Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job from Hell?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Sorry, I'm missing the part about it being a job from hell?

I think this job is more apt: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-34105691

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MsGiggles

33K.......REALLY !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

This is the reality for rank and file public service workers and always has been. Public sector pay is heavily skewed towards the top - would the D4 heads who happily bashed the public servants over the last few years be happy to work for 33K?

Emme wrote: »
    This is the reality for rank and file public service workers and always has been. Public sector pay is heavily skewed towards the top - would the D4 heads who happily bashed the public servants over the last few years be happy to work for 33K?

It is the reality for a lot of workers whether they be public service or not. It is an employers market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,293 ✭✭✭✭endacl

MsGiggles wrote: »
    33K.......REALLY !

The lower end of the scale. Which goes up to €55...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Or post a ridiculous skill set in the assumption that no-one will meet it and promote internally on the basis that no-one is available externally. Jobs for the boys...

endacl wrote: »
    The lower end of the scale. Which goes up to €55...

After how long does it go up to 55

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Max of the Scale is generally 10 years then 2/3 long service increments at 5 year periods so to hit the top could be 20 years i think.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Max of the Scale is generally 10 years then 2/3 long service increments at 5 year periods so to hit the top could be 20 years i think.

Sheesh that is a LONG time!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Or post a ridiculous skill set in the assumption that no-one will meet it and promote internally on the basis that no-one is available externally. Jobs for the boys...

It is unlikely that it is "jobs for the boys" at the level of the job in question.

If an internal candidate has the skills needed they have the same right to apply for the job as anybody else. For most jobs the candidate needs to be able to hit the ground running when they start so the person who knows the job best will be able to do this best.

Internal promotion within the PS is not as common now as it was some years ago. Some PS organizations actively recruit people from outside for certain positions particularly those at a higher level. When people come in from outside the organisation they tend to rely on those at a lower level inside the organisation. This can lead to incompetence all round. The person at a lower level who is often overburdened as it is has to take on more work because the new person at a higher level does not know the organization. There is often a situation where two people are unable to do their job effectively - the person at a lower level who doesn't have time to do their own job because they are spoonfeeding the new person above them and the new person who is on a steep learning curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Sounds like a cushy number : 29 days holidays and the ability to read a manual or google query a problem.

Support Microsoft Office Suite: How to send an email, setup an out of office response, do copy & paste in Word, put an image on a Powerpoint slide. Be able to explain why adding a large attachment to email is a bad idea.

The role is to be a point of contact for the internal staff. The key requirement is to recognise an issue you can't resolve yourself and be able to contact the people who have the contract to maintain the systems.
    Excellent interpersonal skills in providing technical advice and assistance to staff at all levels and in liaison with external providers of IT systems and services

Human interface between the Dummies (internal staff) and the Techies (external support staff).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Emme wrote: »
    It is unlikely that it is "jobs for the boys" at the level of the job in question.

If an internal candidate has the skills needed they have the same right to apply for the job as anybody else. For most jobs the candidate needs to be able to hit the ground running when they start so the person who knows the job best will be able to do this best.

Internal promotion within the PS is not as common now as it was some years ago. Some PS organizations actively recruit people from outside for certain positions particularly those at a higher level. When people come in from outside the organisation they tend to rely on those at a lower level inside the organisation. This can lead to incompetence all round. The person at a lower level who is often overburdened as it is has to take on more work because the new person at a higher level does not know the organization. There is often a situation where two people are unable to do their job effectively - the person at a lower level who doesn't have time to do their own job because they are spoonfeeding the new person above them and the new person who is on a steep learning curve.

At a higher level such as Garda Commisioner (internal) or dept of justice (internal)?? Outside of Patrick Holohan what senior positions have been filled externally since the country went bankrupt?

The Civil Services Arbitration Board is looking for 80 per cent of principal officer posts filled by open competition and 20 per cent by departmental competition, versus the current level of 100 per cent by departmental competition. So yeah - currently a closed shop, facilitated by silly job specs 'seeking' external candidates as per the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Talisman wrote: »
    Sounds like a cushy number : 29 days holidays and the ability to read a manual or google query a problem.

They must be including public holidays here....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How TF is that a job from hell? Plenty of my friends do the same thing for a lot less.

Whats your criteria?

It is an employers market at the moment.

