Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone insurance claim x1 -do I have to declare this to other insurers at renewal time

• 17-09-2015 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Ive phone insurance Ive never claimed on and Ive cracked the phone screen

If I claim on my phone insurance do I have to declare this to other insurers for e.g. my car insurance and my home insurance etc at time of renewal when they ask have you had a claim in the last 5 years.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

worded wrote: »
    If I claim on my phone insurance do I have to declare this to other insurers for e.g. my car insurance and my home insurance etc at time of renewal when they ask have you had a claim in the last 5 years.

No, the question on car or home insurance relates that category of insurance only i.e. if you have a claim on your car policy, it has no effect on your home policy and v.v. So you can claim all you like on phone policies and your home and car policies won't be affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

coylemj wrote: »
    No, the question on car or home insurance relates that category of insurance only i.e. if you have a claim on your car policy, it has no effect on your home policy and v.v. So you can claim all you like on phone policies and your home and car policies won't be affected.

You must disclose previous claims for the class of cover that you are proposing. Standard Household Cover has fire & theft which would also include phones. Accidental Damage and All Risks provide even wider cover. I would disclose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

You must disclose previous claims for the class of cover that you are proposing. Standard Household Cover has fire & theft which would also include phones. Accidental Damage and All Risks provide even wider cover. I would disclose

Interesting, thanks.

I heard that if you have house insurance and say you have an alarm but don't use it and you have a flood (unrelated to alarm use) they can refuse a claim as you didn't say you weren't going to use the alarm and the quote didn't reflect the risk. So void claim.

Now how they would know, I don't know.
    Well if you say you have a monitored alarm and its not, that would be one clear way I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

If you make a misrepresentation in an attempt to obtain cover or a reduced premium, it is voidable at the option of the insurer. The alarm example you have given is dealt with in policy conditions. If you declare you have an alarm and forget to set it, or it is out of action for a period, there will be provision for an increased excess or excluding things like cash etc. If you declare you have an alarm and none is installed, they could refuse a claim

For insurers to refuse a flood claim on the basis of no alarm being set when the flood occurred would not stand up. The breach would be deemed too remote to the loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭worded

If you make a misrepresentation in an attempt to obtain cover or a reduced premium, it is voidable at the option of the insurer. The alarm example you have given is dealt with in policy conditions. If you declare you have an alarm and forget to set it, or it is out of action for a period, there will be provision for an increased excess or excluding things like cash etc. If you declare you have an alarm and none is installed, they could refuse a claim

For insurers to refuse a flood claim on the basis of no alarm being set when the flood occurred would not stand up. The breach would be deemed too remote to the loss

Thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement