Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Must it be some degree of unborn?

Absolam wrote: »
    Must it be some degree of unborn?

Quid Pro Quo.
    How unborn does a child have to be to be called an unborn child?

Quid Pro Quo.
    Hardly....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sure while we're at it we'll call sperm half an unborn child or half a potential unborn child, sure might as well since some insist in throwing silly terms about. Might as well add yet another silly term to the list.

Hardly....

You appeared to attempt to answer my question with a question of your own.

I'll do you the favour of answering that question if and when you address mine.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Sure while we're at it we'll call sperm half an unborn child or half a potential unborn child, sure might as well since some insist in throwing silly terms about. Might as well add yet another silly term to the list.
    I suspect doing so wouldn't add anything to your pro-choice position, but sure... knock yourself out!

You appeared to attempt to answer my question with a question of your own. I'll do you the favour of answering that question if and when you address mine.
    Oh, I wasn't attempting to answer it. It seems to me that if you can't establish that an unborn child must be some degree of unborn to be called an unborn child, then how unborn it has to be to be called an unborn child is a nonsensical question.

Oh, I wasn't attempting to answer it.
    Shock horror
    It seems to me that if you can't establish that an unborn child must be some degree of unborn to be called an unborn child, then how unborn it has to be to be called an unborn child is a nonsensical question.

On an atomic level, what isn't an unborn child?

Shock horror On an atomic level, what isn't an unborn child?
    That doesn't seem to establish that an unborn child must be some degree of unborn to be called an unborn child, only that on an atomic level everything is composed of atoms.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Shock horror

...I'm waiting for Absolam to come back with some nonsense that because we are all atoms we are all unborn children
    :D

Of course more likely he'll answer a question with a question or simply question dodge like usual.

• Advertisement

That doesn't seem to establish that an unborn child must be some degree of unborn to be called an unborn child, only that on an atomic level everything is composed of atoms.

It's not seeking to establish anything.

I'm trying to understand what you deem reasonable to earn explicitly the moniker of 'unborn child' given that on an atomic level everything is so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Something I've been trying to figure out myself, so I put a small poll up to see what people think.

...I'm waiting for Absolam to come back with some nonsense that because we are all atoms we are all unborn children
    :D
    Of course more likely he'll answer a question with a question or simply question dodge like usual.

Still offering opinions on other peoples behalf I see :D

It's not seeking to establish anything.
    I'm trying to understand what you deem reasonable to earn explicitly the moniker of 'unborn child' given that on an atomic level everything is so.

How exactly is it given?

How exactly is it given?

You were asked this question
    which should help you get to the answer of the question you are now asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I suspect doing so wouldn't add anything to your pro-choice position, but sure... knock yourself one out!

FYP:D

Do anti choice/abortion folks believe that all sperm are sacred?

And if sperm is seen as half a child and/or sacred then should I keep the sock beside my bed warm and damp to incubate them until such time as they can be forcibly implanted into a human woman or am I ok to let it go as I will be doing my daily top up before I sleep tonight (it helps my insomnia)

Just curious??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

frag420 wrote: »

And if sperm is seen as half a child and/or sacred then should I keep the sock beside my bed warm and damp to incubate them until such time as they can be forcibly implanted into a human woman or am I ok to let it go as I will be doing my daily top up before I sleep tonight (it helps my insomnia)

Just curious??

I wonder the same things about my eggs, or is that potential children? I could have another one or two but choose not to. Are we depriving some potential people of life by not having more children. After all, one of those kids could grow up to find the cure for cancer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

eviltwin wrote: »
    I wonder the same things about my eggs, or is that potential children? I could have another one or two but choose not to. Are we depriving some potential people of life by not having more children. After all, one of those kids could grow up to find the cure for cancer :eek:

Potential is a wonderful thing. Forget sperm and egg cells. Given the advances in technology we are pretty much coming to a point where any cell in your body is a "potential human being" if treated correctly in a lab.

I scratched the inside of my nose today. I pretty much committed a holocaust of potential human beings while doing so.

The only thing I tend to say to the anti choice brigade when they call something a "potential" human or "potential" person is that they have done little other than tell me the thing they are talking about is not a human or a person. Because you can not be X and a potential X at the same time. Something is either X or it is not X. And the moment you call it a "potential" X.... you have simply said it is not X.

Has to be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I'm surprised it took this long.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Emmet: I suspect you're in for an Absolam omnibus.

Listening to Colm O'Gorman and Cora Sherlock this morning, the battle-lines over the convention seem drawn. Cora seem's sure the Govt will use the convention to bring abortion into general legal use here outside the existing limits of POLDPA via a referendum. Unfortunately for her, the only way to get a Govt on her side would be a governmental alliance between FF and SF, both apparently being firmly opposed to abortion being made legal here outside the POLDPA borders.

Colm seem's to believe there will be a major struggle to get a successful repeal the 8th referendum vote. Personally, I reckon that nothing should be taken for granted about the 8th being repealed. I'd prefer being pessimistic and waking up surprised with a majority referendum vote to repeal than being optimistic and waking up with the 8th still in legal situ. It'll be the mother of all battles with foreign influence being brought to bear on keeping the status quo.

It might all depend on whether the referendum is held this year or next year to decide the matter.

You were asked this question
    which should help you get to the answer of the question you are now asking.
    No, I'm afraid it doesn't; you're claiming it's a given that on an atomic level everything is an unborn child, but you're not saying how that is a given. Nor can I see how that establishes that an unborn child must be some degree of unborn to be called an unborn child, so you're not exactly moving towards establishing a basis for your question "How unborn does a child have to be to be called an unborn child?".

Given the rather vague way you're responding, I have a feeling this is going to add nothing to the debate; indeed it may already be descending into the kind of vague, unctuous, tedious, word splitting vacuous waffle which makes Robindch so very testy.
    So if you're not presenting a reason to think there actually is a sound basis for your question, we can probably resign ourselves to the fact that it will go unanswered.

Nah, you didn't. You just altered it in order to mock....
    You'll have to find one to ask them I'd say... but as far as I know the concept can be attributed to a Monthy Python sketch mocking Catholic opposition to contraception, so it seems unlikely that anyone anywhere believes all sperm are sacred. If someone does, I imagine they'll correct me.
    Sounds like you're leaping to a conclusion from an assumption there. Whilst your nocturnal habits are no doubt enormously fascinating to you, and may be of some concern to whoever might be unfortunate enough to find themselves in the vicinity of the results (unlikely as that may be), they're probably not a subject anyone on boards is likely to want to discuss, so you're probably ok keeping that particular struggle to yourself.
    Just curious??
    Possibly, but I wouldn't be inclined to opine.

Has to be done!
    Well, at least you found the source of frag420's angst. I shudder to think how much stiffer his socks will be as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,416 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

aloyisious wrote: »
    Cora seem's sure the Govt will use the convention to bring abortion into general legal use here outside the existing limits of POLDPA via a referendum.

Oh NO, the people amending the constitution via the valid constitutional arrangements!!! Ban this sick filth!

Scrap the cap!

aloyisious wrote: »
    It might all depend on whether the referendum is held this year or next year to decide the matter.
    Why?

No, I'm afraid it doesn't; you're claiming it's a given that on an atomic level everything is an unborn child, but you're not saying how that is a given. .
    Correct. I asked you what was not an unborn child. If you can answer that, then what was posted after that might not follow. In fact it might be nonsense.
    If you had answered this question at the time perhaps we wouldn't be this far down the path yet. I will pause and allow you to answer it before continuing.
    Nor can I see how that establishes that an unborn child must be some degree of unborn to be called an unborn child, so you're not exactly moving towards establishing a basis for your question "How unborn does a child have to be to be called an unborn child?".

Well given that the question above which you still haven't answered could give us a very important finding here - that there are an absolutely enormous number of things that are indeed technically 'unborn children', then you can understand why I'm trying to be a bit more precise than simply using the moniker as an atomic scientist could if they so wished choose to.
    Given the rather vague way you're responding, I have a feeling this is going to add nothing to the debate; indeed it may already be descending into the kind of vague, unctuous, tedious, word splitting vacuous waffle which makes Robindch so very testy.
    So if you're not presenting a reason to think there actually is a sound basis for your question, we can probably resign ourselves to the fact that it will go unanswered.

The fingers in the ears approach never really gets anywhere does it?

I think I've been quite clear in my line of questioning, certainly not vague whatsoever. :confused:

Correct. I asked you what was not an unborn child. If you can answer that, then what was posted after that might not follow. In fact it might be nonsense. If you had answered this question at the time perhaps we wouldn't be this far down the path yet. I will pause and allow you to answer it before continuing.
    Well given that the question above which you still haven't answered could give us a very important finding here - that there are an absolutely enormous number of things that are indeed technically 'unborn children', then you can understand why I'm trying to be a bit more precise than simply using the moniker as an atomic scientist could if they so wished choose to.
    The fingers in the ears approach never really gets anywhere does it?
    I think I've been quite clear in my line of questioning, certainly not vague whatsoever. :confused:
    You know, none of that actually sounds like you're even trying to present a reason to think there actually is a sound basis for your question... you just seem to be going further down that vague, unctuous, tedious, word splitting vacuous waffle avenue. Oh well.

Isn't that old tactic of 'make no statements, defend no assertions, can never be shown to be wrong if all you ever do is question others' reasoning' quite an obnoxious way of debating?

I find it quite amazing that after all these thousands of posts (493 in this third iteration alone) you can't tell me what is not included in the term 'unborn child'.

Surely even a single example would prove useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You know, none of that actually sounds like you're even trying to present a reason to think there actually is a sound basis for your question... you just seem to be going further down that vague, unctuous, tedious, word splitting vacuous waffle avenue. Oh well.

Kettle, pot, black.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement