Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insomnia Coffee for Waterford

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Baby4 wrote: »
    While your sentiment is a nice one, if you take Waterford as an example, Costa Coffee are the only coffee shop open late in the evenings. If I fancy coffee & a cake at say 7.30pm - they're the only show in town.

As much as I love to support local businesses, sometimes the local coffee shop doesn't provide the same type of convenience/availability as the multiples....

Sad but true.

Same Sentiment applies Sunday Mornings (and to some degree all of Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭iseegirls

This post has been deleted.

There's not enough demand for it though, apart from say the Friday evening when a few of the big shops are open. Can't leave a shop open for 3 to 4 hours after normal closing time of 5/6 if there isn't enough people around. It all adds up with wages, heat, electricity etc... that it would be impossible to make a profit from if you were a local coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This post has been deleted.

i understand where your coming from alright. ive recently discovered an economic model called public banking. i wont go into it as its not the thread but local businesses play a vital role in this model. im convinced this is where ireland needs to go, urgently. your predicament is a common one though and i can understand that. im just worried about the path ireland is on.
    iseegirls wrote: »
    There's not enough demand for it though, apart from say the Friday evening when a few of the big shops are open. Can't leave a shop open for 3 to 4 hours after normal closing time of 5/6 if there isn't enough people around. It all adds up with wages, heat, electricity etc... that it would be impossible to make a profit from if you were a local coffee shop.

unfortunately local bushiness simple cannot absorb loses from opening for long outside peak times. i really do feel for local businesses at the moment. they simple cannot compete against large chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Where have they done that???
    Only place I can think of is the two on Westmoreland Street in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Jambo wrote: »
    Same Sentiment applies Sunday Mornings (and to some degree all of Sunday).

Blackfriars coffee open Sunday mornings and are a local business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

smalltalk wrote: »
    Blackfriars coffee open Sunday mornings and are a local business.

REALLY good coffee there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

AdMMM wrote: »
    Only place I can think of is the two on Westmoreland Street in Dublin?

Within 3 minutes walk of above, you have 2 on O'Connell St, one each on Henry St, North Earl St, Ilac Centre, Liffey St, College Green and Temple bar. Keep walking a few minutes more and you've countless others. They really have established critical mass in Dublin now...not sure how any more can profit.

I think it's nice to have choice so one or two Starbucks in an urban area is fine but overdosing an area just takes the appeal away from the place.

No one seems to give out about Insomnia which is everywhere in Dublin also, standalone and within Spar shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

When you buy coffee in Starbucks and to a lesser extent Insomnia you are helping board members and the CEO buy holidays homes.

When you buy local, you are investing the local community helping someone put food on the table and buy a school uniform or a sports jersey for their kids.

There is a big difference where the profits are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Lads I got coffee in Portico opposite next to sportsavers on Saturday. Best coffee I have had in town in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

dzilla wrote: »
    Lads I got coffee in Portico opposite next to sportsavers on Saturday. Best coffee I have had in town in a long time.

Have not been there in a while, but i found it really good or bad depending on who was making it at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

So where is the insomnia place going?

inside penneys somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Inside pennys overpriced coffee, and overpriced clothes all under the one roof...

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Inside pennys overpriced coffee, and overpriced clothes all under the one roof...

If you think Penneys is overpriced, I'd hate to see what you think of prices in stores like Hilfiger and Fitzgeralds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Hoffmans wrote: »

Classic, not a clue what he is talking about,,, Penneys keeping four year olds in work for generations....:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

Forget about all these franchise coffee's. If you want to support local you wont go too wrong with Arch Coffee next to Georges Court.

https://archcoffee.wordpress.com/

Great coffee which differs weekly and two lads that know what they're talking about. Great place for a quick coffe and a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Forget about all these franchise coffee's. If you want to support local you wont go too wrong with Arch Coffee next to Georges Court.

https://archcoffee.wordpress.com/

Great coffee which differs weekly and two lads that know what they're talking about. Great place for a quick coffe and a chat.

One of those places I pop into everytime Im home. Great coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Speaking of coffee and I know this is a bit random but has anyone ever noticed the really tall guy who seems to always, as in seven days a week, be sat on the outside of Costa Coffee watching the world go by. I see him Monday to Friday sitting there sometimes on his own sometimes with others just chilling! Sorry for the diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

A coffee shop in Pennies is a great idea as just think about it ?.

All these lads who get dragged into the place by there girlfriends / wifes / whatever now have somewhere to go while there in store.

Well done Pennies on seeing a opening in a market there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Speaking of coffee and I know this is a bit random but has anyone ever noticed the really tall guy who seems to always, as in seven days a week, be sat on the outside of Costa Coffee watching the world go by. I see him Monday to Friday sitting there sometimes on his own sometimes with others just chilling! Sorry for the diversion.

Ya hes real tall and skinny . I know the lad your're on about. Usually wears sunglasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

A coffee shop in Pennies is a great idea as just think about it ?.

All these lads who get dragged into the place by there girlfriends / wifes / whatever now have somewhere to go while there in store.

Well done Pennies on seeing a opening in a market there.

A couch would have done me :pac:

deadybai wrote: »
    A couch would have done me :pac:

And a TV with sky sports news on a Saturday

A bookies would have been a good idea.

I know off topic but whenever brought to Mahon point you always see the lads at the sky stand on the centre of the ground floor outside the opticians, often wondered why a bookies never opened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

A bookies would have been a good idea.

I know off topic but whenever brought to Mahon point you always see the lads at the sky stand on the centre of the ground floor outside the opticians, often wondered why a bookies never opened there.

Probably more than enough bookies, in the country.

The fact you can log into Paddy Power on your phone really cuts down the need for actual establishments to go in and place bets.

Probably more than enough bookies, in the country.

The fact you can log into Paddy Power on your phone really cuts down the need for actual establishments to go in and place bets.

Not really, they will keep opening them, its a booming market on and offline.

Advertisement