Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a Health Insurance policy and levy

Options
  • 17-09-2015 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I just cancelled an Aviva health insurance policy for my wife and son as she (my wife) has started a new job and they cover all of us.

We only signed up for Aviva in May and are moving to Laya.

They were helpful enough with the cancellation until they advised me that the entire fee was roughly €420 as we've to pay out the government levy for the remainder of the year, even though we'll be paying this on the new policy as well.

They never advised us of the specific cancellation penalties, just that there would be some, and claim that they've covered themselves by doing so.

I've spoken to a supervisor, a lovely grumpy man and he basically advised me that he's happy they've covered their asses and that I can opt not to pay it when they send me out the invoice and there won't be any ramifications.

Has this happened anyone else? I'm suspicious about it and, also, cannot believe that this situation exists given that the Government are supposed tio be encouraging us to have private health insurance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Did you receive a policy booklet from Aviva? The cancellation terms and conditions are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it possible you can get the levy refunded as you are taking out another health policy paying the levy a 2nd time? This is the way it works when you cancel a credit card and take out another, you don't pay that levy twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

No you can't get a refund of the levy, it's not actually billed to an individual person it's billed to the health insurers per policy taken out

Advertisement