Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia Coffee for Waterford

Options
  • 17-09-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I see Insomnia are advertising for staff for their new cafe in Waterford.
    Anybody have any idea where this will be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Any idea where all the coffee drinkers are coming from to keep these places open 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

thomasm wrote: »
    Any idea where all the coffee drinkers are coming from to keep these places open 😄

To be honest when I heard this I thought "not another coffee shop" but sure look its gonna take an empty shopfront and bring a few jobs. Still think out of all the Costas and Insomnia and O'Brien type chains ya can't beat Galloways in town. lovely little cafe

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Shane07

Shouldnt be too long before the arrival of Starbucks either,they are expanding all over the country!At least its another unit not empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Really wish more local businesses opened up.

Who wants the same places in every single town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Heard a rumour from someone working out by Ardkeen that Starbucks were apparently going to open in one of the units beside the new Aldi out there. Not sure how credible a rumour it is. It may be that that's where Insomnia is going either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

thomasm wrote: »

If you build it they will come :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Well off the top of my head I can think of three new local coffee shops in town: Arch on George's St, Portico on Peter St/Arundel Square, and Blackfriars Coffee in... Blackfriars!

They're there, we just have to go in and give them the business!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Don't criticise Insomnia, they support Waterford already: http://www.insomnia.ie/2014/09/insomnia-the-waterford-blaa/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I am not critical of Insomnia, it just gets boring to see the exact same crud everywhere you go. There is virtually no difference between Dublin and a UK high-street. People seem to get excited when a shop like this opens in Waterford, as it in some way legitimises Waterford as a city. I have no doubt people will go there over some of the local businesses mentioned above for no reason other than its name brand.

I would encourage everyone to support local business and not go to the Insomnias and Starbucks , they are really over priced, not good for you and frankly not even that good.

How can Waterford become a university town without an Insomnia or Starbucks? No respectable undergraduate would drink coffee and use their laptop sitting with the local riff raff in a McDonalds/Supermacs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

fiachr_a wrote: »
    How can Waterford become a university town without an Insomnia or Starbucks? No respectable undergraduate would drink coffee and use their laptop sitting with the local riff raff in a McDonalds/Supermacs.

good one, touch of truth there alright where some people think the likes of starbucks et al are better than the the likes of the arch or something. I was down in starbucks drinking a weird dessert like drink, while pretending to do work on my overpriced apple device, really updating my facebook.Personally not a fan of the big coffee chains, great coffee to be had in waterford, jobs welcome and hopefully a success if sets up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Who wants the same places in every single town?

They could be local businesses in that it could be someone local who bought a franchise. It might not be but this is a possibility. If you had a Starbucks in town I would say you would have a licence to print money if you were the only one. However they spread like Cancer as soon as the first one opens in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is this a dedicated Insomnia, or is it going into one of the Spars as a sort of concession as has been happening elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is this a dedicated Insomnia, or is it going into one of the Spars as a sort of concession as has been happening elsewhere?

It's a 40 seat cafe ya will be shocked when ya here where it's going into!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

. If you had a Starbucks in town I would say you would have a licence to print money if you were the only one. However they spread like Cancer as soon as the first one opens in my experience.

You could have used a more tactful metaphor. And it is, after all, only coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

alphapa wrote: »

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Where the Old Stand Bar was is my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's going into Penneys.

No, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The Cathedral?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

Upstairs in The Book Centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭alphapa

JPA wrote: »
    It's going into Penneys.

No, really.

ðŸ‘ðŸ‘👠yup

You could have used a more tactful metaphor. And it is, after all, only coffee.

Starbucks in some locations is exactly that. The Simpsons did a skit on it and it was barely an exageration.I have no problem with it in principle but in many places they have totally blighted the urban environment. I would like to see one or two in Waterford but that is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRz3vfRFfs4

Starbucks in some locations is exactly that. The Simpsons did a skit on it and it was barely an exageration.I have no problem with it in principle but in many places they have totally blighted the urban environment. I would like to see one or two in Waterford but that is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRz3vfRFfs4

How many do you think they would put in Waterford? We'd be lucky to get one ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

chicken ranch?

O Riain wrote: »
    How many do you think they would put in Waterford? We'd be lucky to get one ffs!

That's my point. They rarely if ever do just one. They start off with just one but seriously they spread like the plague and not just in big cities. If there was one in town and one in Ardkeen yeah I could live with it. But if it was a case of Starbucks on ever corner like I have seen in some towns in Surry then no thanks. Blanchardstown had five at one stage all within five mins walk of each other. There is over a dozen in Dublin more or less between St Stephens green and Parnell St. As someone alluded to if this is what we are relying on to put us on the map then its shows a severe lack of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i really wish these chains would go away. im not a coffee drinker but i hate franchises. a sign of big business dominance and control of local economies. id rather support a local coffee shop if i was into this sort of thing. the profits of local businesses have a better chance of staying local rather than with these big companies.

O Riain wrote: »
    Starbucks usually put two together in the same street across the road from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Starbucks usually put two together in the same street across the road from each other.

Where have they done that???

They don't do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement