Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RWC '15: Pool A General Chat [AUS/ENG/WAL/FIJ/URU]

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Allem has telegraphed every one of his offloads today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Pass was fine for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Mike Phillips, a great character and everyone loves him according to the ITV co-commentator.

That's one way of putting it.

I know Uruguay are going to be beaten by 50 odd points here but they've been much better than I thought they'd be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

I know Uruguay are going to be beaten by 50 odd points here but they've been much better than I thought they'd be.

Wales maul all day. Uruguay played all the rugby.

aimee1 wrote: »
    Wales maul all day. Uruguay played all the rugby.

Yup. Maul / scrum / lineout has been almost totally Wales.

Outside of that it's been an okay contest.

Uruguay #10 has been good.

Alan Quinlan really laying into Wales

Yup. Maul / scrum / lineout has been almost totally Wales.

Outside of that it's been an okay contest.

Uruguay #10 has been good.

Their #8 has been good.

One more maul coming up

Lydiate went off injured too. Warren must have done something really bad recently......

• Advertisement

Paul James, Saint Liam Williams, Corey Allen and Dan Lydiate all came off for non-tactical reasons...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Are Wales keeping their powder dry or are they just a very one dimensional team?

Are Wales keeping their powder dry or are they just a very one dimensional team?

Bit of both. But they looked poor today. They played like how ireland were about 3-4 weeks ago, which isnt great when you have eng and aus in the next 11 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

.ak wrote: »
    For me it should be anything worthy of a yellow that the ref has missed. I.e; tip tackles, punches thrown, cynical play to stop a try being scored etc.

A slightly shouldery clear out is not what it should be used for.
    Maybe but then you could have stoppages for ages and is that needed? Im not sure
    So Cardiff is in England now?

Why are there games in Cardiff and why are Wales allowed home advantage if the WC is in England?

It was the same in '07 when the WC was in France. Matches in Cardiff.

What's the reason for this?
    Buying votes to win bidding contest. When original big 8 nations plus few others have so much power in determining big votes in IRB/World Rugby that will always be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Lydiate went off injured too. Warren must have done something really bad recently......

Think BOD has cast a curse on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I'd say they expected Uruguay to just be wide eyed at the whole exercise and roll over for them.....so they probably has a sterner test that they would have liked. Those injuries will really stretch them. Especially with big physical contests to come V England and V Australia

cory allen's world cup is over

and wales have three front row injuries after todays game but Liam Williams injury isnt thought to be too serious

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34309231

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cory allen's world cup is over

and wales have three front row injuries after todays game but Liam Williams injury isnt thought to be too serious

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/34309231
    Wales can't seem to get through a game without losing players to injury

Do they have many options for replacement props?

I was joking a whlie ago about Gavin Henson getting a call up. A few more knocks and it could happen :)

Funnily enough I haven't seen anyone mention their extreme pre season training when talking about how many injuries they've had.

• Advertisement

Funnily enough I haven't seen anyone mention their extreme pre season training when talking about how many injuries they've had.

Have heard it mentioned on here a few times, just not in the media.

Honestly, the strength and conditioning guys really should be on top of this and there are a lot of signs when someone is over training.

Unless Gatland has ignored advice and pushed them too hard, but it seems like bad luck to me. The balance might be off a little bit, leaving players more exposed to sickness or injury, but I still think it's more misfortune than anything.

Take your pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Allen is a blow but of greater concern for Wales is the fact that their depth at prop is non-existent. An injury to Samson Lee and its hard to see much hope for Wales. Its a pity as what had the potential to be a good 3 way battle will turn into a shoot out for top spot between England and Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That's a lot of injuries with England to come on Saturday.

Wales could see themselves in a position where they have to forfeit a game.

What's Adam Jones up to?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

.ak wrote: »
    Wales could see themselves in a position where they have to forfeit a game.

What's Adam Jones up to?

Didn't he retire from international rugby in January?

Can he unretire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Didn't Jones absolutely trash Gatland in his biography? Would be fairly hilarious if he was called up.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Didn't Jones absolutely trash Gatland in his biography? Would be fairly hilarious if he was called up.

Just googled, and it seems it caused a bit of upset alright.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/adam-jones-book-inside-story-9907375

Wallabies have named their team for Fiji. Can't link to it at the moment but it seems to be their stronger side, assuming they're still going with the two teams thing. They've gone with Hooper and Pocock starting which they did against NZ when they beat them recently. Genia at SH too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

From what I understand Gatland wasn't overly fond of Jones and once he had Lee coming through as a viable option he pushed Jones out, hence Jones burning all his bridges in his book. He was also fairly scathing of Gatland on Scrum V during the 6N which is weird because Scrum V is usually a fairly fluffy easy going show.

I think the only fit Welsh outside backs with any international experience left are Hook, Morgan, and Henson. And Morgan is carrying an injury.

Liam Williams has a dead leg and is a definite worry. Cuthbert is playing like a drain and couldn't even score against a team of amateurs. Amos doesn't look like he's able for this level, and Scott Williams gifted Uruguay turnover after turnover. Warburton was completely anonymous, but they can't drop him. To be fair the team is going to be massively reshuffled for their next game, but Gatland is running out of options very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

5 days til your next game
    5 props in the squad
    Requirment to have 4 fit props for next game
    3 props injured and out for 2-6 days
    Requirement to call up replacements 48 hours before your next game.
    Whag do you do?

Also a complication is the requirement to have 3 hookers in the squad. Does anyone know which prop Wales designated as a third hooker?