Not in IT its not.

I doubt it. I get 27 days a year excluding public holidays. Not public service by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope.
    syklops wrote: »
    How TF is that a job from hell? Plenty of my friends do the same thing for a lot less.
    Minimum 5 years experience, Computer Science Degree, MCSA and a VCA-DCV, and they're earning less than €33k?

Then they're getting shafted. In the current market the minimum going rate for that job spec is €50k.

seamus wrote: »

Then they're getting shafted. In the current market the minimum going rate for that job spec is €50k.

Which simply demonstrates my point, its no longer an employers market in IT.

"Required Knowledge and experience"
    An honours degree in Computer Science or equivalent related discipline or a professional qualification in a relevant area is essential

A proven track record of relevant experience of not less than five years in an IT environment

A thorough knowledge and relevant experience of compu
    ter applications, IT best practice and
    current technological developments/trends in IT

To be honest the bottom 2 things are the same thing, and anyone with five years experience in this area can should talk their way around the actual qualification requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

seamus wrote:
    Except in practice there is little knowledge and experience and even less responsibility involved.

Where its says VMware ESXi 5.5 & VMware vCenter Server 5.5 as a Technology experience, it means provision or copy VMs, day to day admin.

What it doesnt mean is having responsibility for keeping the VMware infrastructure running, or patching and upgrading the VMware infrastructure or resolving technical issues with the VMware infrastructure - all of that is actually contracted out to third parties. You'll need to manage communication with these third parties and keep management and staff informed etc.

Its a handy number with great flexibility and decent stability, its a bit much to ask for a high salary to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

seamus wrote: »
    Nope.

Minimum 5 years experience, Computer Science Degree, MCSA and a VCA-DCV, and they're earning less than €33k?

Thats a wish-list, at 33k its an entry level job. 5 years usually means 2+, degree means degree alright, msca means can install outlook and VCA-DCV usually means can restart a vm.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

• Advertisement

Even on minimum wage its not a job from hell. Kitchen porter on minimum wage can be pretty tough. Hospital porter, many of whom are on similar amounts, would be more hellish to me than playing with VMware and outlook all day, even if it meant interacting with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

anyone with five years experience in this area can should talk their way around the actual qualification requirements.
    Using the Mrs.Doyle method? "ah sure, go on, go on, go on, go on!"

I'd reckon the qualification requirements are exactly that, additional skills are typically specified under the "Desired (but not essential)" heading.

Using the Mrs.Doyle method? "ah sure, go on, go on, go on, go on!"

I'd reckon the qualification requirements are exactly that, additional skills are typically specified under the "Desired (but not essential)" heading.

Usually its Degree or relevant industrial experience.

Speaking as someone who doesnt have a degree, the relevant industrial experience has gotten me in the door most times..

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Speaking as someone who doesnt have a degree, the relevant industrial experience has gotten me in the door most times..

Man, you should just take a few years off to get a degree. Seriously, it'd be a breeze if you're already good enough to get a job in development and with the paper (+experience) you could like, shoot the door down.

The amount of spare time you'd have would be enough to start a small empire.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some scheming to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,293 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It doesn't necessarily start on the lowest point. Was my point.

I thought it stated on the Job Spec that it was an entry level position and this was the Salary...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Except in practice there is little knowledge and experience and even less responsibility involved.

Where its says VMware ESXi 5.5 & VMware vCenter Server 5.5 as a Technology experience, it means provision or copy VMs, day to day admin.
    Thats a wish-list, at 33k its an entry level job. 5 years usually means 2+, degree means degree alright, msca means can install outlook and VCA-DCV usually means can restart a vm.
    It's my understanding that public sector appointments are strict on qualifications. Yes, an MCSA and a DCV doesn't prove you know anything, but to the best of my knowledge you won't even get a phone call if your CV doesn't meet the requirements.

Obviously outside of the public sector experience trumps all qualifications.

Maybe I'm wrong and someone in the PS can confirm.
    It sure does. It says so right in the spec:
    As per the current Government pay policy, the starting pay for this position will be at the minimum point of the payscale for the position (first point on scale).
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

And you know what? Its not a development role so why is it on the Dev forum :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭booooring!

Seems like it's a level 2 role to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I dont have a leaving cert and experience has gotten me to manager level.

Advertisement