is always going to be a group of death with roughly ten teams realistically eyeing up the quarters.

So maybe they would have had the draw in 2013 instead. Ireland were ranked 9th in the World in 2013, so we would have been in a group with 2 top seeds. It wouldn't change anything.

Maybe it's imperfect but Wales absolutely cannot complain. They knew when the draw was going to be done, they still organised an extra test outside the normal international window and lost it, and that's why they dropped so low. The reason they're in this group is that they like money more than they like ranking points. If they maintain their rankings in between tournaments this time then next time they'll be a lot less likely to be draw against two top sides.

I think you'll find England have the biggest complaints :pac:

End of the day, if you want to win the World Cup, you have to beat the best teams. Sure, you might be lucky and avoid one of the big guns, but the group you're drawn in can't be a reason for not winning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I really didn't think so, thought they were disorganized and played in fits and starts. I felt it was a shame because they certainly have the players to make a real impact, ultimately I don't think they played well enough to make it out of any of the Pools.

In my opinion Fiji suffered from the long-standing problem of refs favouring the bigger nations.
    Against Australia Fiji put on huge pressure in the first 10 minutes and I believe Fardy should have seen yellow for indiscretions at the maul, with a probable 7 points for Fiji following. That would have completely changed the game and given Fiji belief.

Losing to SA, Samoa and NZ prior to the 4th test didnt help much either

England team for Uruguay. Not surprising to see Nowell, Slade, Goode and Care make an appearance.

CQoT9FxVAAE2VA1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Hooper has one match ban so will miss the Wales game and Folau is a doubt with an ankle injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Am I the only one to think that Danny Care played a massive role in England's defeat? He was brutal, slow, indecisive.

England team for Uruguay. Not surprising to see Nowell, Slade, Goode and Care make an appearance.

CQoT9FxVAAE2VA1.jpg

who will take place kicks Owen or George ?

WarZ wrote: »
    Am I the only one to think that Danny Care played a massive role in England's defeat? He was brutal, slow, indecisive.

what match did he play in :confused:

Almost like he wasn't on the pitch at all.

Almost like he wasn't on the pitch at all.

he went missing alot alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Sorry I meant Youngs

Sorry I meant Youngs

:) yep he wasn't great , then again when their pack is going backwards its hard

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Farrell at 12. :pac:

What is the point? Why not play Slade and Joseph? It's Uruguay and Farrell is hopeless.

awec wrote: »

What is the point? Why not play Slade and Joseph? It's Uruguay and Farrell is hopeless.

Because he Daddy picked the team? :eek:

Daddy picking the team ;)

Sorry I meant Youngs

To be fair to Youngs I think he wasn't fully fit for the Australia game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is Barrit injured? Himself and Slade would work better I'd have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Is Barrit injured? Himself and Slade would work better I'd have thought

Barrit!? Absolutely not. They should be going for Ford-Slade-Joseph I'd have thought.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Barritt is brutal. Awful player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Barritt is brutal. Awful player.

Brilliant tackler and not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

duckysauce wrote: »
    :) yep he wasn't great , then again when their pack is going backwards its hard

Nick Phipps was England's best 9 on Saturday!

• Advertisement
Advertisement