• Advertisement

At least 3d-heart57-47502.gifTipuric3d-heart57-47502.gif is playing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

WALLABIES TEAM: 15. Israel Folau, 14. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13. Tevita Kuridrani, 12. Matt Giteau, 11. Rob Horne, 10. Bernard Foley, 9. Will Genia, 8. David Pocock, 7. Michael Hooper, 6. Scott Fardy, 5. Rob Simmons, 4. Kane Douglas, 3. Sekope Kepu, 2. Stephen Moore, 1. Scott Sio.

Reserves: 16. Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17. James Slipper, 18. Greg Holmes, 19. Will Skelton, 20. Dean Mumm, 21. Nick Phipps, 22. Matt Toomua, 23. Kurtley Beale.

As expected, apart from maybe Horne instead of Mitchell. Australia need their halves pairing to be on the same page, something they have struggled with so far. All 4 second rows in the 23, more of a sign of the weakness of the players in the position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

5 days til your next game
    5 props in the squad
    Requirment to have 4 fit props for next game
    3 props injured and out for 2-6 days
    Requirement to call up replacements 48 hours before your next game.
    Whag do you do?

Also a complication is the requirement to have 3 hookers in the squad. Does anyone know which prop Wales designated as a third hooker?

You can only call up replacements if the original player is out for the tournament.

None of the prop injuries appear to be tournament ending, so the possibility of having to field an injured or (at best) unfit prop is looming large for Wales.

To be fair to Gatland, he joked that he was alright after listing all the injuries and injury doubts. :)

rrpc wrote: »
    You can only call up replacements if the original player is out for the tournament.

None of the prop injuries appear to be tournament ending, so the possibility of having to field an injured or (at best) unfit prop is looming large for Wales.

To be fair to Gatland, he joked that he was alright after listing all the injuries and injury doubts. :)

If there is a knock you can replace the player but if you do they are gone for the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

If there is a knock you can replace the player but if you do they are gone for the tournament.

I thought that's what I said :confused:

Although from a different direction ;)

rrpc wrote: »
    I thought that's what I said :confused:

Although from a different direction ;)

Sorry I thought you meant that someone had to be injured badly enough to be out for the whole tournament in order to be replaced.

I was speculating on the possibility that players who are just going to miss one game (or that may miss one game but are touch and go) might have to be replaced.

Sorry I thought you meant that someone had to be injured badly enough to be out for the whole tournament in order to be replaced.

I was speculating on the possibility that players who are just going to miss one game (or that may miss one game but are touch and go) might have to be replaced.

Lee and james have calf strains
    Jarvis has rib cartilage injury

As injuries go, for props, couldnt be much worse. At a guess i would say jarvis will be replaced.

Lee and L wIlliams not getting longer gametime v uruguay is bad. Scrum V last night were discussing eng-wales and dean ryan reckoned england will win but only because of home advantage. England arent great but i think they will win by 8-12. Wales just have too much stacked against them injury wise.

They also discussed playing tipuric and warburton and dropping lydiate. The team selections will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Lee and james have calf strains
    Jarvis has rib cartilage injury

As injuries go, for props, couldnt be much worse. At a guess i would say jarvis will be replaced.

Lee and L wIlliams not getting longer gametime v uruguay is bad. Scrum V last night were discussing eng-wales and dean ryan reckoned england will win but only because of home advantage. England arent great but i think they will win by 8-12. Wales just have too much stacked against them injury wise.

They also discussed playing tipuric and warburton and dropping lydiate. The team selections will be interesting

You have to wonder have the Welsh over-trained for this?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    You have to wonder have the Welsh over-trained for this?

Can't see how it'd effect them in regards to injuries. Fair enough if they're just breaking down, but a lot of them are just unlucky contact injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/96315

Quite frankly find this ridiculous. Johnny May more or less jumps into that tackle (something he did later in the game too) and the Fijian could do very little to stop him going beyond the horizontal.

• Advertisement

What a joke.

Quite frankly find this ridiculous. Johnny May more or less jumps into that tackle (something he did later in the game too) and the Fijian could do very little to stop him going beyond the horizontal.

Wonder will carter be cited. His foot connected with the head of an argie forcing him off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

That the one that happens at 10th minute yes?

He also jumped into a tackle in the 80th minute on the Fijian line, directly before England scored their BP try...

There was an identical situation in the Japan / SA game where a player jumped into a tackle and it was referred back to the REF by the TMO. Ref looked at it and said the player jumped.

Massive inconsistency and the sort of decision that will encourage May to keep playing kangaroo rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

There was an identical situation in the Japan / SA game where a player jumped into a tackle and it was referred back to the REF by the TMO. Ref looked at it and said the player jumped.

Massive inconsistency and the sort of decision that will encourage May to keep playing kangaroo rugby.

I remember when playing schools rugby, jumping tackles was a massive no-no. Don't think I've ever seen a player penalised for it at the top level though.

Well now I've got to go and watch the life of Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Wonder will carter be cited. His foot connected with the head of an argie forcing him off the field.

No chance. Carter is running across to fill the gap beside the ruck. The pillar position I think it's called. The Argie dives for the line and his head and Carter's leg connect. Nothing to cite. Carter ends up falling over the top of the Argie. It wasn't a kick to the head.

Then again, after reading that link, anything is possible.

I remember when playing schools rugby, jumping tackles was a massive no-no. Don't think I've ever seen a player penalised for it at the top level though.

Seen it penalized a couple of times, but generally not.

• Advertisement

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    No chance. Carter is running across to fill the gap beside the ruck. The pillar position I think it's called. The Argie dives for the line and his head and Carter's leg connect. Nothing to cite. Carter ends up falling over the top of the Argie. It wasn't a kick to the head.

Then again, after reading that link, anything is possible.

No one would think Carter did that on purpose... However, in the past 12 months there's been several players who'd done the same (make accidental contact with the boot with a player's head) and have copped a ban.

The logic is even if it wasn't on purpose it's still on the player not to be reckless.

Advertisement