Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Livery

Options
  • 17-09-2015 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all

Just to see what people are paying for grass livery in the Dublin/ Wicklow area?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

in north county dublin was paying 35 euro for rough grazing plus use of arena, small xc etc

in west wicklow cheapest i could get was 40. but was brilliant yard with great arena

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ChillyHilly

€85 a week. Great facilities though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tammi

€85 a week. Great facilities though.

€85 per week for grass????

Tammi wrote: »
    €85 per week for grass????

Expensive, I know! Its perfect in terms of location, facilities and care though. I had thought that grass livery in south Dublin was nearly impossible to find so I'm happy enough. I'd be interested to know what others are paying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PonyMum

Expensive, I know! Its perfect in terms of location, facilities and care though. I had thought that grass livery in south Dublin was nearly impossible to find so I'm happy enough. I'd be interested to know what others are paying :-)

ChillyHilly do you mind me asking where you have your horse on livery and what the facilities are? It does seem to be difficult to find grass livery with decent facilities so would love to know if there is somewhere! 😊 Or PM me if you prefer - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Very expensive.. Where is it if you don't mind me asking? I pay 5 more and get full livery in South Dublin in an excellent yard with fab care and fab facilities...

I'm a bit shocked at that price!

PonyMum wrote: »
    ChillyHilly do you mind me asking where you have your horse on livery and what the facilities are? It does seem to be difficult to find grass livery with decent facilities so would love to know if there is somewhere! 😊 Or PM me if you prefer - thanks!

PM sent :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Tammi

PM sent :-)

PM me too as I would be interested to know what facilities are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Around €40 a week if you need facilities and horses cared for. Less if you just need a field. I was able to put my horse out for a holiday for €30 a week in a large stud railed paddock with just 2 other horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Yikes! €85 seems very pricey? I'm similar to Kamili - paying 15 more per week and full livery with indoor and outdoor arenas in S.Dublin!

• Advertisement

Oh dear, maybe I'm paying over the odds?! I know I could get get full livery for only a bit extra a week but horse really prefers to live out so I guess that comes at a premium so close to the city :-)

Oh dear, maybe I'm paying over the odds?! I know I could get get full livery for only a bit extra a week but horse really prefers to live out so I guess that comes at a premium so close to the city :-)

There's a yard in Wicklow that does it for €40 a week €85 seems extortionate to me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

If its close to dublin and has good facilities i can understand it commanding 85. I would prefer to have mine living out too.

fits wrote: »
    If its close to dublin and has good facilities i can understand it commanding 85. I would prefer to have mine living out too.

I think it really depends how much full livery is there. There are places where full livery is c.150-185 per week so in that case 85 would be around the ballpark (though IMO still too much). But for places that charge 100-125 p/w or less I wouldn't expect to be paying more than 40-60 p/w. For the most part it should be a case of 'get what you pay for' (though this doesn't always happen!)

I know of a few places in South Dublin that do grass for cheaper and do have facilities too. But again it is a question of are you getting what you pay for.

I know my full livery price is rare in South Dublin and mine go out every day and come in at night. But I get good care so I am happy.

End of the day if you are happy with what you have and you know your horse is cared for and you have access to the facilities then don't worry about what others pay. Sometimes Its not worth moving just for the sake of it!

Kamili wrote: »
    I know of a few places in South Dublin that do grass for cheaper and do have facilities too. But again it is a question of are you getting what you pay for.

I know my full livery price is rare in South Dublin and mine go out every day and come in at night. But I get good care so I am happy.

End of the day if you are happy with what you have and you know your horse is cared for and you have access to the facilities then don't worry about what others pay. Sometimes Its not worth moving just for the sake of it!

Exactly - there's grass livery where your horse is chucked out with about 20 other horses, no checking going on and very poor access to grass, and there's top of the range small group turnout in stud railed paddocks with well-managed fields. Totally different :) Same with full livery (though I do think yours is exceptional value from what I hear!)

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Exactly - there's grass livery where your horse is chucked out with about 20 other horses, no checking going on and very poor access to grass, and there's top of the range small group turnout in stud railed paddocks with well-managed fields. Totally different :) Same with full livery (though I do think yours is exceptional value from what I hear!)

That's the thing, the devil you know and all that :)

I think I am very lucky with my livery, and have been through a lot of awful places to get to where I am, and I am still shocked at the price!

Interesting to hear everyone's views. I suppose at the end of the day, its ticking all the boxes so I'm happy to pay for it. I should mention that's it's a 'full' grass livery in that they organise farrier, worming etc and they also looked after him very well when I was on holidays for nothing extra.

I am looking forward to moving out of Dublin in the next few years though to somewhere where land isn't at such a premium!

I'm gonna win the lotto one of these days and buy myself a bit of land with a house and stables on it!

I'm deffo gonna add that yard to my list if I ever need to move I think, its a great location and the grass option seems good, even if it is pricey.

Stick with what you know, provided you are happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yeah in the end you could move to a cheap yard 10 km further away and lose half an hour every day driving and not have as good service. It sounds like a nice yard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Emma wardo112233

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Around €40 a week if you need facilities and horses cared for. Less if you just need a field. I was able to put my horse out for a holiday for €30 a week in a large stud railed paddock with just 2 other horses.

Where about is this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Where about is this.

Last post is 2 years ago so things might have changed.

Advertisement